Support our Sponsors:

Old 09-11-2013, 02:07 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadbareConnor View Post
Based off of a 30 second Google search, yes there are hundreds. Paying for them is for chumps though. Especially when there are so many great communities full of mature gamers who are happy to give their opinion on almost anything.
If we wanted a focus group we could get one. I prefer to make real connections with people and just ask them strait up what they want, and then give it to them.
I totally understand. There goes my idea for a service. Someday I would really like to be involved in the gaming industry however I'm never going to be a proficient coder and I'm not artistic. There are some many great games out there that don't get noticed. It seems like there needs to be a better way to match up gamers (and non-gamers) with great games.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Here is my ideal use of IAPs in games!

Most iOS games should start off as FREE crippled demos of the full game with a reasonably priced IAP to unlock the full game.

If later on the developer wants to add a big chunk of content, like new characters, levels, or game modes, I'm all for grabbing permanent additions via IAP.

Stuff that chaffs my hide are many of the cheesy bilking freemium tricks like consumable IAPs. Stuff like one time use power-ups or mandatory time-outs unless the player pays to bypass them make one feel like they don't own a game, but are merely leasing it. Even though many such games allow the player to earn cash for most of it's items in-game, odds are it would take MANY sessions just to earn one use of some lower tiered power-up for one single session. Even better, I love cases where you finally give, pay the real cash for this disposable item only to get interrupted by real life. Good luck trying to get your friend to reimburse you for the IAP he just forced you to waste because of his call.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:32 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Here is my ideal use of IAPs in games!

Most iOS games should start off as FREE crippled demos of the full game with a reasonably priced IAP to unlock the full game.

If later on the developer wants to add a big chunk of content, like new characters, levels, or game modes, I'm all for grabbing permanent additions via IAP.

Stuff that chaffs my hide are many of the cheesy bilking freemium tricks like consumable IAPs. Stuff like one time use power-ups or mandatory time-outs unless the player pays to bypass them make one feel like they don't own a game, but are merely leasing it. Even though many such games allow the player to earn cash for most of it's items in-game, odds are it would take MANY sessions just to earn one use of some lower tiered power-up for one single session. Even better, I love cases where you finally give, pay the real cash for this disposable item only to get interrupted by real life. Good luck trying to get your friend to reimburse you for the IAP he just forced you to waste because of his call.
I agree with this strategy. Consumable IAP items really cloud the water. Instead of focusing on how to advance in a game by skill and strategy you're thinking about how to get the most bang for your buck with IAP. I also don't think developers should be on the hook to provide free updates for an indefinite period of time.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
I agree with this strategy. Consumable IAP items really cloud the water. Instead of focusing on how to advance in a game by skill and strategy you're thinking about how to get the most bang for your buck with IAP. I also don't think developers should be on the hook to provide free updates for an indefinite period of time.
Fixes and improvements of the game should always be free but whether new content is free or not I leave at the discretion of the developer. One of I think the best compromises to big thematic chunks of new content is to add at least one of the cool new features, even if in a somewhat limited way, as a freely added bit to the core game, but you'll need to pay for the whole package.

Oh, a great example of this can be seen in Stair Dismount. With every new thematic level pack ONE of the levels is provided freely to the players. If you want to see more of these classic video game inspired levels you'll need to buy the pack.

Another decent preview system is what they do in the Zen Pinball games. You are free to try out any of the many tables but if you want to play far enough into a table to see more of its features in action and track your high score, you'll need to pay up.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
I totally understand. There goes my idea for a service. Someday I would really like to be involved in the gaming industry however I'm never going to be a proficient coder and I'm not artistic. There are some many great games out there that don't get noticed. It seems like there needs to be a better way to match up gamers (and non-gamers) with great games.
Sound like you would be a great producer!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:07 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorkbot View Post
I'm also struggling with this issues as we finish up our Glorkian Warrior iOS game. I think I want to release the core game for $1.99 and then if it does well enough to be worth the effort add additional content later for another 99 cents.

I know a lot of people won't download the game at all if it's not free, though.
Have you tried making it free for a week. Shifts was $2 and got about 2k downloads. Then, we went free for a week and got 15k downloads, which is what made us think an expansion was in order. Good to see a fellow Dev in the thread.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I must be in the minority. I hate demos. I like to read about the games, make an informed decision and straight up PAY for it.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:25 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorkbot View Post
I must be in the minority. I hate demos. I like to read about the games, make an informed decision and straight up PAY for it.
I'm not a big demo person either. I like to purchase something and play it through to the end. Otherwise it's a like giant buffet where you sample a little of everything but you don't really enjoy anything.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:39 AM

I don't mind IAP as long as it isn't consumable or required content to make a game enjoyable/playable. I don't like aggressive up selling in my games, content in selection menus I have to buy, things that look selectable but prompt for purchase. I tend to prefer a lite version for demoing purposes rather than an IAP full game unlock.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Thanks for the thoughts guys! I think I see a trend in what people are looking for.