Looking for games like [read message body]

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by smsgrafica, Nov 10, 2014.

1. smsgrafica

smsgrafica Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Well, just the classic "Please suggest me a game" question. Be so kind and base your answer on this list:

- Device 6
    - Year Walk
    - The Sailor's Dream
    - Unmechanical
    - Limbo
    - Finding Teddy
    - Oquonie
    - Out There
    - Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery
    - Monument Valley
    - BADLAND
    - Wide Sky
    - Wave Trip

Like the ones on the list above, the game has to be "special" in some way.

I hope you guys can help me out. :)

2. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I'd say

Kairo
    continue?9876543210
    Biosis
    Little Inferno
    Shardlands
    Incoboto
    A Ride Into the Mountains
    Thomas Was Alone
    Botanicula

hit similar levels of surreality/singularity/simple beauty, though I dig anything which takes a sideways, odd look at the Universe, so any more examples would definitely be appreciated.

3. smsgrafica

smsgrafica Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Many thanks for your suggestions, really appreciated! I didn't know any of them, so I'm looking forward to have a go at some.

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #4 Nullzone, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    Not sure if this meets your "special" criteria, but I found a game that is focused on exploring the landscape and all its details (at least for now; Protopop - the dev - already has an update with quests fitting in with the overall feel lined up) to be special enough.
    And sinagog mentions "simple beauty", for which Nimian Legends:Brightridge definitely qualifies, I'd say :)

TA thread is here, it has a lot of screenshots so you can see if it's down your alley. I just read up on Sailor's Dream (and will try it, looks interesting), so you might like it:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=237171

Other than that, those might be for you. As I didn't play any of your games, I'm taking their visual style and overall "strangeness" as criteria:
    Bastion (no idea if it runs on iOS8, though) - action adventure, quite a unique visual and narrative style I think
    Baroque - strange and sometimes outright weird experience, also kind of an action-adventure; but unfortunately does not play too well on iOS (it's a PS2 port)
    Dream Revenant - kind of an exploration/adventure game
    Perils of Man Chapter 1 - interesting adventure, with a touch of quirky humour
    Horn & Lili, and maybe Spiral Episode 1: action adventures, mainly for their visual styles

5. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'll throw in Icycle and Spirits of Spring.

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Sorry for the small thread hijack: Thanks for reminding me of Spirits of Spring, Shaun! Had that on my "need to try this" list, but somehow forgot about it.

Hhmm, its theme reminds of another one, Crow: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=129811

7. sinagog

Aug 15, 2014
    Love Icycle and Crow, and Spring's on the top of that three-hundred foot long scroll of games I need to experience.

Just started playing Sir Benfro's Brilliant Balloon, and it feels as if Terry Gilliam were a game-designer- really amazing artwork. No huge gameplay innovations, and certainly not as dark as most of the Games in the OP, but pretty beautiful nonethless.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I would suggest these too... And the following:

Waking Mars
    Mines of Mars

9. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Special games? The Last Rocket and Incoboto.

10. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Weird Worlds, Its a space roguelike or something like that. Its one of my all time favorites, If you like Out There you should like it.

Popscene
    Hard Time
    Two quirky sims from McDickie, dont let the visuals scare because after you play it you'll see its perfect for the games.

Cheers!

11. smsgrafica

smsgrafica Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks to all of you for the suggestions! :)

12. sinagog

Aug 15, 2014
    Don't hear them mentioned so much anymore, but Zen Bound was an early purveyor in the i-thing's potential for being more immersive than any other platform, and its sequel was just as good.