Trenches II

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DigitalB33R, Oct 19, 2011.

1. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    #1 DigitalB33R, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

EA Mobile has picked up publishing rights for this sequel to the Pocket Gamer Bronze Award-winning casual strategy game, so we’re expecting it to make a bigger splash than its 2010 predecessor by default.

If you're not au fait with the original Trenches, Trenches 2 revolves around getting your bunch of plucky soldiers to the right-hand side of the map in order to overwhelm an enemy bunker.

Naturally, the enemy soldiers are trying to do the same, so play proceeds in real-time with each side trying to dart to cover (a shed, broken carts, etc) so that they can return fire in relative safety.

Battle plans

It starts off fairly simple, with the enemy vastly under-resourced and slow off the mark, allowing for you to either take them head-on with numbers or sneak round the edge of the map.

But it only took a few missions during our hands-on before we were having to punch forward and retreat to let our medics attend the wounded, timing our runs for maximum effect.

All this is performed with a simple touch-and-drag control system, while new units can be drafted in by tapping the respective icons at the bottom.

Back for more war

Trenches 2 will almost certainly have a higher profile launch than its predecessor, and it deserves to, having fixed so many issues with the formula.

All of our main complaints with the original seem to have been addressed, from being able to select the French, Germans, or British (each with their own strengths and campaigns) right through to a new local and online multiplayer mode over Origin or Game Center.

New units like the spy (who can turn invisible) add a fresh twist and prevent games from nose-diving into battles of attrition, while huge upgrade trees for your skills and units means there’s plenty of depth waiting for those who invest the time (or, inevitably, real world money) into the game.

Trenches 2 is out on iPhone and iPad later this year.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/Trenches+2/news.asp?c=34523

2. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
  3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Hell yes. Hoping to see more units and an upgraded multiplayer.

4. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    Previous blog post...

Loyal Trenches Fans-
    We've been working hard under the dark of night and a cloak of secrecy, but the silence will soon be broken.

EA will demonstrate our latest efforts at their Europe Showcase today through the 20th. EA will officially announce ... quite possibly the most ambitious wargame on the AppStore: Trenches II.

More than a year ago, Thunder Game Works signed a publishing agreement with EA that birthed the idea of Trenches II. Since then, we've been busting our humps on it. Taking Trenches II to places that Trenches could only just imagine. Rejoice, players ... Trenches II is all that you've been asking for; more nations [CHECK], more units [CHECK] and more than I can list [CHECK].

If you're going to EA's Europe Showcase, check out Trenches II on the big screen!

Ready or not ... Trenches II is coming.

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Added to my want list [CHECK]

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

When i saw the topic i thought..

...Instant Buy...

...and that`s all i am saying about Trenches II.​

7. spockgold007

spockgold007 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    death star
  8. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Woot!!!!

9. Kitsch

Kitsch New Member

Oct 10, 2011
    I wish I could be excited for this as I was before I purchased Trenches, but I can’t be. For a game with great artwork and a theoretically great concept, the gameplay fell short to dull. It really just isn’t that fun.

That is not to say I won’t keep a close eye on the sequel, but it really needs to be more vibrant in the gameplay department for me to consider buying it.

Don’t mean to be rude, just lending my opinion.

10. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    NO WAY! YES, Can not wait! :D

11. hapaninja

hapaninja Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Art Director for Soma Games and Code-Monkeys
    Portland, OR
    Sweet! Thunder Game Works = awesome.

12. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    Yay can't wait, I just want Irish soldier as playable characters :)

13. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    I really want this game now...when is EA going to announce it? tomorrow?

14. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Either later today or tomorrow.

15. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    WWII anyone?

That would be the only logical theme...

Im hoping for US, Russia, French, Japan, German, British factions.

And like flamethrower unit? medic unit? what else?

16. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
  17. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    EA Mobile has picked up publishing rights for this sequel to the Pocket Gamer Bronze Award-winning casual strategy game, so we’re expecting it to make a bigger splash than its 2010 predecessor by default.

If you're not au fait with the original Trenches, Trenches 2 revolves around getting your bunch of plucky soldiers to the right-hand side of the map in order to overwhelm an enemy bunker.

Naturally, the enemy soldiers are trying to do the same, so play proceeds in real-time with each side trying to dart to cover (a shed, broken carts, etc) so that they can return fire in relative safety.

Battle plans

It starts off fairly simple, with the enemy vastly under-resourced and slow off the mark, allowing for you to either take them head-on with numbers or sneak round the edge of the map.

But it only took a few missions during our hands-on before we were having to punch forward and retreat to let our medics attend the wounded, timing our runs for maximum effect.

All this is performed with a simple touch-and-drag control system, while new units can be drafted in by tapping the respective icons at the bottom.

Back for more war

Trenches 2 will almost certainly have a higher profile launch than its predecessor, and it deserves to, having fixed so many issues with the formula.

All of our main complaints with the original seem to have been addressed, from being able to select the French, Germans, or British (each with their own strengths and campaigns) right through to a new local and online multiplayer mode over Origin or Game Center.

New units like the spy (who can turn invisible) add a fresh twist and prevent games from nose-diving into battles of attrition, while huge upgrade trees for your skills and units means there’s plenty of depth waiting for those who invest the time (or, inevitably, real world money) into the game.

Trenches 2 is out on iPhone and iPad later this year.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/Trenches+2/news.asp?c=34523

18. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    Trenches II proceeding ahead of schedule

Posted by Michael on Thursday, October 27, 2011

We're deep in the throes of QA testing. Trenches II is in the furnace getting all hardened and whatnot. It's a truly amazing piece of work. We've really out done ourselves here.

Soon, we'll release a game trailer and start exposing the specific game features.

Ready yourself ... Trenches II is coming!

http://www.thundergameworks.com/blog.tgw#post27

19. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    I hope this works on itouch 2nd gen!