what is a good 2d game engine for the sdk

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by nephilim apps, May 31, 2009.

1. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    so i just started using my mac and the sdk and was wondering what the best 2d game engine for the sdk is? and also how much it costs or if its free or whatever, i already make games in windows but want to know the best software for macs is

ty

2. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

How about straight out code.

Much easier in my opinion.

3. slipster216@gmail.com

[email protected] Active Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Game Developer
    Boston, mass
    Check out Cocos2d-iPhone. I've used it for several games, submitted some code back to the trunk, and overall it's well thought out and a clean design. It's also open source and free..

4. codepunk

codepunk Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    cocos2d hands down

5. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Agreed. I didn't really get any of the engines, easier for me to write my own code.

6. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    thanks ill try cocos2d and if that dosnt do it for me ill just do coding myself

also i was wondering if unity was worth it, i dont really plan on making 3d games but i was wondering if it was a nesessity if i ever did try 3d

7. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

We looked really closely at Unity and Torque and decided to use cocos as the basis for our engine. It's still more a structure than anything else, you'll need to do a lot of coding over top of it to get the results you want... but it's a great way to get going without having to re-invent the wheel. And their support boards are pretty good too.

8. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

Plus if you need to make some improvements/alterations to the wheel cocos is open source :)

Unity is expensive and a bit of overkill for a 2d game. Looks magic for 3d though if you can afford it!