Universal Supermagical (by Gala Pocket)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TheFrost, Jun 22, 2012.

1. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    #221 kioshi, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    The game is epic, the only criticism I can make besides IAP is that the sister 'battles' look like they'd be exciting events and they're not, but no biggie. The fact that it's so good is what makes us complain. I've bought 4.99 games that I played for 30 minutes, thought 'damn this is boring' and never came back to it. And I'm not going to bitch about Crow (one of these games I hated) just because I paid a higher price for it since I'll never enjoy the game unless they completely change it, which is impossible.

Anyway, I dislike the barriers because the way I like to play (and I don't think I'm alone in that) is casually progressing through the game, getting one item or another, and after I'm done, if I really like it, buy extra items and better scores in the stages I've played. The items I have to buy just to progress spoil that. I don't mind not having a ton of pets and all until later as long as I can continue to progress in the game. This is also a genre that we are not used to grinding, if you buy a KRPG you know you'll have to grind a bit, and even then there are some RPGs you don't have to grind at all.

And FYI, I spend 1.99 in coins without thinking 'this is lame' because I found the game is worth more than 1 buck. I can't agree with the progress halting items tho, or the constant popups saying I'd be better off with a turtle I can't afford at the moment in a paid game. I can barely bear with it on freemium titles but in some like Heroes in Time I gladly bought IAPs and the game is free and hardly asked me to buy anything.

2. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Well said!! I don't get why people complain so much especially this game does not push IAP. It's a beautiful game and definitely deserves more then a dollar. I've been here for years and I understand because I am a little stubborn too with letting my dollar go, but when you hear stories like yours its easy to let that dollar go especially for a great game like this. You dont hear to often about how the game was made and how long. People forget (even myself) that tons of hard work is put into these games and we are spending a lousy dollar on it and yet still complain. Unfortunately its the nature of the App Store where you can get tons of free games and $.99 games at any time. Well for me I will be purchasing some IAP just to show my support. You guys deserve it for your hard work.

3. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Consumable iAPs are fascinating and the people that gladly shell out big sums of money for and defend consumable iAPs are even more fascinating. I really like this game, but the iAPs are annoying, albeit to a lesser extent than other games. I'd pay $6.99 or more for this game if I could get it rebalanced and purged of iAPs. That said, the game is still highly enjoyable and the devs should be lauded.

At least we don't have to be logged into Facebook for this one!

4. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    You know what, I think that might be one of the only dev responses to IAP or price structuring that I actually believe. For many of us IAP is a scourge but it looks like its hear to stay, sadly. I'm kinda moved by that open and honest statement, I still dunno if I'd buy the IAP as I never do when it's presented this way, but theres always a first. Bravo sir, and great game.

5. soundofdesign

soundofdesign Member

Aug 28, 2012
    GAMEPLAY QUESTION:

This was asked already, but received no answers. I'm at the Underworld Gates and my warlocks all show up in battle. All I can do is click on them, which seems to activate them much like in the normal levels. When I click on all 6, it appears that the aiming control pops on screen in the lower left, but then nothing happens. Is this a bug? How do you finish the game?

RESPONSE TO IAP DEBATE:

People railing on this game for IAP are being ridiculous, IMO. Unlike most other games, I am at the last level with zero purchases of coins. I've bought the essentials along the way as needed, and am starting to acquire the extra items as I reply levels to try to complete all with three stars. If you are running out of money, then sorry to say it, but perhaps you are just bad at the game. The money bags on each map give 100 gold per bag. Making good combos during levels drop sometimes up to 4 red rubies. Finishing with extra soda gives 100 coins per soda. My point is that the developers put so many ways to earn coins into the game that there's no reason to be running out. And if you want all the super good items, then yes, you should be prepared to grind for them or buy them with money. But as I said, there's no necessary game items that you should be failing to afford unless you are really bad at the game itself. So instead of blaming the developers with your entitled rants, maybe consider that you need to practice more.

To the devs... keep it up. Really great game. One of few that has kept my interest until the end.

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Why are you sorry to say it? Maybe some people are not as good at the game as you are. That doesn't make their opinions or preferences any less relevant.

7. Angelgirliey

Angelgirliey New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    I found this on the devs website:

AUG 26, 2012

Known bugs on Supermagical.
    As with every game launch, there have to be some problems and glitches even testing the game to death and unfortunately Supermagical is not an exception.

There are two bugs at the moment:
    - The Ending Bug: The game freezes right at the game's ending...awww. This problem has been fixed already and sent the update to Apple for review, so it should go live for you to download very soon.
    -The iOS 6 Beta problem: The game crashes at the beginning on devices with iOS 6 Beta firmware. We do not support the beta firmware just yet, although we'll try to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your patience!
    Posted by SuperMegaTeam

So that explains why we are stuck at the last level!

8. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    It's not just the tiger, the same pay to progress system is used in subsequent worlds. The tiger was the obvious scapegoat because the game pushes you towards spending and all of a sudden you realize you don't need to spend just to make the game easier for you, but you also have to pay to progress. If you don't pay, you don't move on, period. This clash is what prompted most of the discussion.

9. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Well, well, and you felt the need to register on the Touch Arcade forums just to say that, right? :)

10. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Thanks for sharing your development story. It was a fascinating read.

So, did your team or publisher ever consider the option of charging $4.99 or even higher for a well-balanced, IAP-free, version of the game? Because as you can read here on the TA forums, many would have paid for it. Also, as game developers who want to create the best iOS games ever, didn't you feel artistically compromised with the IAP/pay-to-progress business model?

Look, I like your game and respect the work that went into it. I did end up buying it but I still won't recommend it to anyone yet. All this ado, I realized, was for what was essentially Bust-a-Move with potions and power-ups. Maybe it's what the world was waiting for, but I myself felt a little disappointed you guys lifted so directly from Taito's formula when it came to the actual puzzle mechanics.

11. soundofdesign

soundofdesign Member

Aug 28, 2012
    I'm not saying their opinions are less relevant. I'm saying that there might be another reason for their opinions. The fact is that this game is able to be finished without grinding or buying coins. So people complaining about IAP for this game should be looking at their own abilities rather than blaming the developers for their business model.

12. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    If the model works poorly for the large fraction of the people who aren't as good as you at the game, isn't that a weakness of the model?

It's like saying, if you can't reach the controls, it's your fault because your hands are too small, don't blame the game.

13. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It really depends, even console games sell DLC, but none say it's IAP.
    Is it worth to buy the IAP, it only depends on do you want to buy it or not.
    For 0.99 dollar, the levels you can get even without buy IAP and replay some levels is already worth the money.
    again, it's a bubble shooting game, just like tetris, how can that be grinding?

14. soundofdesign

soundofdesign Member

Aug 28, 2012
    No, I felt the need to register because of the gameplay question I asked. I'd have thought that was pretty clear. I then decided to respond to the other debate, because under normal circumstances I'd agree 100%. In most games IAP is an unreasonable barrier. But with this game, in particular, it isn't. So seeing people say that simply is not fair.

15. soundofdesign

soundofdesign Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Thanks!!!

16. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    well, that pretty much sums it up. lots of good games are getting ruined this way lately

in the end, this will be "just another" freemium title (even its currently a buck), instead of a genre-classic... and thats a real shame

17. soundofdesign

soundofdesign Member

Aug 28, 2012
    It's this very attitude that frustrates me about many gamers today. For those that remember game systems like Atari 2600 or NES, the game was the game, and it required practice and mastery to complete. And that was the fun of it. That's why you played... for the challenge... to get better.

But entitlement culture and short attention spans are so prevalent today. So that apparently means if a game requires you to play a level a few times to gather money (gasp), then clearly the developers screwed up, right? Or if they allow for that by letting you spend money to assist you, then clearly the developers are greedy, right?

Seriously... I'm not actually that good at the game even. I only have about half the levels three-starred. If you play the game in a very normal manner, there's enough coins.

18. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    #238 klarence, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    It's how people discriminate indie and IOS platform.
    No one would say Dynasty Warrior is overpriced. It's really really repetitive.
    And Ninetendo has the best consumers in the world, they are always satisfied with their games.
    It's about the fame, look at Amazing Alex, Rovio bought it from other and they can make a lot of money through it.
    Making easy money from so called "no brainer""light user" and fans is always a good thing, they are the good people talk less and buy more.
    For no fame indie and newcomer, no one will admit their game is better than some famous ones even if they really are. And no one dare to speak out the truth, because the famous ones' fans would angry at you.
    But it alway be safe to bash the newcomer.
    If a game made by some big company, the game is too easy? fans would say it's accessible to everyone. the game is too diffcult? fans would say it's dedicated to hardcore.

19. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I'm older than you, I played plenty of Atari 2600 games, you could just play at whatever level you wanted. The idea that you have to either pay real-world money or be talented to unlock elements of the game is much newer than that.
    You dismiss anyone who's not as great at you at games by saying they need to practice more. But people have a wide range of skills and ability is the biggest distinguisher, not practice. Personally, I will probably have no trouble unlocking everything either (I haven't played that much). But if someone else isn't as good at the game as me, I don't think it's very decent to say, well, you should expect you have to pay more to play than I do, it's your fault that you aren't more talented. I understand it's an accepted model, and I understand the reasons for it, but I also understand and sympathize with those who aren't well served by it.

20. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    [annoyed rant warning]
    I've seen it countless times until now on the forums - some vocal players have a different view from publisher, and suddenly new users appear (with no interest in any other games, of course) starting to defend tooth and nails the publisher's viewpoint. Lame, easy to read scenario.
    [rant over]

Back to the IAP debate - IMHO this game would've rocked WITHOUT the shoehorned F2P elements, which definitely ruin the experience for me.

Why "shoehorned" ? Well, I said it before - good F2P titles won't lure you into spending ("here's a nice sheep that makes the game easier, here's a cute hat that makes you more money, here's a chance to win massive prizes bla bla") then blam! force you into spending ("gimme 11000 or you can't move on").

Actually, I came to realize I'm so vocal on these matters because I hate to see a perfectly good game (perhaps the best of its genre on the AppStore) ruined by design decisions I can't understand.

I'd like to know whether the devs are really happy with the game as it is, and whether they ever considered just doing first the best traditional game they could, and then relaunch Supermagical 2 with a well-thought, not rushed, F2P model.

To make things clear - I'm not against IAP, I'm not against F2P, I'm just against the way these are implemented here.