Official "The Mystery of the Mystery Creatures" Development Thread

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by eaglebob, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaglebob

eaglebob Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Hey guys! This thread is to cover the development and any news regarding mine and jeonghyunhan's Pokemon-esque game. The previous thread can be found here.

We are still early in the process of development, but we would like to share news and art with you guys as we move along. And just note that the title of this thread is just a WORKING TITLE and I basically just made it up to name this thread something.

We are trying to make a game similar to pokemon, but different in tone and humor to make it our own. We also are changing the battle system a bit to make it simpler to play on the iPhone to differentiate our game from just a straight up pokemon ripoff. But most importantly: we are not Nintendo and couldn't live up to the real Pokemon even if we tried. But we hope it is fun and that you guys all enjoy it.

Just so you guys know, I am in charge of the art and jeonghyunhan is doing all the programming. We are both thinking up ideas for gameplay and writing it.

To start off this thread, here are two screenshots we are using to try and develop the look of the game. Note: THESE ARE NOT FINISHED. What you see in these screens are still in-progress. And hopefully they will look even better as we go along. But it'll give you a little taste.

I know iPhone gamers are incredibly impatient (I am guilty of this as well), but please be patient with us. We are only 2 guys and we are both full-time students, but we are doing our best to get this done. Hopefully this thread will help you guys with the wait.

Attached Files:

2. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    it looks really good for an early version of the game :)

keep it up i cant wait to play this game when its finished !

3. TonreG

TonreG Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    looks very good! keep on going ;)

4. MetroGnome217

MetroGnome217 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    di u keep my idea about shadows?

5. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    #5 Chronical, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    looks good for a testversion, but if you would release it like this, nobody would buy it.
    I don't like the house and the character, but I like the trees very much :D
    The mystery of the mystery creatures sounds a lil' bit .. say.. stupid?
    How about replacing the second word with a different one?
    I'd call it different, but it's your decision ;)
    my ideas would be:
    Path of Blood: Akihito's Adventure
    or something like
    The Story of the endless Creation.
    Or something like (no.2 :D)
    The Path of Akihito
    (I'd call the hero Akihito :p)

6. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    he said that the name of the thread isnt the name of the actual game. he said he just made up the thread title so it could have a name instead of nothing :)

7. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Looks promising. :) I had thought the graphics looked like that of a pokemon game even before I read your post.

8. $h!tB4G!4L!F3

$h!tB4G!4L!F3 Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Call it something like iPhonemon!
    Like the other one said, the house looks pretty fail. The character is OK, but he needs to get bigger. He's too small!!

9. Petrus

Petrus Well-Known Member

I've been following this from day one and I have to say that it's starting to look great. You guys should also use the Twitter more often.

10. tehdewm

tehdewm Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Well as he said, its a work in progress, so the house really doesn't seem to be an issue. It looks pretty good. As someone posted before the trees look great, a few other visual touches would most likely be tweaked for a final release so I won't worry about commenting on those. Good Job.

11. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    I know, I just wanted to leave my ideas in here ;)

12. jeonghyunhan

jeonghyunhan Active Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Here is another screenshot with the character buffed up a bit:
    [​IMG]

13. zlibd

zlibd Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    New York
    sezzy:D

14. DietPoopSoda

DietPoopSoda New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Woah, this could be very awesome! I have not played Pokemon since Pokemon Blue. I kinda miss it...

15. Joshn

Joshn Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    England
    Yup, i had pokemon blue when i was in the last year's of primary school and never played pokemon since :p

16. apppanther

apppanther Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Wow!

Wow! clap clap clap Very impressed! I love pokemon, Ive been playing pokemon ever since pokemon blue, all the way up to pokemon mystery dungeons, ive been following this game for months and cant wait for its release! Keep up the great work guys, luv the latest screenshot!

17. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Looks great, keep it up! :D

18. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    good luck with this man, it's gonna be a massive load of work! the style looks great though, so keep it up!

19. touchme

touchme Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Bay Area
    Looks awesome, been following since day 1!

20. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Looks good, and I commend you for thinking to make it more "pick up and play, quick blast gameplay" than a portable system game series like Pokemon, as that fits the mobile platform gaming paradigm better.

If I can make one suggestion:

I notice a sort of dpad in the corner of those screenshots. Seems like mini hotspots.

I'd rather you NOT use such a control interface. Virtual dpads are used much too often, and in a game that is an RPG, a turn based RPG at that (as that's how I remember Pokemon, and I would gather that's what you're doing with this game) it really isn't necessary.

Wouldn't it rather be best to make the stock control interface "tap to move"?

A "tap where to move to move there" interface would actually help speed the game up, which is something that you're shooting for anyway as you stated. And as this is a turn based RPG, with, if you are mimicking Pokemon, a separate battle screen, gamers are going to be tapping attack and defense options anyway.

Chronicles of Inotia used this control method, and while some may have quibbles with the gameplay in that game, the control method wasn't really one of them as it was super simple to "get" and it made for very fast gaming sessions.

Or you could implement the "swipe to move" method employed by Bobby Carrot.

Either way is preferable, IMHO, to a virtual dpad, especially for a turn based RPG.