Game development: Kickstarter or do it ourselves?

04-06-2014, 02:00 PM
#1
Game development: Kickstarter or do it ourselves?

Good morning/afternoon/evening/night.
I'm rookie in game development.
Now I have small team and great idea for game.
We're working at the project and... We have problem.
We are on the crossroad. Or we do mediocre game by ourselves or hire professionals for help.
We don't have enough money to do that, so we're thinking about going to kickstarter.
So, we're looking for your advice.
1. Should we go to kickstarter? And how should we act on kickstarter?
2. If yes, how we can do publicity. We think about talk to bloggers, but from we're from Russia and don't have connections. Oh, we don't now even names of popular bloggers.

I will be very thankful for your thoughts.
04-06-2014, 04:40 PM
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwit View Post
Good morning/afternoon/evening/night.
I'm rookie in game development.
Now I have small team and great idea for game.
We're working at the project and... We have problem.
We are on the crossroad. Or we do mediocre game by ourselves or hire professionals for help.
We don't have enough money to do that, so we're thinking about going to kickstarter.
So, we're looking for your advice.
1. Should we go to kickstarter? And how should we act on kickstarter?
2. If yes, how we can do publicity. We think about talk to bloggers, but from we're from Russia and don't have connections. Oh, we don't now even names of popular bloggers.

I will be very thankful for your thoughts.
You need a good solid prototype to do well on kickstarter before you even think about other things.

If your game is mediocre to show off, expect to get virtually nothing from kickstarter. You need polish.

My advice post your prototype and screenshots on forums, gauge the level of interest to if a kickstarter is worth the time involved or if you should just keep developing yourself.

Remember game ideas are pretty much worthless without execution, so to be successful you need to be able to show execution by prototype. The ones that don't are industry legends who people know have made many amazing games in the past.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8

04-06-2014, 11:30 PM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
You need a good solid prototype to do well on kickstarter before you even think about other things.

If your game is mediocre to show off, expect to get virtually nothing from kickstarter. You need polish.

My advice post your prototype and screenshots on forums, gauge the level of interest to if a kickstarter is worth the time involved or if you should just keep developing yourself.

Remember game ideas are pretty much worthless without execution, so to be successful you need to be able to show execution by prototype. The ones that don't are industry legends who people know have made many amazing games in the past.

I will use outsourcing for this game.
I have some money for cool video and prototype development.
On kickstarter I think to raise money for finishing work.
That's the plan.
04-07-2014, 03:12 AM
#4
Sounds risky. I have never seen a kickstarter succeed in gaming where the majority of funding was going to a third party developer to do the actual work.

To me it seems more like you need a bank loan than a kickstarter!

What does your small team actually do?

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
04-07-2014, 12:57 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
Sounds risky. I have never seen a kickstarter succeed in gaming where the majority of funding was going to a third party developer to do the actual work.

To me it seems more like you need a bank loan than a kickstarter!

What does your small team actually do?
Someone must be first.
We need money for world class design (at least the level of Medieval hd (similar game)) sound, and some stuff that we can't do.
It cost much.
04-07-2014, 03:07 PM
#6
Hi!
I'm actually puzzled by the idea that you could not already make a good game with your team. Chances are that you're aiming way too high for your first product.
Before straining yourselves over a project which might never get finished, tire everybody, get stretched because of bad surprises and make everybody anxious because of the lack of money, why don't you put it on hold and think about a smaller project first, one you feel confident your team could complete?
04-07-2014, 04:43 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwit View Post
Someone must be first.
We need money for world class design (at least the level of Medieval hd (similar game)) sound, and some stuff that we can't do.
It cost much.
With no development history and relying on third parties I would advise against doing this. You might not be able to deliver on a kickstarter.

I agree with other advice, start small and complete something your team can actually do! That way you know you will finish.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
04-08-2014, 01:04 AM
#9
Thank you guys.
I think you are right.
I will do app at first (not game), and then do such huge project.