Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 04-01-2014, 12:00 PM
iPad Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
Will the existing app go from iPad only to Universal or will there be a separate iPhone version? If the latter, will the changes get folded into the iPad version?
We haven't decided that part yet, few days ago IndieGames Blog asked me the same question so I think I would give similar answer, right now we can imagine couple of ways for example - 1) new version will be standalone iPhone app while iPad users will get extra new levels with a free update or 2) app becomes universal in that case we have yet to figure out what to do with old iPad levels that are being replaced in a iPhone version with new different ones 3) some other way we haven't figured out yet.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 PM
iPad Air

I recently had a chance to give very elaborate interviews and postmorthem on design and concept behind the game:
http://gamesauce.org/news/2014/04/02...ld-of-puzzles/
http://www.gamesinasia.com/the-story...ysical-object/
both turned out pretty great and provide lots of insights into development and conceptualization of the game.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:07 AM
iPad Air

Recently I was designing the icon / logo for the new version of the game, currently most of the time I spend on puzzles, doing around 1 level a day, sometimes two but in case of hard and complex ones it is usually a day for a puzzle to be born, tested and adjusted, i often come back to puzzles to reapply colors.
I aim for a very nice composition in shapes and colors the moment a player would see a level but also in cases when tiles gets mixed up and the final alignments when the level is solved, all three stages should look great.
I should also mention that new version will have much more types of puzzles, there are gread sand box types oen where solution is completely up to the player..

However today the topic is the new icon and how i made it:
I felt that for the new universal cross platform version that we are cooking we needed new and more colorful logo.

First I looked at the levels we have done, I am still designing more puzzles, and there will be at least 20% more puzzles compared to iPad version.
I wanted an iconic level that would highlight Shapsit uniqueness for those who played it

(1-2)I picked 4 puzzles, one almost the very first one, and other 3 had each a special type of block in them, be it a spring rotational.

(3) Then I turned them into isometric perspective in Photoshop. Fast and dirty first

(4) It became obvious that the level with the spring int he middle was exactly what I looked for, so I started to play around with block position within the puzzle.

(5) Finally I composition I wanted was achieved, I made a vector out of it.

(6) Now it was time to experiment on position, background colors etc, I would Photoshop all icons into iPhone screen and later best ones i would move into real device to see.

And the bottom right one won to be the new icon, it will also be on the posters and cards
By the way Shapist will be at Singapore's Casual Connect as part of the Indie Prize showcase on May 20th to May 22nd come visit us!