Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-06-2014, 01:13 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Pile looks cool. You guys know how to do great puzzle games

Oh, and of course attempts to spread the word on Mr. Flap elsewhere is useless. Made a post on Reddit, shared my opinions, downvotes instantly.

I think what awp69 said in the GOTW thread is right. If this game had a different name and you controlled a plain square, no one would have any issues. Actually I'm really curious what would happen if you released like Mr. Bounce and it's the same exact gameplay, same visual style, only with a different character, if people would react the same way

Last edited by Bronxsta; 03-06-2014 at 01:15 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 12:28 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Congrats on the third place win in the GOTW poll
Old 03-07-2014, 11:25 AM

Thanks all for your votes! This week has been full of good games so it's amazing that Mr Flap ended on the third place.

I think you are right about the flappy bashing. But we can't change the name of the game now. It's also true that the 'general public' is looking for flappy games. We managed to maintain our 3rd position in the French App Store for several days because Mr Flap is a bird that flaps and people are looking for that kind of games right now. Of course gaming journalists and gamers are already fed up with the flappy games. We can't satisfy both kinds of users

Good news: 10 Million birds killed in exactly one week

BTW, we managed to (almost) fix the framerate issue! In the next update we'll also reduce the frequency of the ads because too much ads is counterproductive.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:58 AM

Good work lol seriously I love that game, very nice design. Thank you for the larger size on iPad
Old 03-08-2014, 07:42 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Really loving this game. The controls feel tight and I love the minimal graphics and sound design.

I like that you are scored for each whole circle rather than each hurdle, thus adding to the challenge.

Problem I have are occasional slowdowns (dropped framerate). It's strange because it can last until I die and then it's all smooth again. This happens on both my iPhone 5 and iPad Air.
I know what causes the slowdown. It is when the game is trying to to sign into Game Center. Once it says "Welcome back XXX" it's ok after that. However if decide not to sign in (sometimes I don't want to share what I'm playing with others) I experience the slowdown for the entire round until I die.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
I know what causes the slowdown. It is when the game is trying to to sign into Game Center. Once it says "Welcome back XXX" it's ok after that. However if decide not to sign in (sometimes I don't want to share what I'm playing with others) I experience the slowdown for the entire round until I die.
Thanks

We came to the exact same analysis! But the cause is not what you think: the Game Center is not responsible for the slowdown, it actually remove the slowdown! Once it says 'Welcome back', it stops the slowdown. If you decide not to sign in, the slowdown is not stopped.

It seems that OpenGL views can't be animated properly. In the current version, we animate the OpenGL view at the beginning of the first round, which causes the slowdown. If, by any chance, another view overlaps the OpenGL view (e.g. the Game Center banner if it is still on screen), the OpenGL view stops being slow. The slowdown eventually stops at the end of the first round since there is another view that overlaps the OpenGL view.

We already fixed this issue for the next update!
Old 03-08-2014, 08:40 AM
In Time-Out
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I hate welcome back on Game Center. Had to removed it with a jailbreak. Worst when playing Super Hexagon.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
I hate welcome back on Game Center. Had to removed it with a jailbreak. Worst when playing Super Hexagon.
Yeah you can guarantee it pops up at the worse moment
Old 03-08-2014, 09:58 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Button View Post
Thanks all for your votes! This week has been full of good games so it's amazing that Mr Flap ended on the third place.

I think you are right about the flappy bashing. But we can't change the name of the game now. It's also true that the 'general public' is looking for flappy games. We managed to maintain our 3rd position in the French App Store for several days because Mr Flap is a bird that flaps and people are looking for that kind of games right now. Of course gaming journalists and gamers are already fed up with the flappy games. We can't satisfy both kinds of users

Good news: 10 Million birds killed in exactly one week

BTW, we managed to (almost) fix the framerate issue! In the next update we'll also reduce the frequency of the ads because too much ads is counterproductive.
Yup, theory confirmed

Quote:
- I'm curious, those who are downvoting, have you tried the game or are you simply downvoting because it's a game with Flap in the title?
- Yes. That's exactly why. Stop saturating the App Store with this shit.
Sad that people won't even try a game because of a preconceived notion about the game due to its title
Old 03-08-2014, 02:17 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Button View Post
Thanks

We came to the exact same analysis! But the cause is not what you think: the Game Center is not responsible for the slowdown, it actually remove the slowdown! Once it says 'Welcome back', it stops the slowdown. If you decide not to sign in, the slowdown is not stopped.

It seems that OpenGL views can't be animated properly. In the current version, we animate the OpenGL view at the beginning of the first round, which causes the slowdown. If, by any chance, another view overlaps the OpenGL view (e.g. the Game Center banner if it is still on screen), the OpenGL view stops being slow. The slowdown eventually stops at the end of the first round since there is another view that overlaps the OpenGL view.

We already fixed this issue for the next update!
Amazing! Thank you very much. Good to see developers with support like this.