Defragmentation?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Chrono Gear, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    I was wondering if there is any app that can defrag my iPod? I toss a ton of apps on and off (mostly on) constantly and my iPod runs very laggy-It has been choppy ever since I updated to 3.1.1 I had assumed it was the update, but I've noticed it seems to get worse which leads me to believe it might be something else. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes I have jailbroken my iPod if that makes any difference (possibly a defrag app avail through Cydia?).

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Jailborken iPod's are normally laggy, if you have lots of background apps running it will slow down your iPod.

3. Chrono Gear

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    I've read that before but considering it was laggy before I re-jailbroke it I'm not sure that's the problem. I'm pretty sure it's something else.

4. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Well, see, if you have SBSettings that runs in the background which slows down your iPod. I think it is the same with Winterboard. More background apps running = slower iPod. If you un-jailbreak your iPod, there is no background apps running (except push notifications).

5. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    iPod uses flash memory, defragmenting won't do any good. Defragging will just waste write cycles too

If it's slow then it's probably apps running in the background.

6. Chrono Gear

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    How do I check what apps are running in the background so I can stop them?

7. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    sbsettings is always running there's no way to stop that
    you can turn off SSH
    and go to 'processes' in sbsettings to quit things like mail or safari

8. Chrono Gear

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    Okay I have been fiddling around--I was not runnning SBSettings, should I install it and then try to disable extra apps running? or will this just make things worse?

9. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    My iPhone 3G has been laggy ever since 3.1.1 and that's without jailbreak. When I downgraded to 3.0 it was good again. But then I jailbroke, ran SBsetting, winterboard, etc....slooooooow...so i restored.