Is anyone else getting aggravated with developers? iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Roadblocked, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Roadblocked

Roadblocked Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    So, I've had my iPhone 4, for about a month now, and I know I'm going to come off as a whine ass for this, but I am wondering if anyone else is as frusterated with developers, already, as I am.

For example; the other day, I was reading the preview for "spider: Brice manor hd" for the iPad, and tiger style developers said, they do not have plans currently to give us an iPhone 4 update, because -they- do not have one yet.

To me this came off as a very novice comment, after all, aren't the developers developing products to earn -our- money? So, quite frankly, who cares what hardware they are using?

If I am going to be alienated by developers because I use a higher end device, I guess we should just spend our money elsewhere? I don't know about the average iPhone user, but I definitely have a 70 dollar a month app addiction, consistently.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say here, is if you are a developer, get on it with the iPhone 4 updates, or you will be losing customers to developers who do update.

I'm no programmer, but honestly, developers, how hard is it to throw a few lines of code to give us the functionality we would pay for?

In the words of Joe Dirt, Tiger Style, "it's not what you like, it's the consumer"

Endrant

2. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Don't worry about it friend. As many will tell you, you've got to wait it out when a new machine comes out. I remember similar things with newly release consoles.

If you are in to FPS, pick up Archetype and Eliminate: Gun Range.

Give it a week or two and Zen Bound 2 will make full use of the iP4, with the gyro being used as well as retina display optimized visuals.

I believe Jet Car Stunts is getting retina support, as well as many other games.

3. Psykikgmr

Psykikgmr Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    What iPhone update were you thinking of for Spider: Bryce Manor? Texture updates I'm taking? It takes some time to do, and with a very small development team such as Tiger Style who have been working hard on the iPad version for awhile, you really think they had a lot of time on the iPhone 4 updates? - I'm only guessing here, but I think they were spending their resources trying to get the iPad version out as soon as they could. Programming takes a lot of time, and they're a small development team. They don't have an update, maybe cause they were hard at work to get it's fans the HD version and I'm very happy they did. The iPad version is awesome.

Be patient, again programming takes a lot of time and very small development teams can only handle so much at a time. There is no need to get aggrivated at all especially with the that example you just gave.

4. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    'Aggravated with developers?' 'novice comment'? 'who cares what hardware they're using'? 'throw a few lines of code'?

...seriously?

5. Bmamba

Bmamba Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Game dev
    Canada
    Lol yeah he kind of sound like a douche:)

To the op: The iphone4 is not even release in most of the world yet. Give it some time...

6. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    i have a lot of games i'm waiting to get updated too. If there is an ipad version, there will be an iphone4 version soon to follow. Just be patient. x-plane just released all of their 8 versions for the iphone4. "x-plane hd" and it looks amazing. It's just a quick port of the ipad version, but looks much better on the iphone. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet.

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

8. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    that would make an awesome game:rolleyes:

9. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Novice comment...few lines of code?

*smack*

10. Registeel

Registeel Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I'm getting so aggravated I'm going GREEN!!!

[​IMG]

11. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Actually, the art assets are the hardest part. If developers didn't have the foresight to render higher res assets in the first place, they might not have the ability to easily release an updated version without completely redoing all of the assets.

On top of that, iPhone 4 is a relatively small market. I have an iPhone 4 already and frequently do look at the 'Made for iPhone 4' games so yeah, there is some lost sales for developers. iPhone 4 market is still relatively small. Most small developers like me, though, don't have time necessarily to produce all the assets/code versions required to target all these different devices. At this point, we need to target iPhone running iOS3, iPhone running iOS 4 (non iPhone 4), iPhone 4, and iPad. Each of these have different APIs available, different graphics/UI considerations, etc. Few lines of code? Hardly.

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    There are also a number of iPhone 4 owners who are either quite happy to play games that weren't specifically made for iPhone 4, or simply aren't savvy enough to know what the difference is. I doubt developers are really losing that much at this point in time.

We all knew the changeover wouldn't be instant, just give it a while.

13. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Code:
    if(device == iphone4) {
    UPGRADE TEH GRAPHICS;
    }

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That was a bit of win.

15. AssyriaGameStudio

AssyriaGameStudio Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    The issue is as has been said before; we all designed out GUI's and stuff based on normal iPhone resolution... with the higher resolution ALL the 2d art assets need re-doing... This is not a small task for most games, it certainly isn't just adding a few features, it's a complete re-swap of all the art assets...

In addittion as with all new OS updates on any platform; there are likley to be a few changes and bug fixes which may or may not effect us as developers so we personally are waiting till like 4.2 (ish) where the OS has been proven and is stable...

Also as mentioned; it really isn't too viable yet, as iPhone 4 isn't yet a large enough segment of the market to justify an entierly new version of the game with art assets swapped in and out... As the majority of sales for any developer are in the first month... So releasing an iPhone 4 specific version a month after release/ when the user base is still not yet nearing it's "leveing off point" and the launch purchasing spree is over is not that great a business decision...

Just my 2c anyway.

16. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    As a dev I really think the point of this thread is (excuse me) pretty dumb

1) Devs should have devices - yeah, I agree. Except for the fact that they are not available in tons of countries. It took us 2-3 months to finally find an iPad which we could buy with an invoice

2) Games should be iPhone 4 ready once it appears - yeah, I agree. Except that Apple doesn't give developers ANY information whatsoever about future hardware before it's presented to everyone else

3) iPhone 4 updates should appear quickly -yeah, I agree. Except that it's better to have no update than to release an untested and possibly buggy update. We have one of our games 100% ready for iPhone 4 retina update but we're not gonna release it until we get a device and test it ourselves

4) Games should get iPhone 4 updates - yeah, I agree. Except that it requires new set of graphics which is expensive and sometimes not doable

5) Games should get iPhone 4 updates ctd - yeah, I agree. Except that making games is a business and iPhone 4 update might have no return on investement

And the list goes on. Generally I agree with everything, EXCEPT for everything

17. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Shame on those developers for buying a second yacht when they should be expanding their teams so that they can update your games! I'm pretty sure this is the real cause of the panhandle oil spill. What's the world coming to?

18. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Come on! I needed that second yacht! The old one only had space for one helicopter!

19. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    No problem, just make another iPhone game and use the profits to buy two more helicopters to fly your other helicopter around. That's what everybody else is doing.

20. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Wow, this guy is a novice learner & a pro idiot. They don't want to release iPhone4 support without testing it. Many developers have gotten bad ratings for posting iPad versions before they could get iPads.