Procreate [iPad] $7.99 -> FREE [update: Sale over]

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by ChrisL, Apr 3, 2011.

1. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Not a game, but a good deal :)

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. AirGear

AirGear Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I have this app before it goes free. For those who bought the app before, here is why it becomes free for a limited time: http://www.savageinteractive.com.au/Blog/2011/04/03/procreate-state-of-the-union/

This is a very good painting app with a simple interface and yet powerful features. I also have SketchBook Pro and ArtStudio, both are great painting apps, but what is good about procreate is that it doesn't have an overwhelming interface and yet the basic controls are good enough to get anyone started. The in-depth features, like adding your own brush and transform (rotate/flip) can be accessed within the basic controls.

I would say procreate is great for casual artists and still good enough for pros. Anyway, just download it, since it is now free.

-----

3. marco76

marco76 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Verona - Italy
    Thank for the post... Down immediately..

4. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    For those that didn't follow the link, the synopsis is that the developer is being maliciously targeted by unscrupulous "users" (competitors) and, luckily, we can help.

If everyone that reads this thread writes up an honest review, after downloading this $8 app for free, we may be able to reduce the impact of these hooligans. Also, you can mark reviews as helpful that are from us. Please reply when you submit your review, so the thread stays active.

BTW, the dev's complaint is legit and Apple's looking into the affair and taking action.

Cheers.

5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I've left a review :) In the Canadian Store though. I'll download it in the US Store to leave a review as well :p

6. Twigget

Twigget New Member

Apr 4, 2011
    #6 Twigget, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
    Thank you!

Thanks for the chance to download your great app. I think it s a great program and will give it the excellent rating it deserves. Thanks again. By the way, did anyone notice that you can import your own textures! Yayy!

7. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Brush with Greatness

Review posted on the app store:

Very powerful tool. Procreate manages to separate itself from the pack by enabling the artist to import and/or create his or her own brush patterns. Once you start toying with this feature, you will soon find that there are limitless possibilities. Some preset brushes are also included, each of which has one-metric-ton of attributes to tweak, so artist of any skill level can jump right in.

The overall focus of the app seems to be including only the most necessary and powerful tools, making them very approachable with simple UI, but then providing a number of attributes to allow fine-tuning. This is no surprise, since the app was created by the same brain-trust that developed the productivity app, Sorted, which is one of the most streamlined, but usable, apps in its class.

One of the highlights is the way the brushes interpret pressure and/or speed to dictate the spray strength. The layers are well-implemented and work just like you think they would, allowing resorting by drag and toggling on and off. Brush size and opacity are on-screen at all times, each with an elegant slider. The smudge tool works quite nicely, the color picker includes linear selects, photos can be imported directly for touch-ups.

All in all, this is a solid effort, with the extensive brush options taking center stage. I own most of the top-tier painting apps on the iDevice and Procreate sits quite comfortably right next to them. Recommended.

8. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    The UI works great just the way I liked it, but the resolution is, unfortunately and like the other apps, just way too small.

9. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    It's not free.

At least, it isn't now.

10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Yea, it ended a few ours ago.

11. eddieg

eddieg Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Thanks for the sale...can't wait to give it a try!

12. natejeevas

natejeevas Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Student
    Not USA
    I've downloaded it even though I don't have iPad, but my mother (shocking!) gonna have one soon, maybe I'll try the app there. From the reviews I can say this must be a good drawing app.

13. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Just saw this was on sale for .99 now. My favorite art app by far! It feels really simple and easy compared to the clutter of other high-end apps, yet it’s deceptively powerful, with Photoshop-style layers and blending modes. More importantly, though, it’s just very quick (on my iPad 2) compared to ArtRage and some others.

Plus I like the icon :)

14. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Easily the best painting app on the iPad 2, or any tablet really.

15. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    It's a brilliant app. I have made portraits for friends, and heck, my book cover on it.

And I have a couple of other apps like Brushes and one more which I haven't used in a long time. Procreate is easily the best to use. As a painter you get complete freedom with it's brush editing. It's blazingly fast which really helps while making quick strokes. Small things about the UI that you will absolutely fall in love with.