Not-so-popular graphically intensive games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ravensword Lover, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Ravensword Lover

Ravensword Lover Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2013
    #1 Ravensword Lover, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    Well, everyone sure does know what gems remained hidden, thanks to our hidden gems topic. But what about tech demos and other graphically intensive games? Wouldn't you want to know more of them? Then here are three games from me:

-Motorblast
    -Race After 1977
    -Mass Effect Infiltrator (maybe it's not that unknown, but still it doesn't take the attention it deserves)
    -Slender Rising
    -Orc: Vengeance
    -Fibble HD
    -Infinite Warrior
    -Air Mail
    -All Sky Gamblers Games

Keep 'em coming guys!

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Mass effect was decent but not that great. Motorblast is fun but waiting on a update to help on touch 4

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    No.
    I have tech demos installed on the phone only to show off to my friends what it's capable of. Then I hide in a corner and play Organ trail or Enviro-Bear :rolleyes:

*oh and Mass effect was a dissapoinment in every aspect.

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    As for tech demos...no if it cost money I rather buy the game and not have a iap wall I'm looking at you dead trigger.

5. Ravensword Lover

Jan 5, 2013
    Of course, I just wanted to list all of graphically superior games, whether it's great or just good. Btw, I find the character textures in ME brilliant.

6. Ravensword Lover

Jan 5, 2013
    Well...Personally I love seeing my device's capacity and pushing it's limits. But that's just a matter of opinion. For example, I really had fun for some time while playing DT. As a gamer I want to try every type of games, including retro games and graphically insane games, even tech demos. I think they are offering quite fun for a limited time.

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Crazy Hedgy is not only the best 3D platformer on the AppStore, but also one of the best looking games on the platform. It needs more attention.

Most newer Gameloft titles are very impressive graphically, don't know how "popular" TDKR just looks sick on new devices and is completely open world. I would absolutely love it were it not for the crappy button-mashing combat. Likewise NOVA 3 and MC4 are very impressive.

Any of the Sky Gamblers games, again don't know how well known they are but they're good and very impressive.

Bladeslinger looks better than any current gen console game I've ever seen, thanks to being full retina on the iPad and also having some pretty slick realtime, dynamic shadow casting on objects and characters, DOF and a bevy of other goodies. The framerate is rock-solid, too. Pity about the controls. Again this is fairly well known I think.

Not necessarily "graphically intense", but Gunman Clive has a very cool art style that I love. Apocalypse Max is also a winner in the graphical department for 2D platformers/shooters.

We all know and love/hate Dead Trigger as the #1 tech demo.

Dead Space by Ironmonkey (before the merge with Firemint) is still one of the best looking games on the AppStore and is the best horror game to boot. That game is just excellent on so many levels. At the time of release it was well known, but 2 years have past (wow!) and newbies to the platform would do well to check it out.

Slender Rising looks quite good and is an excellent game. The visuals are a good example of graphics serving a game's atmosphere rather than consuming it.

You should already know of and played Bastion, but in case you haven't that game deserves to be on this list. It looks great and plays better.

World of Goo had a great artstyle and looks quite nice. Wish they would update for retina though.

Orc: Vengeance by Chillingo looks good, but it can't scratch that Diablo itch due to a painful lack of loot and linear level design.

Galaxy on Fire 2 looks quite pretty but I could never get into it.

Tiny Troopers is also a great looking game and a lot of fun

Infinite Warrior looks pretty good too, just isn't my style

Air Mail is absolutely gorgeous.

Autumn Dynasty has a very distinct and winning art style.

Combat Arms: Zombies and Desert Zombie: Last Stand are both good looking and boring games. Especially Combat Arms.

Dark Meadow and Horn look excellent, powered by UE3.

Gameloft's Six-Guns is a freemium RDR clone that has some slick visuals and an open world.

8. Ravensword Lover

Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for the long and informative reply.

I've already played most of your list, but that Air Mail is just sick! I can't believe I missed that, thanks again. And I have to say, I strongly disagree with you about Dead Space. I'm also a DS fan (yes, I'm fan of lots of games:p), and I really hated it when I played on my iPad. My main reasons are:

-No dismembertmen on the protagonist (excluding the last boss scene)
    -Awkard and choppy animations
    -Mediocre Necromorph and character models that insult the entire Dead Space franchise.

Anyway, if you are saying it's good, then I'll give it another shot later.

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Oh hell yes!! Crazy Hedgy!!!!!

Also, Bug Heroes!!!

10. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Try Uber Racer. That's got pretty got graphics - glass effect for car windows, dust effect etc.

And a pretty good racer too! It's like a watered down MotorStorm on PS3, where you can choose different routes throughout the race.

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #11 JBRUU, Jan 8, 2013
    By all means give it another go. I've played through the 2 PC games and it's just a textbook example of how to do a tie-in for a big console game IMO.

I actually thought the animations were overall excellent, plus this was one of the first iOS 3D titles to use ragdoll physics. Agree that the necros could use some better textures. Keep in kind that this game was compatible with all iOS device models, though.

Firemonkeys currently have a "secret project" that the press wasn't allowed into while previewing NFS. I hope/pray that it's a DS3 tie-in. God that game would be just unbelievable.

12. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Hmm, not so sure about that. Dead Space was a great game, no doubt, but there were some odd design decisions, graphically. For example, some of the random objects in the background scenery had nice high-res textures, while objects such as the upgrade bench that is accessed throughout the game had horrendous low-res textures. I could never figure out why they would do that.

[​IMG]

13. Ravensword Lover

Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for your replies guys. Looks like Mad Processor is quite good at making 3D masterpieces. Also I forgot to add Fibble HD. One of the good examples of Crytek quality.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Agree about Air Mail, thats a great game and one people should be talking about and playing. Think that crept under the radar a bit

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #15 JBRUU, Jan 8, 2013
    Overall the game looked very good. The corpses lying on the ground even had individual fingers and bloody spines/organs protruding (yes I notice these things :p) and the general feel of the game was one of great detail and care. The poly count was high as well for both Vandal and the necros, and the iPad 2 enhanced version looked even better (extremely irritating that my iPad 3 & 4 only run the iPad 1 version :mad:)

Plus the sound design was very, very good.

16. Ravensword Lover

Jan 5, 2013
    Actually I was talking about the models, or meshes. I think the textures are fine, but models are too blocky too look good IMHO. Still scary, though. But if that DS3 project is true...Oh boy...I'm ready to pay 20 bucks for a solid Dead Space game.

17. Ravensword Lover

Jan 5, 2013
    What the?

I HAVE A IPAD 4, TOO. IS THAT THE REASON WHY GAME LOOKS SO BAD ON MY IPAD??? :eek:

18. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I agree, that's why it was odd that the items under the closest scrutiny often had the poorest textures. They stood out like a sore thumb against most of the game which looked great.

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Before iOS 6 I could mod the game and run most of the iPad 2 enhancements, but then apple locked it down and now you can't modify app files except the saves.

Look at the screenshots for the "HD" version and compare to your own build. There's a big difference in particle effects, AA, necro models, everything. Even some bump mapping. You can't see all of it from the screens but those were the improvements I saw when I hacked it.

20. Ravensword Lover

Jan 5, 2013
    Then our last hope is an update from EA which I don't think it will come.

Maybe we should mail EA about this situation?