Broken iTunes icon?!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by blitter, Apr 25, 2011.

1. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

#1 blitter, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    (edit: issue resolved)

I have no idea how, but by uploading an update it has "broken" our old 1.0 icon on the store. What is now being displayed is the alpha icon which I uploaded around 2 months ago when the name was registered. I've contacted IC, just wondered if anyone has heard of this happening before and if there's a way to get our 1.0 icon back displaying.

btw: the update fixes 3GS and Touch 3. I feel quite rediculous about how that went - somehow I believed those devices only had GLES1.1...I was seriously shocked to find they had GLES2.0 when the app went live. Another valuable lesson learned.

2. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

This is not related to your problem, but what do you mean by registering the app name?how is that done?thanks

3. blitter

In iTunes Connect: Manage Your Apps, Add New App (top-left button...kinda invisible until you look at it then it turns blue ;-)...it took me a minute too!).

4. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Did you try to upload a new icon? You don't have to submit an update of the app to change the iTunes icon as far as I know.

5. That was the case previously, but now you do have to submit a new update to change the icon. Apple wants a chance to review the icon.

6. blitter

#6 blitter, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    This is why i don't get how it changed! It shouldn't be possible but we all know what computers are like.

7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I have a really slow/intermittent internet connection on the boat and I always worry about corruption when I upload my apps. My first instinct would be to contact the resolution centre to see if they can retrieve a cached icon or permit a new icon submission, independent of a binary.

8. blitter

That's cool starjimstar! I imagine you must park up at some exotic location and draw from the inspiration surrounding you, coding fine apps :)

You shouldn't worry about errors, CRC will deal with that for us.

Yes they have the new icon already (same as on my site...the png version is there too if you're reading Steve lol).

9. blitter

Still no response from tech support. It's like telling a shop that their window display is damaged but the shop keeper just stands there for a few days! Sales were down to single figures yesterday, I guess it's time to move on and make a free game...that's what people want.

10. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Apple doesn't care about developers. At least not about small indie developers. We're not the ones paying them our money.

11. blitter

I hear that.

Well I was just registering the name for the free game, but alas it wants an icon before continuing...haha I'm not falling for that one again!

12. blitter

#12 blitter, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    Broken review system TOO

Further to the above, it has been brought to our attention a number of times that users have left 5 star reviews, yet nothing is showing in the stores or iTC. Other users have just said "it (iTunes) won't let me".

Still no response from the powers that be.

Edit: Icon is now fixed. Not sure about reviews/ratings...1 near ours has them, perhaps things will catch up soon.

Thanks for all comments.

13. blitter

Finally had an email back from one of iTC's robots:

"Hello,

We appreciate your feedback and will keep this in mind for future enhancements to iTunes Connect and the App Store.

Best Regards,

iTunes Connect Support"

14. jclardy

jclardy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    This happened to me with my new game Rocket Chimp as well.

I uploaded the "beta" icon around a month ago, and 2 weeks ago uploaded the final icon and screenshots when I submitted the binary.

The app was approved a week later and I set the release date for a week out.

When it came out, it had the old icon for the first day and then it updated to the new icon after that.

Not a huge deal since I liked both icons, but it was a little strange having the icon switch when you downloaded the app.

15. blitter

Yes jclardy our icons are our ID and should remain more or less the same throughout their public appearance...it's obvious in hind sight that an icon deserves a fulltime effort. For our next project it was one of the first things we did, though we still haven't finalized it.

If I was starting again then our icon would be more colourful. But since adding our logo (which compliments the bubble colour) I think it's best to think more about the new image for our next project - the free game.

Hey great news all!! UK app store / iPad / Entertainment / New & Noteworthy :) it feels so good to make that list of 20! Thanks to all of our supporters...it's times like these that help us developers to make the updates better still!

16. blitter

#16 blitter, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
    That was brief...I've not finished first celebration drink and our app has gone from New & Noteworthy.

I realize this forum is not a blog, but developers I have some sound development advice for you all...Don't Walk Under Ladders!

edit: before I forget again - and before I go to the lab and don't come back without a game...Touch Arcade was added in the credits of our app (update available now ;-)...cheers all!