'Sentences With Friends', well that's just Gadzookery

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SLIC, Oct 18, 2012.

1. SLIC

SLIC Member

Jul 29, 2012
    #1 SLIC, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    Gadzookery, powered by dictionary.com is literally an acronym based 'Sentences With Friends' word game. Players earn points for their short sentence, and win/lose challenges against each other.

Players are dealt a target word, and then within a three minute timer create a sentence that has something to do with the target word and is also an acronym of it too. Stuck for words? There's a handy thesaurus right there on the keyboard. When the timer is up the sentence is automatically submitted. Here is where you'll see the other players attempts at creating a sentence off of the same target word and how many points they might be worth. If a player spots a spelling mistake, or a fake word, they can challenge it. If they're correct in their challenge they take all the points for that sentence. If they're wrong they lose the points for their own sentence to the player challenged. Multiple challenges on the same sentence results in the points being divided and shared.

Players earn one point for every letter used, and ten bonus points for creating a sentence inside the timer. Incomplete sentences lose 50% of their point value.

Examples:
    Target word is 'YOGURT' - Yummy Organisms, Gloppy Underrated Refrigerated Treat = 57 points
    Target word is 'NYMPH' - Naughty Young Men Prefer Her = 34 points

Sound like fun? The game is currently being tested and is scheduled for release within the next few weeks, November latest.

Would love some feedback. Would you download and play it? Have any other questions about it? Let me hear them.

You can also share in its success too by helping with a last round of for profit funding at the following link http://www.appbackr.com/app/Gadzookery

[​IMG][/URL]

2. SLIC

SLIC Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I guess we don't get many word game players in here?

I was hoping to get some feedback from some of you.

3. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    This game is to make a sentence out of a few letters? Like RGSF= Rabbit grinned softly forever?

That kind of seems cool, would love to play with with my gf. Make me get smart, in some way shape or form.

4. SLIC

SLIC Member

Jul 29, 2012
    The players are dealt a word, for example GAMES.

Within 3 minutes they need to create a sentence that is an acronym of games, and also has something to do with the word games. The longer real words they use, which are spelled correctly the more points they'll earn.

Examples

Giant Athletic Muscleman Earns Silver (is a hint to the Olympic games)
    Gadzookery App Making Entertaining Sentences (obviously to this game)
    Great And Massive Entertainment Source (we all love games right?)

It pretty much is how 'Sentences With Friends' would play if such a game existed. This game launches real soon :)

5. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Oh so you have to have words similar to the topic word. Arg, might be a challenge lol. Liked it my way better lol.

A video of how it might play? Just curious.

6. SLIC

SLIC Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I'll be working on a video before it's launch. That's one of the reasons it's on appbackr now. As we all know they aren't cheap if you want them done right. The guy whose doing it for me is finishing up some other projects of his before he can fit mine in. He's really very good at creating videos.

Just curious. Do you play Words With Friends?

7. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    This sounds really cool! Right up my ally...

8. SLIC

SLIC Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Thanks, I appreciate that. It's words like those that remind me I'm doing the right thing.

I've put every I owned into this. I've depleted my savings, sold things off including my much loved vintage guitars (for significantly less than they were worth). I've given up on a social life for the past 9 months just so that every last cent went into it. Along the way some costs rose, and I got screwed a little too, which is why I had to take the appbackr route to get it finished. If you haven't seen the appbackrs are liking it too, I just need a little more. I'd feel more confident if I could get to 15k, at 25k I start building on Android too.

9. SLIC

SLIC Member

Jul 29, 2012
  10. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    This sounds pretty fun. I'm curious as to how the app will know if the sentence relates to the target word. Do you assume that players will follow that guideline, is there some code that determines it, or is it decided by some form of user input? I'm in the very early stages of learning programming so I could certainly be wrong, but I'd imagine that code for this purpose would be extremely complex. Certainly out of my league :D