Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 02-01-2014, 04:48 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bool Zero View Post
...Apple is not trying to promote a gaming market the least bit.... I don't think they associate software and it's quality as representative of their identity (which they should because just look at the perception of the Android marketplace)...
It's amazing that a brand like Apple considered by many as revolutionary would be so narrow sighted. Unwillingness to support quality on App Store will eventually cost Apple unless they add support beyond GameCenter.
Quote:
As for these new takes on classics... Well, it is the evolution of the industry, whether we like it or not. Games are designed for profitability now and gameplay to entice and coerce that profitability secondary ...would be considered too expensive for its premium asking price,
I agree but add that publishers are now forced into a David/Goliath struggle with indie games forcing more pervasive methods for sneaking in profits. Digital distribution and increasing computer literacy allow an increasingly pool of "average joe" indie developers to release budget games that can compete with traditional studios crashing the market by giving players a chance to scoop up lower cost alternatives traditionally not available. There's also this silly perception many have that nearly every game is an indie title when so many are corporate products disguised as small caliber releases and a weird codependency some gamers have with feeling they need to "support" the little guy justifying away all cash grabs as necessary and logical. True indie development could be Apple's biggest strength if not for the following.
Quote:
...would disappear in the sea of mediocrity that is the AppStore to be overlooked despite its level of quality...
I think this is the central problem we face with iOS gaming, people at large (myself included) see the platform as containing largely disposable fluff not to be taken seriously. I love the accessibility on iOS that anyone can release games that might otherwise not make the cut elsewhere, but there's too much junk - balancing accessibility for developers but only of reasonable content is necessary.
Quote:
I'll be the first to say I don't particularly care for freemium, but it can be done right in some cases...
Same here; I really don't think freemium is the main problem.

Last edited by undeadcow; 02-01-2014 at 05:01 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 02:36 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Congratulations to Aventador for this threads reference on the front page with an interesting read:

http://toucharcade.com/2014/02/03/ia...ames-industry/
Old 02-03-2014, 03:16 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I simply hate freemium, but I've seen it done right. It's EA to blame on this games, and this isn't the first time they've ruined a game with weird iap methods. Just remember Madden NFL
and earliest builds of Real Racing 3. I was really scared when I heard EA acquired Popcap and PvZ 2 was gonna be freemium, and very surprised to see it wasn't so bad. Still if this trend spreads over to Pc/console gaming that would be a nightmare. Problem is games main goal changes in a way I hate: Squeezing most out of every single person. And I wouldn't play a game that was designed/written with this in developers mind. Where is fun in that anyways?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Yeah, it was so sad to see EA put wait timers into Real Racing 3, but wait timers might go to consoles too if they are successful in ios.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:33 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Congratulations to Aventador for this threads reference on the front page with an interesting read:

http://toucharcade.com/2014/02/03/ia...ames-industry/
Thank you.I was going to post a long reply with multi-quotes yesterday but I lost the whole post when battery dried out which gave me a big headache.
We have several threads discussion about freemium and IAPs already, but I wanted to stress out company's that are ruining games with big fan-bases behind them from which most are ready to pay the price once more if game is any good.I mean, having people that are ready to back up the game and cash in, and they just turn their backs to them ?!
I will try my best to reply with long post again tomorrow to several people because I've been a bit vague in my opening and this post.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:47 PM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador View Post
This got me worried lately as we've all seen what has been done with Tales of Phantasia and Dungeon Keeper ( and probably some other ones that don't come to my mind at the moment ).
Old classics being ripped apart and turned into IAP sinkholes in search of whales nostalgic and desperate enough to eat out of their hands.
Those games must be free at all cost to bring in more audience and active consumers, but that comes with a steep price of totally ruined gameplay balance to accustom IAP.Game like this usually doesn't represent or hold any value of classic it once was, furthermore it becomes something disgusting as someone who is familiar with game progresses further into it and sees all the IAP horror.
My question would be :
Why didn't they just released a direct/remastered port and have a huge sale numbers for first month and at least some steady sales during next years , instead of this IAP abomination which will get so many negative reviews and fade into endless sea of other games ?
Mr. Lamborghini, check this out: http://www.baekdal.com/opinion/how-i...-the-industry/