Cheating the App Store?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by DirkRugged, Aug 25, 2009.

1. DirkRugged

DirkRugged Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Games Designer
    At the moment Calgary AB, Canada
    I came across this article this morning and thought I would share it with the rest of you.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/08/22/cheating-the-app-store-pr-firm-has-interns-post-positive-reviews-for-clients/?awesm=tcrn.ch_8B1t&utm_campaign=techcrunch&utm_medium=tcrn.ch-twitter&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_content=techcrunch-sharebutton

We all know things like this have been going on since the start of the app store, and most would agree that it hurting the developers (and in relation the games as well).

I have heard of developers posting their own reviews, but hiring a PR agency to it for you is seems pretty crazy.

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Interesting.
    I have seen quite a few apps which look like they have many shill reviews, but I wondered how they got so many of the shill reviews. Now I know.

[​IMG]

3. Maelick

Maelick Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Read Above
    Myrtle Beach, SC USA
    Honestly this is why, if a game I think blows has a high rating I'm more apt to give it 0 stars rather than judge it fairly. No it's not really fair but if i think it sucks that much it's rating can't be legit.

4. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Well, I can understand a lousy developer like Publisher X cheating (Zen Pinball, anyone?), but IUGO?? Now, that surprises and disturbs me! :(

I'm glad the article came out, along with the offenders. Will definitely make me look at the reviews a little more carefully...

5. IUGOME

IUGOME Well-Known Member

We worked with Reverb briefly from December 2008 to March 2009. Out of our 8 titles on the App Store, they worked on one; Toy Bot 3. We had no knowledge of the supposed juked reviews. We decided to part ways with Reverb as we simply could not afford them.

6. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Although its probably true, there are some inconsistencies in that article.

1. It says that Reverb charge the client $0.75 per app download. At least 1 of those games is only $0.99 thus with Apple's 30% cut the dev makes a loss!
    2. If Reverb had interns doing this, and assuming those listed in the table are their interns why would some of them only post reviews of 3 or 4 of the games? Surely if you're making all this effort to "fix" reviews and such, you'd at least get all the positive reviews up you can?
    3. It would be a horrible task to try and manage - setting up each iTunes account - does that require a unique credit card? Either way you'd have to buy a copy of the game in order to review it.
    4. In the quoted document, the writer has removed sections he deemed irrelevant. Is that simply irreverent to make his point in the article?

I'm not defending Reverb at all, but the article is just inconsistent. Like IUGOME just said, I don't know how any of the smaller devs could afford this kind of service at that price.

7. SeanIvy

SeanIvy Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    3d Designer
    Portsmouth, VA. U.S.A.
    The article mentions the price was from a client proposal, it is possible the amount charged varies depending on the cost of the game represented.

Yes, however using a 'random sampling' of interns is a better way not to get caught (which they still did) if you use all your interns all the time, it makes it more suspicious.

Buying a copy of a game, that you're already getting a kickback on, and then using the review to sell your client even more games, means your company makes even more money. Yeah, I'd say getting 5 copies of a game in order to review it is worth it to them.

I can't really talk on this point, however it could be they were just... irrelevant to the article as they didn't deal with marketing on the app store, but instead dealt with marketing in magazines, etc.

I understand the cost issue, however as I mentioned above, the 'price' from the article was from a quote, and could represent a game at a higher cost from $0.99.

8. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Why do people continue to QQ over this? Is trading promo codes for reviews a better practice?

Who cares?

The appstore itself is founded upon shoddy premises. Top apps ranked by units pushed instead of income generated.

Bitch about that and sound at least a little original?

9. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I was wondering the same thing. Who really cares how a publisher allocates it's advertising budget? With, of course, the exception of Sony:

[​IMG]

10. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Jul 1, 2009
    interesting... this begets one question though:

does that mean all the "new and noteworthy" or "hot apps" or general app store exposure is only determined by the number of reviews one gets? I always thought it was basically a human determined process.

Cause just getting fake reviews being teh factor to get notices seems ... well... wrong somehow. Cause then anyone can always just buy their way to the top 100 (if you do the math right).

Does anyone know if there is there any actually connection between number of reviews (fake or not) and getting exposure? if so, how come I see some same day release in new noteworth and have like only a few reviews.

ie: what is the REAL benefit of doing tons of fake reviews?

that sux if its true... sucks all around. for developers (without massive budgets) and for users who only get to see apps with big budgets to pay for reviews.

11. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    The apps suck, so a bunch of 5 star reviews will get people not in the know to purchase them.

I think Apple is in on it also and will not do anything about it. It's their way of advertising. Just like their commercials bashing Microsoft. Getting a bit off subject here, but... why would you do anything like that? It just makes you look bad.

Personally, I'd be embarrassed to own a Mac seeing those commercials. Keep trying Apple... you'll never be big like M$.

12. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Jul 1, 2009
    truth be told. iTunes itself is fine. But the app store is a mess. its like the n00b days search (engines). that whole system needs a reboot.

13. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

trading promo codes? wouldn't say that was the right word, providing yes, but trading no. The whole purpose of them is for promotion, not as a way to create fake reviews, so yes it is a better practice as there isn't anyone committing fraud, and going off my experience, they often are not used by the review sites you send them to.

People who don't like being conned? Honest developers?

That is a bit of a leap, founded on shoddy premises?

As for ranking by income, completely stupid idea that I read far too often.

There were 10 copies of I am Rich sold I believe, so that would be $9990. So if a $0.99 app sold 10,000 copies which should be the higher ranked app?

Khalid sold his apps for $4.99, if one of them sold 100 copies, and a $0.99 app sold 100 copies which should be the higher ranked app?

14. jonlink

jonlink Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Sasquatch
    Japan
    It isn't just the app store.

From the article:
    Considering this is one of the biggest community forums, it is very likely there are some of these folks on Touch Arcade too.

15. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    No, they're picked by a team each week, regardless of review count. And judging by this article, some of those spots are gotten via PR. That's the part that really irks me, as a developer. There are few featured spots each week, and we all want a shot at them. It's disheartening to know that many of the spots can be acquired, if you know the right people. But, I'm not terribly surprised.

16. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Hmmmmm.....you're kinda new here.....
    ;)

17. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I've heard from various forum members asking advice on this very topic. Devs and these marketing firms have approached members about being an "intern" for this exact activity. My advice is falls along ethical lines...I wouldn't do it because it is deceptive and unethical.

Note that Reverb is not a PR firm. Ethical PR firms do not encourage or participate in this kind of activity. Viral marketing is one thing, but not when you're distorting the truth. My advice with anything is to use more than one source when doing research.

18. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Games tainted by Reverb. Bold ones are iphone games.

Air Conflicts
    Armored Core: Last Raven (PS2)
    Armored Core: Formula Front (PSP)
    Beer Bounce (iPhone)
    Black Sigil
    Billy Frontier (iPhone)
    Brave: The Search for Spirit Dancer (PS2)
    Champions Online
    C.O.R.E
    Critter Crunch (iPhone)
    Cro Mag Rally (iPhone)
    Crusty Demons (Xbox)
    Darkest of Days (PC)
    El Matador (PC)
    Enigmo (iPhone)
    Equestrian Challenge (PC, PS2)
    Flipper Critters (DS)
    Guitar Hero (PS2)
    Guitar Hero II (PS2)
    In the Groove (PS2)
    Jackass the Game (PS2, PSP, DS)
    Juka and the Monophonic Menace (GBA)
    Mercury Meltdown (PSP, PS2, Wii)
    Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia (360)
    Overclocked
    Pinball FX XBLA
    Pirates: The Key of Dreams
    Popolo Crois (PSP)
    Pro Stroke Golf: World Tour 2007 (PSP)
    Reel Deal Slots Blackbeard’s Revenge
    Reel Deal Blackjack (iPhone)
    Reel Deal Card Games 09’
    Reel Deal Hold ‘Em’ (iPhone)
    Reel Deal Poker Millionaire’s Club
    Reel Deal Slots (iPhone)
    Reel Deal Video Poker (iPhone)
    Rock Band
    Rock Band II
    Rocky and Bullwinkle
    RPG Maker 3 (PS2)
    Scurge: Hive (GBA, DS)
    Star Trek Online
    The Punisher: No Mercy
    Whirlwind Over Vietnam (PC)
    Wild Arms: Alter Code F (PS2)
    World Racing 2 (Xbox)
    X3 Terran Conflict
    Xyanide (PC)
    Zen Pinball Rollercoaster (iPhone)

19. jonlink

jonlink Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Sasquatch
    Japan
    #19 jonlink, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    Yup, I joined in May. I post infrequently. I think if you look at what I've posted you'll be able to rest easy. Most of what I've posted, including this now, is fairly worthless from any point of view— especially a PR point o f view
    :rolleyes:

This isn't supposed to be an exhaustive list, right? I mean, you've missed a bunch from the chart on the first page of this thread.

20. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    wow i was unaware that so meny ps2,psp,gba,xbox,ds,and pc games had fake reviews in the appstore