iPhone Avadon 2: The Corruption (by Spiderweb Software)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Royce, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #1 Royce, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    Someone was asking about this game in another thread, and I realized it didn't have an upcoming thread yet, so I thought I'd start one.

You can read more about Avadon 2 on the developer's site, here:
    http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon2/index.html
    Find more screenshots here:
    http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon2/shots.html

Some key points and screenshots:

It is scheduled for a Fall 2013 release (on iPad, Mac, and Windows)

Update:
    Official trailer is out!

Attached Files:

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Will it be using the Avadon game engine or the Avernum one? Avadon 1's game engine was very slow with weird pauses...

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Afaik it's the same engine. Avadon just came out a year earlier and was Spiderweb's first iOS game, so I suppose the engine may have been improved and optimized for iOS before Avernum came out. That said I never had any weird pauses that I can remember.

On another note, there was a recent interview with the developer on a site called hardcore droid. He didn't say much about Avadon 2, basically this:

But the rest of the interview is worth reading anyway. He touches on his game design in general, inspirations, piracy, his old fashioned monetization model, and a few other things.

http://www.hardcoredroid.com/jeff-vogel-interview/

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Shuteth thee up and taketh thine money!!!

5. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Really looking forward to ot, nice to see an ETA.

6. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Yeah, the original Avadon release had occasional slowdowns due to an autosave feature, I think. They got patched later.

I'm ashamed to say I never did get around to finishing Avadon. Looks like I've got the summer to do it, and try not to get distracted by Baldur's Gate, or Final Fantasy Tactics, or KOTOR, or XCOM, or *head explodes*.

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    While there was a patch, it did not seem to have solved the slowdown issue and just added auto rotation, as far as I could see. That was around the time Avernum: Escape from the Pit was released on iPad.

After completing Avernum 1, I returned to Avadon and it still had slowdown...

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Spiderweb released a trailer last week. I've added it to the first post.

9. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Snap! +1 for yet another lapsed RPG gamer who has yet to finish Avadon. I'm around 3/4 of the way through, but have been side-swiped by a number of other RPGs; more recently, board-games.

What I really like about the SpiderWeb Software interviews that I have read is that Jeff Vogel is old-school in terms of values i.e. his attitude to monetization and piracy, yet believes - as I do - that beneath the thin Monty Haul veneer of RPGs (phat lewt), story-telling, narrative, characterisation and [moral] choices are all important concepts.

I was pleased that amongst his favourite RPGs sits Mass Effect. As I played Mass Effect, I often thought back to how such choices were implemented in Avadon. One of the aspects that I really enjoyed playing Avadon was that the moral choices were not clear, rigid black and white ones, but often hues of grey that perfectly fitted the setting in Avadon.

If I could have one wish for SpiderWeb Software, it would be for sales to justify improving the aural effects e.g. ambient sound based upon location.

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Looks like this should be coming out this month :D

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
  12. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Well, bad news, sort of. Spiderweb just clarified their release date. It's October 30th... for Windows and Mac. Early 2014 now for iPad :(

13. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Hybernating...

14. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Look as The Sim!

15. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    That's okay, I can wait for their games patiently!