Kill the Plumber - play as the plumber's enemies in this reverse Mario type game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by keybol, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    #1 keybol, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    In collaboration with Izzy, I had fun making and playing this. I think we have found a formula that makes playing as enemy work. I followed Koichi Hayashida's formula for the game design. That is, introduce, develop, twist and conclude an idea.

In this game, there will be 4 levels per enemy. Don't worry if you crave for more, we have bonus levels called Lost Levels.
    So far we have 8 playable enemies such as normal goomba, spiky, axe thrower, ghost, thwomp, and final boss in the castle!
    Also the little game manual is something I put in just for fun.

Here are some videos and screenshots

Stay tuned for updates!

2. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Cute premise.

3. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Nice idea and graphics, but I'm a bit worried about how the implementation will work.

4. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    #4 keybol, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    I did consider how controlling the enemy will work as a game. It took me weeks to finalize with the idea. I had to consider that the plumber as the enemy is not dumb and will jump when you get near them. So you have to work around that. If the plumber gets past you then it's a level failed. What I thought of doing is similar to NES Remix or Wario Ware, simple puzzle, or timing based levels that challenge you right at the start. We have 48 levels so far and each one feels great to play over again to beat your highscore. The achievements will also challenge you like beating a level with no jump, hitting the plumber when it looks impossible, hitting the plumber before timer runs out and more.

5. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Have you ever been in a Boss Fight where you are the boss?
    Here's a sample:

6. HarrisHunter

HarrisHunter Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Wow, looks great. Really good looking gameplay.

7. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    After seeing these videos my concerns have been laid to rest :) Eagerly awaiting release :D

8. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Nice graphics. Look at the screenshots at first time, I thought that it's a Mario game. Did anyone have same feeling with me?

9. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Thanks guys!

I saw the game previewed on another site which boosts our morale more and of course your encouragements.
    As a thank you I made more new levels! Big Ghost chase! a boss chase level where you are the one chasing. There are also some minigames inspired levels like shuffling and also, here's a preview on how to play as Bullette! It also shows that sometimes in a level you will control more than one simultaneous enemies!

10. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    The single, most enticing factor a game can have to get me excited is originality. This looks as unique as they come so I'm very much looking forward to this! Good luck guys.

11. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    #11 keybol, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    A big thank you!

Thank you guys! Please help us share the world, we got some awesome reward for you.
    In case you don't know, I am also the creator of Pretentious Game on iOS, Android and Steam. I posted a new improved version videocap of the game here
    https://www.facebook.com/pretentiousgame?fref=nf

12. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    trailer draft

I put up a simple draft for the trailer. What do you think?

13. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
  14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This looks really good. Cant wait for it to go live and get my hands on.

15. Jimmy.

Jimmy. Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Absolutely love it! :)

This game is something that has never been done before! and the ability to play as the bosses and go after the plumber for a change ;) hehe i am going to enjoy this game a little to much that's for sure ^^

Also i wanted to point out that the dev of this game is a good friend of mine and he does some pretty incredible work! So i encourage you all to give this game a try when it releases because i know you wont be disappointed at all that's for sure.

16. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Initial porting to mobile

Thanks guys! Here's a video of the game played on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 (There will be iOS version, I just use this to test the game on a slow device since I know iPhone 4S plays well better than this one and also I'm using my iPhone here to take the video :D )This is the 1st day of porting after everything is laid out and playtested. I can say there are still some hiccups but it's pretty fascinating I could achieve such good frame rate removing only a few effects and some of the assets are still vector. Once everything is optimized, I will get back those effects like transition so you get to play the game as good as the PC version.

17. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    #17 keybol, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    playing on my iPhone 5

18. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    My wife playing

Here's a video of my wife playing and beating one of the hardest levels in Kill the Plumber

19. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    We are adding a World Map level selection screen[​IMG]

20. FRACTURES

FRACTURES Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Why has no one done this before? Kill The Plumber sounds quite extreme however, Get The Plumber would be a little 'nicer' for a colourful, casual game of this sort imo.