Mobile version of site/forums?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by SleepyAndroid, Feb 13, 2010.

1. SleepyAndroid

SleepyAndroid Active Member

Feb 1, 2010
    This may have been addressed before but why is there no snappy mobile version of the site... particularly the forums? :) Obviously it works great on Safari but forum usage could really speed up! Is there not a mobile version of the forum software used? I know many sites offer a mobile version of forums.

I love this site. Since I picked up my iPod Touch I spend lots of time browsing around and all that jazz. Keep up the good work. :)

2. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
  3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think there is a mobile version of the main site, it's just kinda rough which is why no one seems to know the URL... the mods could probably dig it up.

4. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Simply because it's great as is.

You know: the iPhone has a full web browser, no crappy mobile websites.

5. OsideRida06

OsideRida06 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I have owned quite a few larger forums, although I have now sold them off.

On one of them though I did install a mod from vb.org that would create a mobile version. It actually worked great and was very quick. We needed this because we had a shoutbox on the forum. With the shoutbox it was really slow through mobile devices. I have to say I did love that mod if the mods here are really looking into something like this then all they have to do is search the vb site.

Although with my IPhone I personally like using the whole site as is.

6. SleepyAndroid

Feb 1, 2010
    Pfft. :p I said "obviously it works great on Safari." I fully acknowledge it works fabulously on the iPhone/iPod.

I just prefer things to be as efficient and speedy as possible. Obviously a mobile version will suit some people and some situations better than others. And I won't have to use my fingers zooming in and out and all around as much!

7. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

I understand.

To make it great for us both: make a mobile version available with a button to switch to normal.

8. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    A while back, people were suggesting to view TouchArcade's RSS Feed as a mobile-esque version of the website; are you referring to that?

9. gatorsxrule

gatorsxrule Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    School
    Florida
    It was http://toucharcade.com/m/ as you can see by the title
    it was taken down though I think

10. SleepyAndroid

Feb 1, 2010
    I actually do follow TA in my mobile google reader. I actually don't need a mobile site... just the forums! :)

11. Jaytee

Jaytee Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    If you really buy into Apple's marketing crap, maybe.
    It's absolutely ludicrous to suggest that just because the iPhone can access full websites, it is not possible to customize and streamline the content specifically for the iPhone.

People have been asking for mobile forums for years now. The one concession Arn has made? Changing ">" to "> Next" to make it a little easier on fat fingered people. Bullshit.

12. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    I think it would be nice with a mobile version af TA.

It's a bit strange that a site that exclusively addresses iPhone and iPod Touch users don't have a mobile version :confused:

13. LS650

LS650 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Canada
    I agree that mobile-friendly versions are useful: I do more casual web surfing with my iDevice than with a laptop/desktop.

14. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    #14 iStephen, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    +1

[before reading the above post, i posted the exact same thing]

15. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    #15 yourofl10, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    [removed]

16. Remmykins

Remmykins Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    A few sites I use have an iPhone skin for the forums but none of them allow posting in this skin.

17. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I was just about tp start a new thread when I saw this.
    Another thought that came to me is the fact that this site uses many attaced images in the forum along with itune links I think that would make the rendering pretty difficult to do

18. gatorsxrule

gatorsxrule Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    School
    Florida
    That's what I get to, which is why I said it was taken down
    I just think they lost intrest in keeping the running, when it was running it was just the front page articles with no link to anything else, not even the forums. You could probably ask arn/hodapp about it and they Might be able to tell you more

19. nbaskillz

nbaskillz Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Entertainment Provider
    Boston Area
    SlidetoPlay has an app now

They just released it yesterday, and it looks really good - TouchArcade needs to get on the ball and release one too!:cool:

20. Austin:]

Austin:] Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Yeah, they should have a mobile version of editing your profile too:)