How important is iCloud support?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rocket5tim, Jul 6, 2014.

1. rocket5tim

rocket5tim Active Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Game designer
    Toronto Canada
    I'm about to start adding iCloud support to our game, but I'm wondering just how important this feature is to gamers. I can totally see the value for those gamers who frequently jump between different devices, but is that common amongst the average iOS gamer?

Our game is a rather deep adventure, so I could see it being a good fit for us and it's a feature I've been planning since the beginning. But still I'm curious how much the effort will be appreciated by fans, reviewers and Apple.

2. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    Hi rocket5tim!

Just this guy's opinion, but I think fans super-appreciate the effort/feature, but I suspect the numbers of people that actually use the feature are much fewer. Fortunately, customer/fan service is great for building trust and loyalty, so I feel your time isn't being wasted even if you ever saw low stats on your cloud usage.

But I'm also curious what others here would say... ?

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I don't know. I have found only 20% of users for me login to gamecentre (which I expected to be much higher) but i expect iCloud use would be much lower.

4. rocket5tim

rocket5tim Active Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Game designer
    Toronto Canada
    Yep, agree that this is probably a feature that people will appreciate. I'd also like to hear from a few other devs.

Wow only 20%? That sounds really low to me.

5. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Yeah I know I was shocked at the low number. If they say no I don't ask again unless they click the achievements button. I expected a much higher number (like 80%+) since it is default there on an apple device.

6. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Possibly the most useful part of iCloud support for game players is that your game progress is still saved if you delete the game from the device and re-install it later. Or if the device gets wiped for some reason, or if you upgrade to a new device.

The cross device sync is actually a bit of a pain as it's never going to be 100% reliable without some changes to the iCloud sign-in process. You won't be able to stop potential issues with 2 players playing the game on 2 devices with the same iCloud account (Player A loans a friend his iPod Touch while he plays on his iPhone for instance) and both games throwing different game data at iCloud simultaneously. Which one do you use? So you just have to go with a best case scenario as (hopefully) that one won't happen all that often.

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    That actually made me delete a game because I lost my progress and couldn't be bothered redoing it.