Why more and more video games are getting mobile spin-off

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kataria, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Kataria

Kataria Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Since last year, I saw many video games were ported to mobile platform, included borderland, MU, final fantasy series, dragon quest (especially SE), etc. And recently, Forsaken world is also getting its mobile version. So, why did those game companies like to do that? Personally I’m glade to see more video games on iOS. I just worry about these games can't perform well on mobile devices.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Becuase if you want to promote a movie, you have to make as many people aware of what you have to offer.

And what is easier than making a software that is accessible to ANYONE WITH A PHONE? Or a tablet for that matter?

Why promote a game by making a ps4 game, when only 10% of those holding mobile devices have a ps4?

So to answer your question, it is more viable to distribute spinoffs through mobile devices by having access to more users, and mobile apps are cheaper to make too.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Huge userbase as well. If the games half decent then you've got a lot of downloads, a lot of people talking about your game etc.

Mobile versions work fine, just depends on the team they get to work on it

4. KloKi

KloKi Member

Apr 29, 2015
    officier
    Canada
    Since mobile devices’ performances are better than better, they can carry more types of games and show good enough graphic for players. As mentioned forsaken world mobile, its graphic is closing to PC version while bringing a new operating mode for players. Through being ported to mobile platform, a dying game may be relived. So, it is a win-win strategy.

Additionally, I think video game developers have reached their bottleneck. They need the mobile game market. The best way to break into the market is to bring their famous IP in.

5. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Offer mobile games are getting spinoffs too. Check out Asphalt Nitro

6. Kataria

Kataria Member

Apr 28, 2015
    What you've said is reasonable. So, what do you think of these spinoffs? Are they worth playing or just the product for promotion? I was very disappointed about final fantasy mobile games

7. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    It's a business strategy and don't forget the influence of stockholders.

When I was a consultant, a common question for us would be "what is your offshore strategy?" Even though that customer had no interest in offshore, they wanted to know that we had options and were flexible enough to consider it as part of a solutions portfolio.

A lot of mobile apps/games are the same way. These studios and companies feel they must have their own "mobile presence" to show they are not falling behind. Sadly, in the attempt to shoehorn in some sort of app into their offerings the quality often suffers.

In some cases it is a boon though. I would guess that Injustice was an even bigger hit on Mobile than it was on Consoles.

It does feel like it gets watered down. Companion apps to games and movies and now we have companion apps for other apps for Apple Watch. It's all getting a bit silly but that's because this whole mobile thing is still relatively new for a lot of companies. Give it another ten years and a lot of the silliness will fall away.

8. Kataria

Kataria Member

Apr 28, 2015
    But don't know the virtual control is suit for all types of games. From now though, action RPG and racing games are not bad on mobile devices.

9. Ela

Ela Member

May 2, 2015
    Student
    Tempa
    What? First time to know that... was it released?

10. Ela

Ela Member

May 2, 2015
    Student
    Tempa
    Where can I see forsaken world information?

11. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Upcoming iPhone and iPad games,just scroll through the pages and you'll find it.

12. Ela

Ela Member

May 2, 2015
    Student
    Tempa
    ok thanks I found it