Universal Bean's Quest (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Jul 17, 2011.

1. tocameelarcade

tocameelarcade Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I gifted this game to my gf, and she loved it :D! thankssss guys xD!

2. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    how are u supposed to get all the diamonds on dusty storm level 5? The last 12 diamonds are a real pain.

3. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Yeah, that's a real tough diamond level. For the beach ball diamonds, just be careful to jump on the middle of the ball so it doesn't move. You'll get lucky at some point. For the diamonds above the checkpoint: be very aware of your surroundings ;)

4. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    #244 spidey, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
    Spoiler alert:

Hey Matt, thanks for the tip. I finally got it. I was actually trying to use the beach ball for the diamonds above the checkpoint. Silly me to not notice the secret passage. Got it finally.

Now am stuck at the magnet's level (level 4) in wizard's lair world. I can see the last 10 diamonds, and the axotlotl (i got the spelling wrong i think). But i just can't figure out how to reach there.

5. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #245 Matt33, Mar 24, 2012
    'Fraid I can't help much on that one. There's not really any tricks, just painstaking trial and error.
    The diamonds are easier, you just need the right placement on the yellow guy. The axolotl was much harder. You have to bounce from the yellow guy onto the bat when the bat is at an ideal spot in its rotation to reach it. I may not have even made it onto the axolotl's platform, just grazed the bottom of it.
    I'm sure you figured that's what needed to be done, but the thought of it just didn't seem doable. Nope, no secret passages that would make it easier, just tough platforming.

6. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    #246 spidey, Mar 24, 2012
    I did manage to get the diamonds.
    THat was easy, just that when i posted earlier i had killed the yellow springy dude without really noticing him at all. Axolotl, i did think that i had to hit the bat at it's highest tracjectory, and the logical way would be to jump off the dude. But these baddies are just not aligning properly.
    Tough platforming indeed.

7. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    i 3-starred the dusty desert, if anyone needs some assistance I'll be happy to give some :)

8. Mr Kumobius

Mr Kumobius Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Wow, amazing solution Matt. I am impressed once again. But I should warn everyone! That is not the intended solution, there is an unmarked secret passage in the stage that gives you a much simpler path to reaching the axolotl :O

Nonetheless, bravo for synchronising the bat with the yellow hopper! That is quite an accomplishment. If people are struggling to find the secret passage I can further explain here. Additionally, we'll consider changing it from being an unmarked to a marked passage in a future update :D

9. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    I have 3 stars in no level...lol that's bad!

10. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Hahaha, whoops! Well, I'd definitely recommend looking for the hidden path as opposed to the grueling and chaotic yellow hopper wrangling that was my solution :eek:

11. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    I managed to get on to the platform with axolotl,
    by synchronizing yellow dude and bat. From there i landed into a passage that got me on to the checkpost on the left. That made me try and find a secret way to the axolotl, which I couldn't.
    . Moved past it though. Almost done with Wizard's lair.

12. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Honestly, how is one supposed to reveal an unmarked secret passage by anything short of hopping on every block and hitting every section of every wall!!

If the secret passsage unmarked, I'd recommend players lining up the baddies and hopping on the axolotl. It's not thaaat difficult really. There are more difficult sections in the game.

13. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Whoa, what's with the leaderboards? People have less jumps than gold par. Is there room in some level designs to get lower than "perfect"?

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Update hit.

And yeah, I've gotten lower than par on quite a few levels... And I know there's others who are way better than me.

Anywho... Any chance of iCloud support in a future update? Love that the games universal, but it can be a pain having to do everything twice...

15. TinkyWinky

TinkyWinky Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    BBC Studio
    Nice update.

16. Mr Kumobius

Patreon Indie

Hey guys,

Yeah the update basically just fixes a few graphical errors and a little gameplay tweaks. We added a higher quality intro video and fixed the font rendering on the new iPad.

We're going to think about iCloud support. Mainly because we're working pretty heavily on our next game right now, we haven't had a chance to really look into iCloud. But since we want iCloud support in our next game we'll probably address it in Bean's Quest at some point. I'll keep you posted!

Regarding that secret passage. Yeah, that was a mistake, it should've been marked in some way! I'll give you guys a hint though so you don't need to investigate every nook and cranny of the level. You reach the secret passage using the running turtle at the start of the stage! That's all I'll say for now! :D

On a total side note... we're going to PAX East next week and we're exhibiting in the indie games showcase at PAX! If anyone going to PAX East wants to drop by and say hello, just come by a booth called the "Boston Indie Showcase" :)

17. beekai

beekai New Member

Mar 27, 2012
    #257 beekai, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    i achieved 100% completion a few weeks ago and have been completing the boss level over and over again to continue my addiction haha - thanks for the great game!

i did notice a bit more consistency in the boss battle after the update. the things that he shoots out seemed to be more accurate.

oh, and i did complete the aforementioned level in the same way as Matt. i think the problem is that that solution seems like the obvious choice when you reach the area and as a result no one has any reason to think that they should be searching for a passage. that was my thought at least, and i ended up spending a looooong time getting it just right!

18. LegoMonster

LegoMonster Active Member

Aug 18, 2010
    i just achieved 100% completion as well and came here assuming it would be overloaded with strategies and stories for all of the challenges. i'm really surprised this game doesn't have more of a following. this game easily provided more entertainment and replayability than any other ios game i have played.

i went through the entirety of the game twice before really focusing on collecting all of the axolotls and gems. what a huge sense of accomplishment. and then i managed to not only beat every level with the challenge of matching the par amount of jumps but beating a few after i did that. i really wish i could see how many hours i have sunk into this game.

if any of the developers read this i just want to say thanks. every tiny detail of the game equals up to a really amazing experience and your hard work is really apparent. i look forward to hearing about your next project.

19. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I bought this game awhile ago, but only got round to playing it recently. I finished the game, and came here to thank the devs for one of the best games on iOS. I will buy whatever you make next, and here's hoping for a Bean's Quest 2. :D

20. Mr Kumobius

Patreon Indie

Thank you to both of you. It's really nice to hear this kind of feedback :)

Heads up to everyone, we just released a minor update to Bean's Quest. It adds support for iCloud syncing of your level and achievement progress. Just be aware that syncing doesn't occur instantly with iCloud, so don't run the update and immediately delete the app expecting everything to sync immediately. Play a few levels and make sure you're connected the internet. The syncing should kick in after a while. And make sure you have an iCloud account set up as well!

I'd hate for players to remove the app thinking their data was synced when it wasn't. Anyone who has gotten the achievements in Bean's Quest probably realises they're pretty tough :)

You should hear more about our new game soon... :O Follow us on twitter to stay fully aware http://www.twitter.com/kumobius/

Regarding Bean's Quest - ahem, all I will say is that Emilio's story is not finished.