Universal Max Payne Mobile (by Rockstar Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Apr 11, 2012.

1. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I contacted War Drum Studios through email. Let's see if they answer me.

Here's what I wrote:

First of all, congratulations on the recently released Max Payne Mobile.

It's a well done port for the most part, however, the controls have one flaw that I believe it's easy to fix. As of right now, you can't aim and shoot at the same time, so you have to resort to auto aiming. The solution to this problem is to allow the aim to move after pressing and holding the shooting button. What I mean is, when I press and hold the shooting button, I should be able to keep sliding my finger on the screen (moving the reticule), so Max would continue the shooting while aiming at the same time.

Sorry if it sounds pretentious of my part, but it's just something others iOS shooters do, and it's a level of control a classic like Max Payne should have.

Best of luck to you, cheers.

2. Fil2

Fil2 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2011
    Le test de Gamekult dit que la jouabilité est mauvaise (mais c'est vrai que Gamekult et les jeux iOS...) ?

3. Fil2

Fil2 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2011
    So is the control good or not?

4. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
  5. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#205 killercow, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    Ouais enfin Gamekult tout court... Desolé mais suis pas trop fan de leurs tests XD Pour moi il n'y a vraiment pas de probleme majeur avec les controles mais c'est vrai qu'en le raprochant de modern combat 3 avec une visée glisée ca serait parfait! (a noter que je joue sans auto aim et sans probleme donc bon...)

I don't find the control frustrating but it's true that if we had mc3's aiming controls it would be a perfect fit! Let's hope they'll hear your feedback Heringer!

6. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Yea I'm passing on this tell the controls are fixed.

7. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    I liked the spent cartridges and watching your buckshot fly through the air. I thought the game was amazing on PC with those effects, it just feels like another generic shooter.

The story's ok however

8. megasiech

megasiech Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    #208 megasiech, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    The Controls are better then the Original on PS2 and Gamelofts 9MM . its a bit tricky the aim&shoot but you can handle this very well after a while.but there is a freeze bug when you dont move thats not so good

well the first Max Payne are one of the best Game ever and .make with love & the Story is great .. .i play 2h now and i am very happy with this and play it again after soo long Time . . Best game so far 2012... thx Rockstar !

i hope other developner bring more some classic Games from THIS Millenium for mobile devices..

9. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Well said. :)

10. Samberoony

Samberoony Member

Apr 11, 2012
    The controls really aren't a big issue. Go for the game now, if you don't you're missing out.

11. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    I would say wait. The controls don't break the game, but if they do fix them it will make the game much more enjoyable. In that case, people who finished with the present controls will be missing out on a better experience.

I bought the game but will wait for a possible update. Unless you're dying to play Max Payne, no reason not to wait. It's not even a launch sale.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I would say adjust the control layout to make as much real estate available to camera panning, and being able to shoot and aim (something that wasn't really that easy with a mouse) is not such a big deal. Keep in mind that it's easy to straife by moving your character from side to side, and of course in bullet-time it's all about placing your shots, which works really well in the current set up.

Max Payne is all about keeping your character in motion, not about standing still and aiming while pressing the trigger.

BTW, the idea that lack of shell casings makes this a "generic shooter" is laughable. They've kept most other details (including "Lords and Ladies" playing on the TV). More important, though, the game is filled with characters that you'll grow to love to shoot in the face. Compared to most action games (iOS or otherwise), Max Payne iOS has a ton of personality.

13. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I wholeheartedly agree.

If not seeing shells flying from your guns is ruining a game for you, there's something wrong in your expectations of this and any other FPS shooter.

And with the widely adjustable auto-aim options in this game, fighting works as well as one could possibly expect in a FPS on a touchscreen.

To anyone on the fence, I say buy it. It's easily worth the more than reasonable price.

14. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    all you guys with control issues need to study this app and all its options like you would your girlfriends body.....if you guys just used the tap to shoot you would enjoy this game so much better....

15. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Change the controles to touch to shoot. You can easily aim while in motion then when you are lined up release your finger for a fraction of a second then press down again. :) Works well with the dual Berreta's, just tap away to unleash a hail of lead.

This control scheme also means you can turn off the auto aim (or switch it to light assist) to enjoy the game that much more.

16. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    Fixed it for you since the other half of the population is a part of this forum too :)

Reading the positives about the controls makes me feel better. It was fun back in the day, and I can't wait to experience it on my new iPad! :D

17. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because aiming and shooting at the same time is a pretty big effing deal to me. If you think it's hard to aim and shoot at the same time with a mouse, I wonder how you manage to play modern shooters at all, since targets aren't static, but keep moving all the time given the advanced AI.

And the fact that Max Payne is about keeping your character in motion (which is true) have nothing to do with not being able to aim and shoot simultaneously.

18. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Well said!!
    So, correct me if I am wrong but isn't there a Max Payne movie with Mark walberg? If so, should I expect a supernatural filled plot with vampires and all that?

19. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    #219 heringer, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    I did. It doesn't address my problem with the controls. You still CAN'T aim and shoot at the same time, and tap to shoot is even somewhat worse, because I have to tap for each shot, I can't hold.

Look, I'm not saying the controls are broken. I'm not saying the game is not playable. All I'm saying is, the ability to do what I showed in the video would make the game much more enjoyable. To hold the fire button and keep shooting while I move the reticule towards the enemy is a great level of control that Max Payne should have. It's a shame you guys can't see that right now, but I'm sure if they ever release the update addressing this I bet a lot of people here would give reviews praising the new improved controls. Just like people who saw no problem with Mass Effect Infiltrator's original controls, but now are going gaga over the new update.

20. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Very, very choppy frame rate on iPad 3