Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-09-2014, 01:58 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

It's a little hard to believe the 20 day time, but other than that I think the other leaderboard times seem legitimate. The fact that there are 74 people with over a billion pounds and very similar totals and then a handful in the millions before it drops to around 80 thousand makes me think there is or was some kind of bug or exploit for the money.

I have a 37 day run, and I did definitely get lucky on the money, maybe on departure times too, not sure if those are randomized at all. But it's not the cleanest looking route ever, so I can easily believe people were faster.

[url]http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/journeys/?id=WltsP9sO80&playerName=mordionagenos[/url]

Last edited by Mordion; 10-09-2014 at 02:06 AM..
Old 10-09-2014, 06:08 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Hi there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus71 View Post
1) to the people at Inkle: are the scores on the leaderboards real or cheated? the fastest time on the leaderboard is 20 days, and people report finishing balances in the millions of pounds, both of which seem totally impossible to me
We're afraid to say there almost certainly is some hackery going on in Game Center. The fastest "genuine" time we're aware of is 30 days (this is almost half the inkle pre-release record); and the highest closing balance is something like 45k.

cheers!
Old 10-09-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordion View Post
It's a little hard to believe the 20 day time, but other than that I think the other leaderboard times seem legitimate. The fact that there are 74 people with over a billion pounds and very similar totals and then a handful in the millions before it drops to around 80 thousand makes me think there is or was some kind of bug or exploit for the money.

I have a 37 day run, and I did definitely get lucky on the money, maybe on departure times too, not sure if those are randomized at all. But it's not the cleanest looking route ever, so I can easily believe people were faster.

http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/j...=mordionagenos
Thanks! Fascinating.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkle View Post
Hi there!

We're afraid to say there almost certainly is some hackery going on in Game Center. The fastest "genuine" time we're aware of is 30 days (this is almost half the inkle pre-release record); and the highest closing balance is something like 45k.

cheers!
It's good to know that those scores in the hundreds of thousands of pounds or millions of pounds aren't real, because if they were then it would mean that there is a fundamental game dynamic that the rest of us are missing, like being able to keep going around the world more than once or something.

FTR, I myself got a closing balance of $53,949 once back in August, according to GameCentre - unless that score is somehow affected by other people's hacks; I didn't keep a record of that trip.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:58 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Cool, liked the boardgame when I was young, definetlely going to try this!
Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 PM

Default Speedrun

I made it in 37 days. I think a day or two could even be shaved off by making some tight connections more quickly.

For those of you also trying to get a superlative win, my route was, basically, •••Spoiler:  train to Istanbul then Kabul, the spy airship to Omsk, then the Trans-Siberian Express, but get off at Karimskaya and head south to Manila, then Acapulco, New Orleans, Washington, then across the Atlantic.

I'm not sure the relative benefits of crossing the Atlantic from Washington versus New York.

Here's a link to my journey: http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/j...yerName=powell

I still haven't found a way to Buenos Aires yet, though.

On a completely unrelated note (and a totally different run), I managed to •••Spoiler:  steal a glass cube from an automaton on the train in Budapest. Someone mentioned that the •••Spoiler:  artificer in Timbuktu would be able to do something with it. Has anyone made this work?
Old 10-21-2014, 02:43 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

daedelus, i've tried your route and it was pretty good. However, i failed to unlock the route to Acapulco. Where did you unlock it?

This will be my 9th try getting under 40 days, getting pretty tired of this game at the moment...