Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dirty Harry Hannahan, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Which Cave shooter is your favorite? Which game can you get lost in and play for hours on end? :)

2. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Dodonpachi. Looking forward to Blissful Death.

3. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    ^Me too. For whatever reason, these games from Cave activate endorphins in me that no other games can. Like a videogame drug or something.:).

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'd probably actually go with Mushihimesama Bug Panic. Such a unique spin on the genre, and it has a killer online multiplayer mode. Bug Princess and Dodonpachi are more fun than Deathsmiles and Espgaluda though.

5. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    My favorite Cave game is M.Bug Panic..but I don't really consider it shmup. I'm more of a dual stick shooter person, even though Bug Panic's not exactly dual stick shooter either.

Loved Deathsmiles (slightly awkward controls, but love the Castlevania vibe; doesn't satisfy my "bullet hell" bullet patterns itch though). Bug Princess is fun, but for some reason I don't feel compelled to keep replaying the game (only played it a few times since getting the game). I don't have the other 2 though...

6. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I'm going to have to go with Bug Princess.

Espgaluda II trailing right behind it.

And in third Bug Panic

7. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Same here! :)
    My favorite is Deathsmiles´iPhone mode because of the collection.
    But i love them all!

8. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Deathsmiles is my fave, followed by Espgaluda 2. Love the vibe of Deathsmiles, and the fact that it's side scrolling as opposed to top-down. Can't wait or Dodonpachi Blissful Death :)

9. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    For the shmups, these would be my top two as well. If we're counting all Cave games, then Mushihimesama Bug Panic would be pretty high on my list, either 2nd or 3rd.

10. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Right now I like bug princess the best I guess because I know how to play it. I can still can't figure out aweking mode in ESP and I don't know how to use the special in dodonpachi,also i don't like the lasers stuff. Deathsmiles is fun too but it's not top down..

11. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    1. Dodonpachi Resurrection
    2. Espgaluda II
    3. M. Bug Panic
    4. Deathsmiles
    5. Bug Princess

12. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    Death Smiles
    Dodonpachi
    Bug Panic
    Espgaluda
    Bug Princess

13. Itchyant

Itchyant Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    On ios, i'd say espgaluda II.

On all systems, its a tossup between ketsui or muchi muchi pork

14. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Either Espgaluda II or Bug Princess.

15. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
  16. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Mushihimesama-Futari

17. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    1-deathsmiles 2-bug princess & bug panic

18. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Well, in the bullet hell group, we recently had a discussion of our favorite Cave iOS games after Bug Princess 2 came out. I'll copy and past people's reponses in this thread to help people new to bullet hell/Cave games decide on which of the Cave's games to get. I hope its ok if I make a multi post..one post for each of the Bullet Hell group member's response.

19. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Bullet Hell Group's favorite Cave games reponse:

tops2:

1. Bug Panic - A dual stick shooter like game thats intense and fun. This game has a lot of bullets, so its almost a "bullet hell" of dual stick shooters. The levels are huge, and the boss fights are intense, especially the last boss. The multiplayer really shines..the games are short, but fast and intense. The only downfall is its hard to find multiplayer games.

2. Deathsmiles - People seem to either like this game, or rate it low among the iOS Cave games. Its the only horizontal shmup/bullet hell iOS game from Cave. The enemies comes from both sides of the screen, and theres not way around it..sometimes enemies get blocked by your fingers. I'd say this is one of the most awkward setups..but I got used to it. The main thing I love about the game is the Castlevania feel to the game..and the iphone mode has an "rpg-lite" item collecting element. The items actually can greatly affect the game.

3. Bug Princess 2 - This game is great. The levels are varied and the game is straightforward enough for me. I've only recently gotten this game so I don't have too much experience in it yet though. Other's have more experience with this game so I'll leave the reponse to others.

These are the rest that I either recently got, or haven't spent a lot time with so I won't rank them. I've only done one or two runs with most below..but the one that I have the best feel form is Espgaluda 2.

Espgaluda 2
    Bug Princess
    Dodonpachi Resurrection
    Dodonpachi Blissful Death

I'd say for people new to bullet hell..I'd recommend Bug Princess 2. Its easy to get into, the levels are varied, multiple difficulties, and the "wait mode" (action slows down when the game gets intense).

20. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Bullet Hell Group's favorite Cave games reponse:

syntheticvoid:

Favs;

ESPGaluda II
    Bug Princess 2
    Bug Princess
    DoDonPachi Resurrection
    DoDonPachi Blissful Death
    Deathsmiles

I'd put Bug Panic right under BP 2 ATM... But it might work its way back to the #2 spot after I've played through BP 2 another 30 times... =oP

Hmmm... The more I play Blissful Death, the more I like it. I still can't chain to save my life... But just playing through for survival on hell difficulty is pretty fun. I really should spend more time with it, cause I know if I get the chaining down, it could very well go above BP1.