iOS gaming versus Consoles

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Firebird2002, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Firebird2002

Firebird2002 Active Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I am new and just wondering how many people here finds iOS gaming a little more fun than consoles gaming.
    I personally do because paying for console games became too much and now with an iOS device I can have the same fun experience for a fraction of the price.
    Sure the graphics are dumbed down, but I have gotten the same fun factor experience if not more.
    Consoles for me is more for when I have a break from college and with an iPhone or Ipad I am able to play anywhere on the go.
    There is no disk changing or misplacing games or waiting all night for a stupid game to be released.
    I just personally feel like I can finally play a game and not worry about making it to a save point before I leave my house and not glued to my tv.
    I had the psp a long time ago and it was not for me, it seemed to have a horrible game selection and the quality sucked for the price.
    I am not trying to say console games are bad, just they are so dang pricey and it gets annoying worrying about if a disk gets destroyed or not.
    What is your guys opinions of Console vs. iOS

2. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    iOS doesn't have Skyrim.

/discussion

But really, iPod Touch games are fun and all, but it's a rare occasion if an iOS game elicits the same kinds of emotion or connection that comes from playing a good console game like Uncharted 3 or Mass Effect. Or, yes, Skyrim. I never feel like I have to keep playing an iOS game for more than ten minutes, but today I had to force myself to leave my Skyrim playthrough to finish some homework.

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #3 S.I.D. CrAzY, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    I hadn't thought of that myself, but it's true for me as well. No iOS game has done that and I can name so many games on consoles or in some cases other handhelds, but more so consoles that have done this for me.

It's not even close for me. Consoles any day over iOS.I don't mind paying more for a better experience(to me).

iOS hasn't even caught up to the PSP/DS for me yet.

Just my opinion of course, nothing wrong with liking iOS more.

4. Firebird2002

Nov 30, 2011
    #4 Firebird2002, Nov 30, 2011
    I do agree with you guys, just to me I feel like iOS is something different and it doesn't require too much time which is something I really do not have lol.
    For me console games became slightly boring due to the feeling it's been all done before.
    Maybe the reason I prefer iOS is because console games stopped to impress me since I played a few that I absolutely loved.
    The best racing game- Midnight Club 3 and MCLA
    RPG- Fable: the lost chapters (the other two Fable games lost the whole part in which the story actually went together perfectly)
    Shooter- I loved Battlefield 2 and waiting for 3 to blow me off of my socks, only game I consider buying.

I will admit there is a lot that is needed to be done to iOS games before it is even comparable to consoles like online talking on the mic and length and etc...
    I see iOS as a baby still and its growing up fast.
    You have to admit games like infinity blade, Dark Meadow, Modern Combat 3, and Shadowgun impressed us and are major mile markers and kind of shows what iOS can be and shows the potential in it.

5. tx8305

tx8305 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    iOS gaming has it's place. It offers cheap entertainment that I have with me on the go. With that said, it doesn't hold a candle to console or portable gaming in my opinion.

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    #6 S.I.D. CrAzY, Nov 30, 2011
    @Firebird

I agree with you on that.

I don't have a lot of time either, with two small children in the house. I do play on consoles a lot less that I used to in my "younger" days.

I don't know if I'm pickier or if consoles games are getting stale, but I find myself harder to impress by console games that I was before. There's so many games that are loved by so many people, but never manage to grab my attention for some reason, they're just boring. Still better than iOS(the games you mentioned, Infinity Blade, Shadow Gun, weren't impressive to me, graphics wise maybe, but that wore off quick), but not as good as I remember them being in high school.

It might just be because there are less console JRPG's this gen, which is my favorite genre.

All I have to look forward to next year, that I can think of is Mass Effect 3, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, and Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS(not sure of the release date if any)

7. tx8305

tx8305 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    I hear you on the JRPG thing. That is one of my favorite genres and it's sad seeing how few have seen releases on the home consoles. With that said, if you haven't already, check out the DS/PSP JRPG library. There are excellent selections on both platforms.

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Yep the PSP has been my JRPG savior this gen, I don't have a DS at the moment, but I played so many of it's JRPGs as well.

Plus I have a 3ds on the way and will catch up with some missing DS titles I never played.

That being said, I'd still prefer a console JRPG.

9. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I hate when people compare iOS gaming to consoles.

Consoles are superior in almost any way. That being said if a game is good than its worth the $60 I have to pay for a console. 6 $10 iOS games still can't match the quality of 1 console game, but for $6 I get 6 high quality EA/Gameloft games when there on sale thats a hella good deal.]

I used to game on my PSP and DS, but when I got my iPhone 4 and iPad. Those were useless. The games for them cost $40 and I figured I rather just spend $20 and get a great console game or spend $1 for an addictive iOS game.

10. tx8305

tx8305 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    I only play portables for one reason, JRPG's. Otherwise, I agree with you. I'd rather fork out another $10-20 for a console game or stick to cheap iOS games to occupy me on the go.

11. Firebird2002

Nov 30, 2011
    A lot of great points here, I do agree with S.I.D. that a lot of popular games seemed to bore me too.
    Console games and iOS is two seperate things, I use to game a lot on my console then college happened and then my PS3 needed a hard reset which sucked, everything for the past 3-5 years lost haha.
    The last game I remember though that had me glued to my seat waiting for more was God of War III, that was a great game, epic storyline.
    iOS games does lack that epic storyline.
    To me as of now, I love the touch screen feel and portability of the iOS devices.
    You got to admit a dollar for 2-6 hours of entertainment is pretty awesome, especially when games go on sale.

I am convensed not to compare the two, but iOS is great for people like S.I.D and me who doesn't have a whole lot of time to sit down and play games on the console.

12. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    iOS wins out on many things but it definitely is NOT the better gaming device.

The question is flawed as both devices are good at different things. iOS is good because it's cheep, it offers good quality gaming at really low prices. Ask yourself what PS3 game will you get for 99c that is as good as Fruit Ninja, or Angry Birds?

The other reason iOS is good is that it's portable. There is no other gaming device in which you can play games on the move for such a small price. Sure there are the Nintendo 3DS and the PSP (Upcoming Vita too) but you are paying $200+ for the console (Same price as iPod) and they are limited in what they can do. Why would you listen to music on them, watch videos and search the web when you have an iPod?

The thing is you can get a new release on an iPod for possibly 99c. Compared to a 3DS which can be up to $55.

But we are comparing it to the console after all. The console wins as the story's manage to connect to the gamers. The tools developers have to develop these games are huge compared to the limited software iOS developers have to use. But that is because console games have been developing over the past 20-30 years compared to mobile games which have been predominantly the last 10 years. So the reason we have the games we do on consoles is due to the fact that developers have more things they can do.

With the software and experience they are able to make longer, more in depth games that offer gamers are brilliant experience.

Another reason is the controls. iOS is limited due to controls, sure developers can make custom controls on iOS but they are likely to get in the way of the gameplay. You have to ask yourself. What is iOS? It's a touch screen device not designed to have physical controls. As for consoles they have physical controls which have lot's of buttons which suit different players playing styles. Over the years these controls have stayed the same with every new console and for that reason every game uses the same control scheme making it easy for gamers to pick up the control and play.

At the end of the day it's your own opinion but for me the console wins. That's coming from a guy who revies, tests and previews iOS games for a living by the way.

13. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm going to chime in:

For quite sometime, I've been a big proponent for games on the iOS platform. I began my infatuation with the iPad, then iPad 2. My biggest reason, for upgrading to iPad 2 - was the power it could add, by enhancing games. Needless to say, I've been most disappointed. Nothing has captivated and wowed me. In fact, I've been underwhelmed.

Over the past couple years, you hear stories from 2nd gen iPod Touch owners, being phased out of the gaming loop. Apple likes to obsolete their devices annually, forcing those of us who like the latest experiences to upgrade. Through the upgrade, there hasn't been anything worth the cost of the device.

iOS is more and more, seeming to encompass casual/retro styled experiences.

I've since shifted attention to my 3DS. I'm happier to own one. It was gaming (lack of good fulfilling iOS games on iPad) which shifted my attention to 3DS when I received the price cut.

I've picked up quite a few games and am excited for the upcoming ones, too.

I have Arkham City, Skyrim, Dark Souls, RAGE, etc...but my game of the year (didn't expect it) is Super Mario 3D Land. I'm in nirvana with the game. It's bliss, my inner child is dancing like I did when I got Super Mario Bros 3 for NES (birthday) when I was 9.

I'm loving 360 and 3DS far more than the shovel ware that's worse than wii, that's taking over ios. Not to mention the freemium thing is a turn off.

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #14 backtothis, Nov 30, 2011
    There's really no contest between the two in terms of gaming power. There never has been. This is coming from the one of the biggest iOS fans you'll ever talk to. The point is that the iOS can hit a lot of spots that a PS3/360/PC can't. Triggy pretty much hits everything on target. Extremely portable, games with the cheapest prices in the history of the industry, convenient, perfect for gamers with limited time, part of a multimedia device capable of many other functions (I use the internet, Twitter, Facebook, AIM, etc. For most, it's also a phone and texting device), the best community you could ask for, and more selections than any other platform: there's genuinely something on the AppStore for everyone.

The games on the iOS don't compare to the games on consoles technically, but in terms of fun, I believe many people do enjoy the iOS more. Not to mention, millions of people who have never played a video game in their lives were introduced to Angry Birds, which no doubt led to other games on the AppStore. Also, if you look at the 2011 stats for the gaming industry, you'll see that the iOS is definitely here to stay as one of the big players.

@Pacific: SM3DL for the win. It's honestly as good as it gets.

15. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    For me, there's not much comparison between iOS and Consoles, mainly because they serve two very different purposes (iOS---portable, cheap, less quality than consoles, Consoles---non portable, expensive, more quality than iOS). A better comparison would be (from a non-fanboy in either direction stand point) iOS versus Nintendo versus PSP. That way you're comparing all the portable systems together, instead of everything in the mix...

16. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I'm gonna make this short and sweet.
    I find most console games boring. I find most iOS games exciting.
    Do iOS games match in quality? NO. Do they match in quantity? NO. Are they more fun? Yes, hell yes.
    I'd rather play through any of the games on my 2nd page of my iPod (which consists of ME, S&S, Puzzle Agent, Dead Space, LEGO HP, and other top notch games) than most of the console games that I have, or are on store shelves.

My opinion. My choices. My words. Deal with it.

17. chase123

chase123 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Pakistan,Karachi.
    Why would you want to have a game as Fruit Ninja or Angry Birds on the PS3?

18. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    iOS is getting there. It's too early to make a comparison.

19. tx8305

tx8305 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Freemium is going to impede that progress unless things change.

20. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Consoles > Portables > iOS.

But the fact that iOS can do so much more than just games, is tremendous value.

But games wise, games with higher production value (consoles, portables) have a lot more depth, and when done right, can be near flawless.

Not saying iOS games can't be flawless- it's just much more satisfying when on the consoles/portables.