Universal Pixel Boat Rush: Vote for Upcoming Content!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by XperimentalZ, Dec 2, 2014.

?

Which Content Option Would You Like Added to the Game?

1. Friends Matchmaking Multiplayer

27.1%
  2. New Racing Category

14.6%
  3. Endless Mode

37.5%
  4. Season Mode

20.8%
  5. Master Races

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    #1 XperimentalZ, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Hi there!

We're organising a double event related to Pixel Boat Rush! First of all, starting tonight, the game will be 50% off (0.99$) for a limited time.

Secondly, since we're about to start working on the first large content update and that the game is built around the TA community, it would be cool if you guys were allowed to vote for your preferred option!

Please vote for one of the five following options on the thread poll:

1- Friends matchmaking multiplayer (at least either online or local 'live' multiplayer, but probably both and perhaps also asynchronous multiplayer)

2- A new racing category (with its own set of boats, events and tracks)

3- A special set of 'Master' races (for each racing category, a special set of challenging races would be added. The maps used in those races would have new obstacles to avoid.)

4- An endless mode (try to survive and pass as many opponents as possible in a randomly generated environment with increasing difficulty. Earn Coins/tools which can be used in the career mode.)

5- A repeatable 'season' mode (accumulate points from race to race and try to win the season championship)

Please let me know if you have questions or would like to discuss about the details of the various options.

Also, here's the released game thread:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=244562

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Live Bluetooth or online multiplayer would be completely unbelievable.

3. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #3 XperimentalZ, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah but I should add that unless the game gets a very large user base, it would not make much sense adding a 'global' matchmaking system with a waiting room. That's why we'd focus on a 'friends' matchmaking system.

We thought that we'd only be able to work on a 'local' option (we can't afford servers) but after reviewing the tools offered by Apple, it seems that we can now develop 'live' multiplayer using their tools, which is cool.

My guess is that this option and the endless mode option are going to be the most popular but we'll see how it goes!

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Ya, a friends system was what I had in mind. I can't wait *fingers crossed*! :D

5. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Is this the usual system used? I mean, what are the usual muliplayer features offered in games? Beside large AAA projects I guess.

6. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Do you plan to add local multiplayer like Tiny Wings? Or asynchronous multiplayer to race against ghost from friends to beat their record (kinda like King of Hole mode on Flappy Golf).

7. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #7 XperimentalZ, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    I'm not sure what is the preferred option among players between 'live' internet multi, 'live' local multi or 'async' ghost multi (feedback would be nice on that) or any other option we might be missing, but what we had in mind was:

1- To have least one 'live' option, between local bluetooth and internet (but after reviewing the latest multiplayer tools from Apple we might be able to do both)

2- On top of that, we might be able to do async ghost multiplayer, depending on the load of work generated from the option 1.

Thanks for the references. I assume that tiny wings would be like 1 and flappy golf like 2, I'll have to check how they do it.

8. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Perhaps I should expand a bit more the 'Master' races idea.

The base of the idea would be to have a set of, let's say, about 5 special race per racing category. Those races would remain locked until you pass the license for the next racing category (or perhaps until the end of the game?).

We'd work from the current list of tracks, but add 'platforming' obstacles to them, placed in some location of the tracks. We could have stuff like mario-esq jumping fireballs or rotating lines meant to hurt you if you don't time yourself.

The opponents would have higher AI/stronger boats. Those races could yield special prizes as well.

Feedback is welcomed!

9. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Flappy Golf would be more like both. Multiplayer is online or Bluetooth and King of Hole mode you check your friends highscore and try to beat it. Tiny Wings multiplayer is two players on the same screen.

10. sleb

sleb Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ohio
    I do love the game. I would like to see the endless race and multiplayer as my top two choices.

11. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I just bought this since it has it all : quick game you can play for a break, loads of content and unlockables/upgrades, support for updates, and (lastly) a great price!

My two choices would be endless mode, and different races with different boats (i don't know where this falls) *not* more difficult, but different elements, like superwaves, air boosters, catamarans(maybe?) etc.

12. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Not sure either where having 'different elements' would fall but that's something which has been vaguely floating around for a long time. We'll have to keep thinking for a way to put some of that in. It's more like a cross-feature, not specifically related to a specific option.

13. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I'm glad you got the idea, and you were already thinking about it! in the meantime, i finished my first races and i'm already itching to play more!

14. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #14 chief78, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    I don't know if it's a limitation of the pole, but if it could be to where more than one radio button is selectable (ie multiple choice answer), I really want to support season mode as well. But I also believe an endless mode would really make this game one of the best experiences out there. This stands up to the likes of the former Halfbrick (R.I.P.) And you guys rock for turning to the community for support ##

15. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks! And writing about your second choice can still be insightful!

16. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Looks like a tendency in the poll is already showing-up :D

17. JetJaguar

JetJaguar Member

Apr 26, 2014
    It'd be fun to go right to left. #

18. myst575

myst575 New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Hey guys! This is Al from over at Twitter :) Almost forgot I had a TA account. Anyways, I like the options being offered, but for now Endless Mode with lots of random crazy waves, rocks, and anything else I may have not of come across yet. Whatever you decide I'm 100% down!

Thanks again for this awesome game which ended up exceeding my expectations for what it has to offer as a 2D racer.

19. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks! And yeah we'll try to squeeze-in a bunch of random things in the endless mode if it ends-up being chosen.

In the released game thread, Lazer Kat was suggesting having a make-your-own-boat mechanic where you'd collect colored pixels at the end of every race.

The squares would have an associated statistic and could be used as material to build your own boat.

While it's too late to add this proposal in the original poll list, it would be nice to have an idea of the potential interest for that!

20. truechicken

truechicken Active Member

Mar 20, 2014
    i love this game

but i felt it was kinda easy. also why couldnt I race ayrton senna? I was thinking last race would be a real challenge but it waa very easy with tomahawk.

hard mode, or maybe just harder tracks with faster enemies on eaxh cateogy would be very much appreciated.