What's the Best Mahjong Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RttaM, Jul 5, 2010.

1. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Title says all, whats the best?

2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Well the ones I like are Mr Mahjong Touch, Mahjong Artifacts 2 and Shanghai Mahjong. Each are different in their own way so I would check them all to see what parts might appeal to you.

3. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Mr Mahjong hence the hefty price tag.

4. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I never got any Mahjong games for my iDevice, so now I'm looking to get one. I'm torn between Mr. Mahjong Touch, Mahjong Artifacts 1, and Mahjong Artifacts 2.

Which one has the most content? Also, if I was to go with one of the Mahjong Artifact games, would it be better to start with MA1 or could I skip straight to MA2?

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    This was a thread posted just a few weeks ago. As we all know "search is your friend" :D

Best Mahjong Thread

6. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I do know that "search is your friend".. that's why I did not start a new thread for my question :p

I was not simply asking "What is the best Mahjong game" so the answers to my questions could not be found in that thread. Maybe you can help (check post #4) :D

7. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I haven't bought one for the iDevice yet, but in another thread, kyodai mahjongg 2006 for the PC was recommended. It is very nice, and free, and looks great on a big monitor. http://cynagames.com/
    Off topic, I know.

8. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I have been wondering about this question as well so I will revive this thread. I did see the one specifically about the iPad versions, but currently only iPod is important to me. These are the three apps that I am considering for my iPod Touch:

1. Shanghai Mahjong - I tried the demo and did not find touching the tiles to always be accurate.

2. Mahjong - Seems highly rated and has tons of options but it is not universal and don't know if it will be later.

3. Mahjong Elements - I tried the demo and really liked it. I didn't really like being timed, although it has no real impact. The slide in/out bar for stats and options was not really my favorite either. However, the touch controls worked perfectly and it is highly polished. I don't believe that it is universal either.

Any input would be appreciated.

9. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Serian - I wrote this before

Best one for different tile sets is Shanghai Mahjong.

I am just reading this in the evening, and agree with everything that is being said - I have :

Shanghai Mahjong - Lots of tile sets, lots of different setups, well implemented - Overall probably best.

Moonlight Mahjong - allows you to change orientation of the tiles, very handy for being able to look all around. Limited tilesets, but well done. A nice selection of different setups. For me - number 2, but only barely to Shanghai...

Aki Mahjong - made by the same people that make Mondo Solitaire (cards) - a nice selection of setups - although you have to unlock them - and for some, this can be great, or frustrating - some people like the challenge of having to "win" in order to be rewarded. They also have a bunch of "bonus" levels that are unlocked from the get go.. Highly polished. Price is significantly higher - I got it in a rare sale...

Epic Mahjong - another reasonable implementation - this one allows you to build your own custom set ups.. So theoretically infinite playability. I think that Shanghai has about 150 time tested ones, - more than enough for me. Some people like the UI of Epic better - for me, nothing special.

Mahjong Artifacts - this one more of a game than a solitaire game - the quest mode has you winning games and getting various powerups in order to reach a goal. Makes playing it enjoyable. The tiles are a bit more cartoonish than Shanhai or Mahjong, but are still quite nice. The Mahjong Artifacts 1 and 2 for the iPhone scale up fairly well, so if you are looking to save a bit, you can go that route - but the HD certainly is pretty to look at... I prefer Chapter 2 to the Chapter 1, but I can't really tell you why...

There are a couple of free ones that you can try - I think that I have tried them all - but they don't really meet up with the pay ones, especially as you can get Shanghai, or Moonlight for $0.99 - Maybe free would be the way to go if all the others were $5 or more, but for a couple of bucks you can get a couple, and keep the one you really like, and you are still not specding much, and I think you will feel like you got your money's worth...

Good luck and enjoy..

I will add a few things -
    1 - there will be differences from the iPad (which I play on, and the smaller iPhone, or iTouch) - so I find Shanghai Mahjong to be just fine, but it may be problematic on the iTouch.

FDG (the company that makes Mahjong Elements) is a high quality developer - you won't be disappointed. They have a great game, and great support. It is NOT universal. I have the HD version but it is excellent. Also, keep in mind Mahjong Artifacts 1 and 2 - they are both high quality games, but there is a story that links things. Although I have never tried, I do believe both of these have ability to just play the Mahjong solitaire without doing the story mode. If you wanted to get one - I would get MA 2 - it is the second game, and is put together a bit better. Some of the games above may only be available for the iPad - you would have to check. One of the reasons that I have bought so many is they all have variations, and they all have their plusses and minusses - so you either deal with small things, or you get other versions... If I had to chose just 1 out of all of them - Probably Mahjong Elements with MA2 being a close second and Shanghai Mahjong being a close 3rd (again this is for iPad).

10. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I would totally agree with pluto's order of the mahjong games. I would also add Random Mahjong which has a lite to try that I enjoy as well. Each of the four games mentioned has a slight nuance to make them just a little different to enjoy them all.

11. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    #11 Serian, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    Thanks Pluto and NEG!! I appreciate the responses and suggestions. I will probably give Shanghai Mahjong a try again. It does seem like one of the best. I wish Mahjong had a lite version to try, as it seems promising and has made it into the top 200 games list. EDIT: Mahjong does have a lite version!

I used to play Kyodai, that someone else here mentioned, and I really enjoyed it, but it is not available for Mac or iOS. :(

12. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    er...when you say mahjong, do you mean the tilt-removal game or real mahjong with the sophisticated mechanism?

13. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Don't see it in the US store. I think I will just get Shanghai Mahjong. I tried it again and I still have a little trouble always selecting the tiles I want, but I'm not penalized for it so it doesn't matter. The customization offered is really high as well and the interface is clean.

I did really like Mahjong (full name) and it was really good as well. I especially liked the "shadow" option, which would be nice for when I don't feel like hunting for the free tiles as well. If it was universal I would probably opt for that. I didn't notice any tile selection problems as well.

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    #14 pluto6, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    I hope you like it. I love Mahjong Solitaire (best of all platforms - Kyodai), and am still searching for that on the iDevice (it won't happen as the programmer gave or sold the game to someone else). I will have to check out Mahjong. I believe that Shanghai gives an option for highlighting free tiles, and I know that MA1 and MA2 do this. Moonlight Mahjong also does this, and one of the unique things with Moonlight is the ability to change the orientation of the board (like in Kyodai).

Just looked at Mahjong on the app store - looks really good - lots of layouts and different tile sets. If it were universal, I would get it.

15. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I think I will enjoy it; after playing it and going back to Mahjong it was clearly a better choice. The shadowing of tiles may be a feature of Shanghai full version, which I haven't even played yet. :)

Mahjong is actually also on the Mac OSX App Store at $1.99. I am tempted to get it, but overall I like playing on my iPod more. Keep work and play separate.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and comments!

16. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Looks like Moonlight Mahjong went free for today. Guess it's time to try it!

17. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

I didn't like the controls for Mahjong Quest. It was pretty good on PC, but the translation just didn't go that well.

Shanghai Mahjong is still my favorite for iOS.

18. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I have been playing Shanghai for a while now and I decided to pick up Mahjong Elements as well (FDG). Overall I like it better, except that it really needs a quick play button and a few other little options. I wish it was universal as well. I decided I did really like Mahjong enough to buy it as it is a little less polished.

19. plantstorm

plantstorm Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    game developer
  20. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #20 tblrsa, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
    Mahjong! by Byterun is my current favorite. It´s very simple, but it´s the most relaxing version to play for me. With 200 layouts to play, it shouldn´t get old.

I´ve bought the Mac App Store Version, as the iPhone Version is a bit hard on my old eyes. ;) Kudos to the dev though, very very nice conversion.