Universal Wayward Souls (by Rocketcat Games) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2014]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 23, 2014.

1. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Just a little fun fact. Every time I play this game I sing "Carry On My Wayward Souls!". Yea, I'm pretty cool like that.

Just trying to keep things on topic #.

2. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hey Kepa, any news on the next update for those of us who don't use Facebook?

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You can access Rocketcat's Facebook page and all info and patch notes therein without a Facebook account.

4. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Cheers, thank you

5. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Was hoping this would go on sale :(

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]

Well, on another note, CONGRATS on being TA's GOTY!!! It's more than deserving. I hope this wave of new devices gets you some nice sales and we can get something more outta ya in the future! =oD

Congrats again!

7. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Woops haven't checked the thread in awhile! I figure I should now that we're Game of the Year for Toucharcade.

Yeah we shoulda done more outdoor environments. A Mage Gauntlet sequel is still planned eventually, just need to make time for it. Maybe in 2016?

I thought we did mention permanent death in the app description. Maybe not. I don't call it a roguelike personally, as I don't like the new meaning of the term. Next game we do in this universe will be more casual, if that helps. More Zelda-y.

I actually really dislike multiple difficulty modes, for various design reasons. I know a lot of people do like them, though. Especially for this game, where my point was to have people win only when they got skilled enough. I'm ok with a big % of people never seeing the true ending.

In January we're likely to do another update. Most likely the one that does dropbox save support. The big content update will probably be in February or March, whatever month we release the game for PC.

Nooo saaales. Not on iOS, anyway. There's sales for the Android version, mostly because I don't control the sales on that platform. I don't like sales too much, and have a stance of not doing them on iOS for the most part. I added "for the most part" because if Apple personally drives down to Rocketcat HQ and tells us to put something on sale, we probably would. But they tend to not do this often. They might for a future game of ours that's more casual.

8. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
  9. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    #3789 darnoc703, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    Does this game have Controller support?

Edit: found that it was added in 1.22 you should add that to the description!

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I respect your decision but you're really going against the tide. It bums me a bit the price has gone up a couple times.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #3791 metalcasket, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    I don't mean this in any disrespectful manner or whatever, but technically the game was on sale at launch (it was known that an increase in price would join every content update way before release) for $4.99 and it's your fault for not picking it up then. Look, the game's worth every single bloody penny you'll ever spend on it...

...and yes, while Kepa was awesome enough to spare me a promo code for the game due to completing one of his pre-release "challenges", I did buy it on Android for full price...

...only to have it drop down to a buck or whatever a couple of weeks later. Did I care? Nah.

12. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia

Just buy the game its worth it

Im one of the day 1 buyer so i get the initial price
    They're adding things on the update and increasing the price is very valid model of pricing

It's less than a cup of coffe @ starbucks in indonesia

Come on....

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Just... BUY IT. With the new TA GOTY tag, you should already know how much this game is worth.

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If you bought the game you would have avoided the getting bummed part. But if you thought it wasnt worth it, then you probably deserved being stung a bit. LOL

15. ryanini01

ryanini01 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Behind you
    Just buy it, best game I've ever played!

By the way, congratulations kepa! Proud to support this since day 1! :)

16. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I don't think it's overpriced and eventually I'll most likely purchase it. I'm currently stocked up on quality titles from holiday sales. I'm just saying it burns me a little bit that the developer says they have a problem lowering the price but they don't seem to have a problem raising it. If the price was always $6.99 I would have probably instantly purchased it.

It's just my 2 cents.

17. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    the dev make it like that to reward us the early adopter
    and they raise their price after adding something to the game
    it's not like the dev keep raising the price when his app is getting more attention
    it's already in the app description when it was first come out

which one would you prefer:

1. being day 1 buyer and a month after that the game went on sale for 0.99$

or
    2. being a day 1 buyer and get rewarded with discount and such?

regardless of how much did you get it you wont be dissapointed

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The $0.02 is a lie.

If you actually instantly purchased it, we wouldnt have this discussion. :D

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yep.

20. Hawkeye67

Hawkeye67 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Congratulations to Rocketcat. It always seemed to me that this was a connoisseur's game. I don't believe any of my friends have even heard of it or would be interested in this kind of game.

That being said, this has been a big hit amongst TA readers, as evidenced by the volume of replies on this thread.
    I like to think of TA's GOTY as the nerd's choice and Apple GOTY as the mainstream winner.