Who will make this? (true console quality game)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Tocarina, Jan 12, 2010.

1. I am not really a hardcore gamer (hardcore enough to be on TA, though). I don't own a console, but a few days ago I watched LBP and Uncharted 2 videos, and they blew me away. :eek:
    I thought that the iPhone and it's games are really cool, but, especially LBP looks sooooooo cool. But Sony is the publisher, so it will never be o the iPhone. Gameloft might make a rip-off, but personally their only game that I enjoy(ed) is Avatar, and I tried almost all.

Who will make a real console level game?

There have been many very good attempts, I must say, but after this video, they seem so dull. I think that the hardware is good enough. I can imagine ngmoco trying, but maybe the indies can do it. I would love to see LBP on iPhone. Illusion labs could make this too, graphics from Sway+Labyrinth 2 level editor and multiplayer+super ultra polish (standard)=Console quality game I would pay at least 10 euros for. Maybe 20.

What do you think?

2. YOMANx

YOMANx Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    i think it will be ROCKSTAR with GTA

3. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    Sega with its Sonic at the wintersports thingy.

4. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    Thanks for the praise ;)

LBP was actually a pretty big inspiration when it came to the level editor and being able to share your levels easily and play and rate other people's levels as well.

L2 was def our biggest game yet, it took about 9 months for 1-5 of us to do. I guess many think of it as a simple little game, but the editor, the server and community aspects of it, and the dynamic nature of the game make it quite complex. Having said that, I think our next game is going to be a little smaller, sort of a little break. But after that, who knows?! ;)

Those big games you mention take many years to do and with much greater budgets that we can only dream of (we are talking millions and millions of dollars here). I guess Naughty Dog has around 200 employees or so. Gameloft has 4000. So we are quite small by comparison.

5. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

*Prays for Touchgrind 2* ;)

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Even the console versions of those games barely qualify as console-quality games ;)

7. albie09

albie09 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    whats LBP

8. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Little Big Planet

9. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I'd say we have one with NOVA. It feels so much like Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (which is an awesome game).

If you weren't looking for levels and a campaign, I'd say COD: Zombies since it is an actual console game and it feels just like the 360/PS3/PC version.

Wait a sec... What about Driver? It IS a console game. And an awesome one at that.

10. #11 Tocarina, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    Bring on LBP!

Interesting to hear that you were heavily inspired by LBP. If the next game is smaller, I hope the next next one is awesome. (actually that will not make a difference, all of your games are awesome).

But I really think that Illusion Labs could make the iPhone game. Just base it on L2 and add Sway graphics and artstyle (that's why I love LBP, Minigore and Sway so much) and patforming gameplay. But, I am not a dev, so I know nothin', it would probably be very difficult. Actually, I just wanna say that Media Molecule has only 30 employees...

Then I'll just have to buy a PS3...probably better than sitting, waiting, wishing... :(

11. Autilian

Autilian Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    The new unannounced game from Mistwalker could be. But they could go either way, a big epic RPG on iPod or a crap watered down version of blue dragon its hard to tell.

12. villafanart

villafanart New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    You can also buy a PSP, thats the closer youll get to have an actual LBP on the go, and its a great game to say the truth.

The thing here its, we have great A, AA, and even AAA titles for the Iphone (hell Need for speed: Shift its even better than the PSP one) but all of them came from third parties, Apple must make games, and thats when you can ask for something like Uncharted. Another thing is, you said you actually want to pay 10 to 20 bucks for that game, well, LBP for the PSP its $40, and yeah, you cant sell that game for less that that.

Iphone its a great device, but if you want a really deep console experience, i think you should get a PSP. With things like God Of War, LBP, and maybe an Uncharted, its your best option until Apple bring us first party games.

13. You are quite right...That sums up iPhone vs other consoles.
    Apple really has to make some games...Don't they have the Halo designer or somethin'?

14. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    There's GoW on the PSP? :eek:

15. jbone1337

jbone1337 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    are you forgetting its an phone/ipod(not made specifically for gaming).
    So lets look it over,

3" screen, touch controls instead of a standard controller, like 200mb of ram, and probably integrated 32mb or less of graphics(with no fans or good cooling devices!). That puts the limits of these games around the N64/PS1 if that?

if you had a ps3/xbox360 game quality on the iphone/itouch it would probably catch on fire...

So with all these limitations, to make a decently quality game it would probably be a few gigs of space, and then the time/effort to make that game would put it at atleast $20.(which im sure those things would be complained about too much and very few sold).

Then you have to remember that most big name companies will stick to console because thats where the money is. Because the average consumer will pay $0.00-$5.00 per iphone game.

16. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

#17 Oliver, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    I see some differences between the console types and in some way i gave up seeing great stuff like Final Fantasy for the iPhone. Here’s why:

1. Most great games on the other consoles come from the console developers. Take a look at the top 10 Nintendo DS games. Our console developer does not develop games, so everything has to come from other developers.

2. The other consoles are much older than the iPhone or iPod Touch and they did not change the hardware. In fact, Nintendo DS is the same since 2004, while we get a new iPhone generation every year since 2007. So the devs had much more time understanding the consoles hardware. If you write a game for the DS, you know how it works. You know what to do to create great graphics. On the iPhone, this changes every year and even with the third release, we are far away from what the PSP offered in 2004. And even if the next iPhone will have the power (and architecture) to be able to run PSP-like games, the PSP game devs are six years ahead in knowing what to do with the hardware and how.

3. The iPhone does not have physical buttons. You have to create and implement a completely new control scheme. It took Gameloft until MC:S to create a decent control scheme. They are still not there with racing games. Most devs have to create several games to come up with a working scheme. On other consoles, these months or years of work (I’m not joking!) don’t have to be done, because you have the physical buttons and just need to think on how to use them in your game.

4. The AppStore is crowded and more and more games and apps come out every day. Even if you only take the good or mediocre games, you won’t have the time to play them all. But the flood of new and good looking releases increases the pressure on the player, to play them. I have played many DS games for more than half a year, but iPhone games seem to vanish after a few days or weeks, because new stuff is coming. Of course we have mini games because the iPhone is always with us and we can play for a few minutes in the bus, but the flood of mini games reduces the playtime we could spent on real games which offer 40+ hours of playtime. That’s also why most Gameloft titles offer no more than 4-6h of playtime: When most of the players jump to the next game after 6 hours, why should you invest in creating content and polish for 40+ hours of gameplay? Content is also expensive to create. Most games for the iPhone offer content only in the graphics part, but not in the story part.

5. On the iPhone, we do not only play games. On my DS I had three games with me: Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros and Age of Empires. On my iPhone, I have three screens of games. I have tv shows, podcasts, music videos, tons of music, audio books and of course the internet (news pages, usenet, email, twitter, facebook, myspace etc.). But I can only spent the same amount of time I was able to spend to my three DS games. Therefore, the time slots and overall playtime for the games is fragmented and generally shorter. Therefore, to fit in this scheme, games have to be shorter. A deep and involving story needs time to be created and to be played without distractions. I think, for the majority of players, this does not work on the iPhone, because there are too many distractions.

6. The prices are too low and therefore, instead of buying one game a month, we buy four games a week. The price problem can only be solved by the devs. The “buying problem” can only be solved by us gamers, like with restricting our budget to 10 bucks each month.

Since may 2009, many great titles appeared on the iPhone and games like Real Racing, Rolando 2, the remakes of Monkey Island and Simon the Sorcerer and Driver show, that the iPhone is a capable device. But the Hardware, Software and the market at all is far far away from being able to provide long, outstanding and polished games we have on the Nintendo DS and PSP.

I find it interesting, that in some moments I like this and in some moments I hate this. We have really great small titles like Doodle Jump, Canabalt, Labyrinth 2, geoDefense, Bejeweled, Smiles and Peggle. And we have mid-range titles like Avatar, Real Racing, Defender Chronicles, Driver, Rolando 2 or Jet Car Stunts. These games make fun for a few minutes or hours. Most of the time I like that I can play Bejeweled for a few minutes or start Avatar and play it for two hours. But that does not compare with the time I spent in Super Mario Bros or Age of Empires or Final Fantasy. Sadly, I don’t think, that I can give this intensity on the iPhone to a game I was able to give on the DS. There’s too much other stuff to do with the device ;). And the market reacts to this user scheme.

Edit: I forget this:

7. Most devs don’t think about localization. Most DS game are localized. 98% of all games on the iPhone are NOT localized. Even 95% of all AppStore descriptions are not localized (or automatically translated, which is even worse. For me, this means, that I will not buy the game, when it has tons of text in it, like Zenonia. And for a true console experience, I expect text and voiceovers and ingame menus to be fully translated/spoken by professionals. I can’t think of more than a hand full of games which do this, and they are all ports of old “real” games (Simon the Sorcerer etc.).

17. True. The iPhone isn't a console. I was just hoping LBP could come to the iPhone...

18. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I nearly bought a PSP recently, I tried the PSP GO (the slim fold out sliding one) and had a 30 minute play with Gran Turismo. I'm a big GT fan from the PS2 (don't have a PS3 as GT5 isn't out yet)

Anyway, it didn't do it for me. The graphics looked quite pixelated which I was suprised at, it ran smoothly which is the main thing. It felt very slow though, no sense of speed. But I loathed the controls as the PSP has only one analogue control nub and it's tiny. GT needs analog control for acceleration and steering.

I'd been playing Real Racing on the 3GS, a lot, multiplayer, and the analog control of the accelerometer is great for racing games.

I know you can't compare the two games content wise etc but I was seriously going to get a PSP and got totally turned off it.

For those who have one, how do FPS games work? How do you move and 'mouse look'? I wonder as the DPad is on the left as is the analog nub thing, with buttons on the right. N.O.V.A. in control mode 2 is like WASD on the left of the screen and the mouselook on the right. Works great now I'm used to it.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, a real (current) console game was finally released today -- $30 less than the PSP equivalent (and $10 less than the current sale price on the DS). Every indication is that it's the full console game -- and, by the way, it looks and plays beautifully on my 3GS.

If Rockstar succeeds with this, does this change the equation? Can we expect to see other portable console games come to the platform, even if it's months after they're released elsewhere?

Things are getting very interesting...