Universal Twisty Planets - (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 11, 2014.

1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for sending these, we will try to get the Game Center stuff fixed in the next update for sure!

2. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I agree, controls are too clunky/twitchy

3. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Yeah I agree that the controls seem a bit loose - I have fallen off the side a few times when trying to rotate the cube.

The Game Center Achievements seem off too - I have more than enough under the time limit and yet they aren't registering?

4. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    twitchy or loose? Not sure if you guys know but you can also tap anywhere to move the character. Maybe we should introduce a little delay when the character moves so that you don't jump off ledges so quick.

5. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    You have buttons to move the character what about buttons to twist the planet? Far more accurate than swiping with this type of game

With an opacity option they would not interfere with the look of the game too much either

GaZ

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Congrats on the release Josh. You sure know how to pick 'em. ;) I literally just bought the iOS version after reading that Pocket Gamer review, but I'm curious...any estimate for the Android release? Also, any idea what pricing model you're aiming for? Will it be a premium release like this version?

7. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Thanks! Probably a few weeks for Android - just a guess.
    Also, buttons for world rotation sounds like a cool option. I think they are also working on a new set of levels next!

8. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #28 BrettArchibald, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    I just can't play a game like this by tapping buttons in all four different corners of the screen. It's just too clunky. :(

What about one-finger swiping anywhere onscreen to move the character, and two-finger swiping to rotate the cubes platform?

9. You can already tap anywhere on the screen to move him. Swiping for both sets of controls would be too confusing.

10. pkmvancouver

pkmvancouver Guest

price drop?

That was quick...

[​IMG]

11. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The four corner buttons for movement are fine, I just don't understand why the planet rotation wasn't tied to one specific area with slots to rotate lock into. I imagine one finger placed underneath the planet being able to rotate it into any direction, it's a tad confusing swiping in 6 different directions in 3 different locations. Now you tie in a 1 minute timer and accidents happen so fast. Or add in a casual mode to remove the timer portion of the game.

12. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    it was actually available by accident as an unfinished build at that price, and only for a few minutes before we pulled it and submitted the correct version.

13. The timer is just a bonus. You can take as long as you want to complete a level. That's casual mode.

14. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    There is a slight bug in the game: I turn the background music off whilst playing a level (via the slide-out panel), and then as soon as I finish that level and move on to the next level, the background music has come back on again!

15. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    #35 BrettArchibald, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Confusing for you, maybe. Not for me.
    And the tap-anywhere method does not work as it is meant to, and it is very imprecise: on many occasions I have tapped on one certain block, only to see my character move to an entirely different block, or worse, fall off into space!
    I do not like virtual buttons on my touchscreen gaming, and I would be perfectly happy with the tap-anywhere method if it worked. But it doesn't work. As such, I think a directional swipe would be much more precise and intuitive.
    If it wasn't for the fact that two control methods are required in this game (one to move the character, and another to move the planet), and if there was only one control method, then directional-swiping would be the obvious choice. I personally feel that the devs have got the two control methods the wrong way around (if it *has* to be buttons for one and swiping for the other) - I'd much rather swipe to move my character than swipe to rotate the planet.

I would be fine with two-finger swiping to move the planet, or any other method to move the planet, such as virtual buttons, or a toggle-switch to alternate between moving character vs planet. Anything else, but please, just let me use directional-swiping to move my character.

I would still prefer to swipe for both character AND planet though, because once you've tapped on the screen, that movement is commited and there is no way to stop it even if it means your character is going to fall off the planet. But a swiping-rotation of the planet can be a gradual and slow movement which allows you to foresee the consequences of this movement as it is happening, and you can change your mind after you've started and to reverse the rotation back to how it was instead of fully-committing to the rotation.

Crescent Moon Games, please at least take this suggestion into consideration. Thank-you. :)

16. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    By the way, just to say, apart from my issues with the control-methods, I am totally loving this game! :)

17. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    LOVE the game, HATE the controls

This could have been so much better, maybe it's not too late to sort out, fingers crossed

GaZ

18. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    #38 GaZ-OiD, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    I shave my head but if I had hair, I would have pulled it all out by now....

Game is just a frustration fest with these controls

It would be nice to know one way or the other if this will or will not be addressed in an update?

GaZ

19. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    #39 farley, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Yeah, same thoughts here. Dev, any word?
    We're not asking for you to tell us WHEN we can expect an update on the controls, but if you could just tell us *IF* we can expect an update on the controls. Thanx!

20. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    I don't mind putting the game on the back burner if a new controll method is confirmed.
    It is a good game but frustration is winning out which is a real shame :(

GaZ