Recommend a good video capture card

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Stingman, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    Hey guys,

I know this has probably been asked before, but does anyone have a suggestion for a good video capture card? I'm using a Mac Pro and the BlackMagic Intensity Pro Card. But the card has so many issues for me. I really don't know why because the game runs at 60fps and looks smooth and high quality on the device. But when it transfers to the computer through the capture card it has lag spikes, frame drops and looks as though it's capturing at like 20-30 fps. In other words... crap.

Maybe I got a defective card? I don't know, but a suggestion as to a good video capture card would be awesome. Thanks for any tips.

2. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    So after doing a bit of testing and research it turns out it was the hard drive of my Mac. Apparently a 2013 Mac Pro Standard Hard drive isn't good enough lol. I took out the capture card and installed it in a PC here w/ a hard drive double the speed and sure enough... night and day of a difference. So if anyone experiences this in the future, run the disk speed check utility that comes w/ the Black Magic card. It will let you know estimated FPS that the card will capture as well as what quality it will support at a decent level. I guess I'll be capturing my iPhone video on my PC Tower for now as my Mac Pro doesn't cut it unless I get a new HD.