Preferred Game Engine?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JBRUU, Jan 30, 2013.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Mine is Unity, just because so many fantastic and varied games have been made with it, great performance, fantastic visuals.

UE3 games tend to have a sort of similar color scheme, I don't know how to describe it. They also tend to have more performance issues.

What game engines are you a fan of and which ones do you dislike?

2. Soarel

Soarel Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    UE3.

Most Unity games unfortunately come out looking like crap. Shame that such a good engine went to waste.

3. Jbruu can you make a quick list of the engines and a couple of games and maybe a poll?

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think UE3 games having similar colour schemes is down to how well it does detailed, realistic-looking textures, prompting developers to go as realistic as possible and all opt for similar palettes. The likes of Enslaved and DmC on consoles show off more vibrant variations.

I can't say I hate Unity, but something about it always strikes me as cheap. Unless I'm forgetting something I'd say my favourite is probably Cocos2D/Box2D. I'm still a believer of most 3D engines being properly at home on PCs and consoles, despite the great 3D mobile games I've played.

5. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    They CAN look good; it depends on how talented the folks are making the game. Not just on iOS, but also browser based games that use the Unity plug-in.

Unity games do have the nasty habit of bleeding my batteries dry though.

6. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    While look is generally dictated by the developers themselves, I do find top tier Unity games to look crisper and having better contrast. But this again is developer driven.

7. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    UE3, waiting for UE4.

8. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

This. I agree 110%. :D

9. Whiteplayer3d

Whiteplayer3d Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    #9 Whiteplayer3d, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    3D engines - Unity3D and IronMonkey engine (Dead Space)

2D engine - Corona SDK

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I prefer Unreal just because there are more gamees i love that's made with it than unity... But of course both are good engines and at the top of their league right now.

Some Unreal games i can remember...

Brandnew Boy
    EPOCH.
    Infinity Blade 1, 2 & Dungeons
    Dark Meadow
    Horn
    ARC Squadron
    Lili
    Last Knight
    Demons Score
    Karateka
    Wild Blood
    Amazing Runner
    Darkness Rush

Some great Unity games i can recall:

Infinite Warrior
    Ravensword 2
    Dead Trigger 1 & 2
    Shadowgun & S: Deadzone
    Bladeslinger
    Temple Run 2
    ORC: Vengeance
    Momonga Pinball

11. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Unreal, I guess. I don't really seem to find that there's as much consistency with Unity in terms of what to expect from a Unity game graphically whereas most Unreal games look quite good.

12. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I think we all know that Unity and Unreal look great, so I'll add Impact.

13. #13 Connector, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    I think in terms of 3d graphics and framerates, the following games look the best.

Dead Trigger - Unity
    Nova 3
    Asphalt 7
    NFS Most Wanted
    Wild Blood - Unreal Engine 3

I will keep it at five, so I can declare a winner. Be back later whenever I figure what is what.

14. clever_bug

clever_bug Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2012
    #14 clever_bug, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    I think Unreal Engine 3 is the best mobile game engine. Some of the best Unreal Engine 3-powered games are: Wild Blood, Lili, Horn, Infinity Blade series, Real Boxing... (released); Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Morning Star, Bounty Arms, Eden to Greeeen, WeMade's 5 games, BWF's 3 games... (upcoming). The only problem is that you must own a powerful device to have the best experience.

Unity Engine is worse than Unreal Engine 3. However, it also generates some good games such as: Ravensword: Shadowlands, Dead Trigger series, Shadowgun series, Bladeslinger.

With Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour, Havok Physics proves that it is also a good mobile game engine. And from what I know, Havok Vision and Frostbite Engine 2 are also coming to iOS. They are the real competitors of Unreal Engine 3.

However, I think the future mobile game engine is CryENGINE 3. Crytek has released a game called Fibble using this engine, which looks awesome. I think that the future versions of CryENGINE SDKs will support iOS. Therefore, we will see many great CryENGINE 3-powered iOS games in the near future! :)

For Unreal Engine 4, I don't think it is coming to current iDevices. It might not be the case for future iDevices, but we might have to wait for a very long time! :)

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Havok isn't a game engine; it's a physics engine.

16. Rafark

Rafark Active Member

Apr 16, 2011
    I think the most balanced engine is the unity. In Dead Trigger, for example, you can get graphics a bit better than infinity blade with the performance of Angry Birds.

17. xetz

xetz New Member

Feb 1, 2013
    I quite like how smooth the unity engine is. A prime example of it looking great is in RAD soldiers.