Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-30-2013, 01:40 AM

What a surprising nicely done puzzle game! Simple basic mechanics, but devilishly clever puzzles. Winner!

Ryan, can you share a bit about how the puzzles are designed? I can't help but think that the puzzles are made by "working" backward from a final "solution" layout". I can imagine that this procedure can be used to generate some extremely difficult puzzles, since it is easy to work "backward" not but easy at all to then work "forward" again.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 06-30-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Seriously, this one needs more attention.

Block Block Block is a seemingly simple block sliding puzzle game, but it is in truth, one of the most complex, and well thought-of puzzle concept, that is equally perfect in its execution on the touchscreens.

There is no pressure as there is no time limit, so you have all the time in the world to carefully plan and use your limited number of moves to figure out these seemingly innocent but strategically placed blocks.

The basic premise, is that you have to eliminate all the colored blocks on the board, using a limited number of moves, and using the match-3 concept as the process for getting rid of them.

Sound simple? Well the first pack is, because it is basically the game's tutorial, and the part of he game that helps you get familiar with how these puzzles work.

The complexity of the puzzles comes when you start to see "Dead Blocks," colorless (transparent-ish) blocks that cant be moved, then you start to see the blocks having 2 different colors you need to match to eliminate them, then you see 3 colors in one puzzle, and then there are Immovable colored blocks that still need to be eliminated.

This is one well-thought of set of brain-skewers taht will keep you well occupied, all for the price of FREE.

The catch? The ads, that can be gotten rid of through IAP.

Puzzles like this NEVER need IAPs by design, as each one of the puzzles need to be figured out old-school.

But for those stumped by the complexity of the puzzles, there are hints that can help you get through them, and you can get a few of them as you play, but you also have the option to buy these hints as IAPs.

Thing is, if you enjoy a bit of puzzle games, and end up buying a hefty number of hints, that doesnt make you much of a puzzler, but rather, more of cheater, which is nothing to be proud of, especially when completing puzzles of this caliber.

So download Block Block Block, buy the remove-ads IAP, and get those brain cells in action.

240 thought-wrenching puzzles in a free game. What can be much better than that? Right, the no-ads version. So get to it!

Highly Recommended. Even my dad couldnt stop figuring out the puzzles.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:44 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 6.x

Just completed the fourth pack, and enjoying the rising difficulty. Glad I dropped a couple of quid on this game; good job devs.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Touch Arcade forum's Game Of the Week Poll - June 27, 2013

Block Block Block was nominated as a candidate for Touch Arcade forum's Game of the Week. Final voting is occurring over the next 3 days here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=194573

Last edited by undeadcow; 06-30-2013 at 07:54 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Well it has my vote.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:19 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I decided to check this game out last night

1 level pack in, I'm really liking this game
Old 07-02-2013, 06:52 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Yeah, after reading Hoggy's post and others here, I figured I'd give the game a shot. It's a pretty solid game and the difficulty does ramp up. I ate up the first 4 level packs without spending a dime. The banner ads at the bottom were non-intrusive so I don't mind them... though on occasion a full screen ad would pop up upon starting a new level from the menu (didn't seem to happen when choosing the next puzzle button).

Achievement points earned is super weak. I wonder why they did that?

Still, it's a solid game worth giving a run through, but kind of like the puzzle mode in Polarium on the DS... I have a feeling this is a once and done kind of deal. Replayability seems super low.

Last edited by nightc1; 07-02-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Old 07-04-2013, 11:01 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Finally finished off the last of the puzzles tonight. No bad at all for a free game. The full screen ads occasionally glitched. Sometimes they would register a touch well before the ad showed on the screen. Sometimes they would get locked up for a couple seconds during the last frame of animation that had them disappear after hitting the x button. Still for free, it's a solid game and the big ads only showed a few times during any serious long bout of gaming. I didn't use any IAP (not that I ever would), so I can confirm the game is fully beatable without IAP or even cheating.