Anecdotal: The woes of being a one-man show.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by NickFalk, Jun 4, 2010.

1. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Last night I got some proper work done on my next game. It was a true piece of art with arrays inside dictionaries inside dictionaries passing sprites, movements etc. while at the same time deleting the objects no longer needed. It was probably some of the best code I've ever written*.

So what was the problem?

There was no one to share my joy with. I told my wife naturally, but she had no way of understanding my sense of achievement. (Not complaining about her though, I'm equally at loss when she's working on one of her pharmacy articles ). I had no one I could actually show the code who could go: "Hey, that's pretty amazing, you must be a genius worthy of the Nobel Price, not to mention just how stunning you look today! Here, have a cup-cake."

On the bright side, no-one argues with me about over-complicating a piece of code that could have been written in just one line of code... :p

*Might say more about me than the quality of the code.

2. I hear you!

I hang out with social science grad students most of the time. Can't talk about a single programming triumph—nobody even knows what a programming language is.

3. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    And I thought I was the only one!

4. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Haha! I know the feeling too! Not even my friends program. You will get the reward though when you see it in the App Store, and when you get that first check.

I don't know if this is your first game, but it was awesome when I was finally finished with DD (my first). THAT is something others can at least appreciate :)

5. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I'm art/design but I know what you mean. Basically, no one really cares during the process (just because they cannot relate), but it's very gratifying at the end when your product is out there in the world, and you are getting reviews and all sorts of feedback about your work. It definitely makes up for it!

6. JackNg

JackNg Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Game Developer
    I understand that feeling. What we can do is share they joy with a complete product.

7. Old Number 7

Old Number 7 Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Hey, that IS pretty amazing!!!, you have to be a genius worthy of the Nobel Price, not to mention just how stunning you look today! Here, have this cup cake that I spent 2 hours baking!

:) But I understand your pain, as a social science student I usually cannot discuss things I have achieved with my friends, seeing as how they are all math majors :rolleyes:

But if you have time to spare I would love to hear more specific things about your "best piece of coding ever." and im not being sarcastic, I just enjoy listening to peoples stories and learning.:D

8. NickFalk

Thanks a lot guys! Nice to see that I'm not alone. Loved the cupcake Old Number 7.

9. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

My business partner feels your pain. I don't know anything about coding so he does it all, then when I ask "how's it going?" I can't really give much in the way of feedback aside from "oh good" haha

10. StevePerks

StevePerks Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Nice anecdote, and one that I have certainly experienced as well. And I thought your post "The woes of being a one-man show" was going to be another "I've only sold 3 copies of my game in one week" ;)

I too, sometimes look over code I've written and think WOW I created that! It actually does something really amazing. Maybe we could start a new thread dedicated to posting snippets of code that have infused us with a sense of pride.

Photos of our stunning looks are optional.

11. NickFalk

We should make a calendar! :D

12. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    I agree, the process can be a drag sometimes, but the end result is what matters, reading reviews and user comments more than makes up for that, of course seeing the piracy numbers is quite the downer!