Best iPad word games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SuperWeird, Jun 7, 2011.

1. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    There's already a best word games post on TA: (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=42482), but it's riddled with iPhone/iPod touch games. Instead of sorting through it all to find the best iPad games, I thought it would be appropriate to start a new list of awesome word games specifically for the iPad (or universal). If you know of other excellent word games for the iPad please share.

Best iPad word games:

- War of Words
    - Abble Dabble
    - WordsWorth
    - Word Solitaire
    - Scrabble
    - Word Avalanche
    - Jumbline 2
    - Scraggle
    - Wordflick
    - Switchword
    - Super Cosmic Word Snake
    - Word Spiral
    - Hangman RSS
    - Table Twister
    - Boggle
    - Words with Friends
    - Worcle
    - Crux
    - Jangle
    - Pyramix
    - Letterfall
    - Word Seek
    - Spellsquares

Out of all of these games, War of Words is my favorite (and it's free).
    I also really like Five-O, it's actually a numbers game but is based directly off of Scrabble.

2. SJack

SJack Active Member

Apr 15, 2011
    aside from the facebook-scrabble thingy - which only works in the US- words with friends does async multiplayer.

do any of the other ipad ones do async?

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Nice list, many of which I am not familiar with and will have to check out.

Moxie 2 HD is a pretty great single-player word game and there is a free version of the original Moxie HD as well.

4. SuperWeird

Dec 9, 2010
    War of Words, Abble Dabble, and WordsWorth are all async multiplayer games.

5. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

I love Word Solitaire HD. The game is hard enough to make me really think, yet I can usually complete each puzzle. I actually like the original iPhone version the best.

It's free right now too, don't know why.

6. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Seven Little Words ... The initial content is free too, very nice game with a crossword theme.

7. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    #7 Red1, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    My favorite word game is not on your list: We Doodle (FREE) by Ngmoco. I've spent more time playing that game than any other, by miles.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/we-doodle/id387630599?mt=8

It's a "Pictionary" type game, where you either draw, or guess what word is being drawn.

The only negative about the game is that it has regular server instability issues and crashes periodically. Still, I keep playing because I'm addicted to it.

8. SuperWeird

Dec 9, 2010
    This game is awesome. I don't know of any other app quite like it, the combo of drawing pictures and guessing words is a great idea. The link you posted is for the iphone version, but there's an HD iPad version also available on the developer's page. Very fun and unique word-art game, been playing it for the past several hours. Thanks for the heads up.

9. SJack

SJack Active Member

Apr 15, 2011
  10. cyberneo

cyberneo Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Cyberia :)
    WordsWorth HD, yeah! Great single player and multi-player (turn-based) options!

11. snoppscar

snoppscar Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Add textblock to the list, very fun word game, a mix between boggle and tetris

12. SuperWeird

Dec 9, 2010
    You're right, it is a mixture of Boggle and Tetris. Never heard of it before now. Great game, thanks for sharing. I'm also enjoying Moxie 2 now, thanks to an earlier recommendation by slewis7.

13. SuperWeird

Dec 9, 2010
    Word Shaker HD is another good word game for the iPad, now available for free with the ad-supported version as of today. It has live multiplayer, but can take awhile to connect unless you're playing with a friend or family member. It's similar to WordSeek or Boggle, but better than either of those games. Definitely worth trying for free.

14. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    SuperWeird, thanks for the recommendation on Word Shaker. The iPad version is on sale for only a buck and along with your suggestion, it is good enough for me.

15. SuperWeird

Dec 9, 2010
    Wooords should definitely be added to the list of great word games for the iPad. It's universal too. This game is awesome.

16. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Just a heads up if you buy Wordsworth HD it will not work when playing opponents on the non HD version, the two games do not communicate with each other. Very disappointed with that.

17. SuperWeird

Dec 9, 2010
    There's a new excellent word game out for the iPad called Back & Forth. (It's actually universal, but the extra screen space is helpful on the iPad). It's a nicely polished game, sharp HD graphics, online multiplayer, solo player puzzles, daily puzzles, etc., all for only 99 cents.

The gameplay is similar to Boggle (it's a word finder), but also very different; tiles can only be matched left right up down or diagonal, but the board can also be turned in any direction to flip around and mix up the letters. Also, neighboring letters can be swapped around to form new words, and as you form words the letters vanish until you've cleared the board. I found myself spinning the iPad around and solving words from every angle. Check it out:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/back-forth/id428845150?mt=8

18. ToySoldier

ToySoldier Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    That's a really cool mechanic of shifting your device to shuffle the letters around. I will definitely have to try it out as I like word games. A lot.

19. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I've really been enjoying Quarrel lately. It's basically Risk meets Scrabble. There is a free version (which is a bit too easy). But right now the $5 Deluxe version is on sale for $0.99.

-
    Edit to mention that it's universal.