iPad 2 charger coating split. HELP!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Oceraux, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Oceraux

Oceraux Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    My iPad 2's charger coating got split, on the end of the charger portion that you put in the iPad. Searching Google, people on forums recommended electric tape, I did so, but the coating is still moving that you can stretch the coating left/right that breaks the coating even more. I've replaced the electric tape numerous times already but it still the same result. THE WIRE INSIDE IS FINE, it's just worrying me that the moving of the coating will split it furthermore. Is that normal? Does electric tapes have that very adhesive stick? I don't want to damage the wire more. You may have noticed that I've written many sentences now, 'coz I'm VERY WORRIED. That's exaggerated but.. I'm that kind of person.

THanks

2. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Have you considered just dropping it by an Apple store to see what they think? Apple is having a charger trade-in program right now, where you could get a replacement for $10 max. Might not be a bad solution for getting an official charger/replacement at a discount, for an out-of-warranty device.

(On the other hand, I see you're in the Philippines. I know the charger trade-in program extends to many countries, but I didn't check to see if yours is included.)

3. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    Thanks for your concern but I'm miles away from the nearest Apple Store here, it will take hours.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Depends a lot on the electrical tape I've found it pretty hard to get the good ones lately the market is flooded with much thicker, less sticky, less stretchy ones the last few years and it's extremely hard to tell from just looking especially when it's in sealed packages.

The good tape you can just kind of stretch round the wire and it'll basically keep forever the common stuff now I keep buying by accident would be lucky to stay on a few days.

I'd also advise getting a new charger asap if the wire does get damaged theres an obvious chance at getting a shock but probably a bigger one of the twisted or shorted wires causing a fire.

5. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    How does the wire get damaged? Damn man, you scare me.

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    It's pretty unlikely unless you can see the bare metal of both the + and - but the wire could theoretically get damaged the same way as the coating did just something that's not really worth taking chances on in my opinion.

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    You are talking about the cable, not the charger right? You can get OEM cables cheap, and even the non Apple brands are pretty hard to screw up. The charger is better to get Apple, but I have owned many, many cables due to kids breaking them, and they are all pretty much the same.

That being said, you want cloth electric tape if you can find it. Sticky, will stay on, and is non conductive. But, better to just get a new cable, and not worry about it.