LITE vs PAID version ratings

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Carlos, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    I'm currently experiencing some strange bahaviour. The LITE version of my game gets bad ratings (2.5 stars vs 3.5 stars for the PAID version).
    It seems that when people get something for free, they just think it's crap.

I'm wondering whether providing a lite version is a good idea at all... I would really appreciate some comments on this one, especially if you already have some experince regarding this one.

Thank you in advance!

P.s.
    One friend of mine made his paid version free for a few days, and his average rating also got worse.

2. ErkB729

ErkB729 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    if somebody tries the lite version and HATES it, they're gonna rate it bad. If somebody tries and the lite version and LOVES it, they're gonna rate it good AND they may buy the paid version and rate it just as good. The paid version generally have the ratings of the people who liked the lite, and the lite version generally have mixed reviews.

3. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Well, if people like a game, they delete the lite and buy the full. When you delete something, it allows you to rate the app. Some people may rate it low for no reason

4. ErkB729

Oct 21, 2009

wow, that's just confusing. let me rephrase that:
    The Lite versions generally have mixed reviews from lovers and haters.
    The Full versions generally have positive reviews from happy Lite users. (because if you bought the full, you probably liked the lite)

5. ErkB729

Oct 21, 2009
    Oh, and i DO think that it is a good idea to provide a lite version. just dont give them too much ;-) give them a preview. make them want more

6. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    yep. People (and kids above all) tend to download everything for free, and then rate it bad if it doesn't suit their needs, or if the did not take the time to fully understand it - or even if they wanted more content for free.
    On the other hand, paying costumers might hate the idea of having wasted money, so someone who doesn't like the app could rate it not-so-bad to convince himself that the money weren't completely wasted after all.

7. Dark_Messenger

Dark_Messenger Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    #7 Dark_Messenger, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    I think it can be something in that statement that is right. There is no logic reason why really but at least i like to think that "you get what you pay for". In other words, if something is free i automaticly gets suspicious of why. Its just natural for me.

This does not mean that i autorate free stuff bad, but with the above said i think that i in some way think of free or cheap apps as less worth.

The short version: A game is much more appealing for me if it cost 10 bucks instead of 0.99.

EDIT: Suggestion: Cant you just do lite-versions that are exactly like the originalgame but offers just like one or two levels? (if that sort of game) Then people cant whine that is it a stripped game, its just really short and should leave them hungering for more. (if they like it)

8. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    I think that people might give the lite a bad rating because it was WAY too short, and I totally agree with those above me except the one who said NO lite version.

9. xdanleex

xdanleex Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Procrastinating
    LA,CA
    lite is usually low rated when they did not meet the satisfied requirement. lite is considered part of a game. but people usually dont understand that at all. but some do meet the requirement such as cartoon war lite or stick war lite

10. iTouchaddict

iTouchaddict Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    people get lite version for free then they expect to get everything that is in the full version which results in the low ratings for lite games

11. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    I'm wondering whether it is a good idea to provide online highscores to the lite version as well? Any experience?

My approach regarding the lite version: I provided three, fully playable levels. There are no limitations, just a tiny "Get the paid version" button, which appears on the last screen when the player finished the game. He can skip it, go back to the main menu, and play the game again and again.

Of course, the full version has more, and different levels (10 in the current version), and the 1.2 update will have 24, with online highscores, geotagged leaderboards, Twitter, Facebook integration, the ability to invite friends to compete, etc.