3ds games. What do you suggest

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by CreamSoda, Jan 8, 2014.

1. #1 CreamSoda, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    I'm new to handhelds and have picked up a 3ds in hopes of finding my childhood again, so to speak. Games I remember making me ole video games were of course the Mario Bros side scrolling, my favorite RPGs and only three I love Mario rpg, shadowrun, and earthbound. Also I played a few games on game boy and absolutely loved Pokemon trading card game.

My questions now are...
    Do they make any of the above onto the 3ds.
    Also I need your suggestions on the best 3ds games to buy.

In the next few days I'm going to buy a handful of games and want all the gems.
    Please help with suggestions for the most fun games

So far I've bought
    super Mario land 3d
    Mini Mario from eshop
    Mario picross from eshop

2. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    For side scrolling games, there is New Super Mario Bros 2 which came out. I haven't played it myself, but it seems to be up your alley. In terms of that genre, Donkey Kong 3ds has gotten good reviews, and a new Kirby game is coming out soon.

For rpgs, there is quite a lot, though most are jrpgs. However, Sticker Star and Dream Team are the closest to Mario RPG, and A Link Between Worlds is probably closest to Earthbound.

I absolutely loved the Pokemon TCG, and easily put in over 300 hours into it over the years. Unfortunately there are no signs of a pokemon tcg coming over, however Pokemon X and Y are out, and I'd highly recommend those.

3. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    #3 JCman7, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X/Y, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Prof Layton Miracle Mask, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario Sticker Star, and Kid Icarus Uprising are all games I recommend! So many great games on the 3ds.

4. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I considered buying a 3ds just to play Animal crossing.

But some other games I also thought looked good are-
    Luigi's mansion, that new RPG with mario and Luigi, the new Kirby game, mario world 3d, Pokemon x, etc

5. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Don't do that! Get a Vita and it's for Adults

6. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    While I realize your intentions were from the heart, I hope you realize starting a flame war is going to lead nowhere.

7. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    I'm an adult and have a 3ds (err... 2ds) haha. I always found it funny when people say that, bit whatevs.

Anyway I'm currently playing A Link Between Worlds and it's fun. Also I've played 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Nano Assault, etc. and would recommend those as well. Donkey Kong looks like it could be fun too.

There are a few demos you can try of course. I played the demo for Mario and Luigi Dream Team and found it to be quite fun...

8. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Video games are technically a kids thing anyway so you cant really make that an argument. 3DS has much better games then a Vita but to each their own. I get so bored of shooters and all this other garbage on Sony and Microsoft consoles. Nintendo games I never get bored of.

9. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    We have super paper Mario, new super Mario brothers, Mario 3d world, Mario kart seven, animal crossing new leaf, luigis mansion, rayman, the Micky mouse illusion one, these are the most played ones, but my daughter also a few others like nintendogs and style boutique which bore the shit out of me but she loves them.

10. MarioKartMaster

MarioKartMaster Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Definitely get both Zelda games (OoT 3D and ALBW). Some other good ones are Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus Uprising, and Mario Kart 7. There's also Starfox 64 3D, though that's more of a port than anything else.

11. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I'm not agreeing with him, but this is just wrong. Videogames can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of age or gender. Not all games are made or should be played by kids. Let the 'videogames are only for boys (male children)' stereotype die.

12. Crazyleo

Crazyleo Active Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Unemployed
    ON Canada
    And don't forget that you can play NDS titles on the 3DS. Plus there are virtual console games available on the 3DS.

13. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    It's been widely considered a childish thing "play games" kinda thing, not that I think that way. It's definitely for all ages

14. jaggi

jaggi Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2013
    There's some great stuff in the eshop too. SteamWorld Dig, Mighty Switch Force, Mutant Mudds (Deluxe Version will be available as DLC soon), Little Acorns, VVVVVV, Cave Story, the 3D series by Sega, NES, Famicom and Gameboy Classics in the Virtual Console, Shantae's Risky Revenge, Dark Void Zero,... I'll take that over anything on the Vita tbh :)

15. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    I know what you are talking about,but we need all to accept 3DS is for children thats all,but as you mention games are for all ages even babes :)

[​IMG]

16. JustinFic

JustinFic Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    Game Designer / Programmer
    Las Vegas, NV
    I've got both the Vita and the 3DS XL. Both systems are great but I've had more fun with the 3DS in a week than I have with the Vita in a year(ish? I don't remember)

A Link Between Worlds is amazing. The new Fire Emblem is amazing. Pokemon X/Y is amazing. Animal Crossing is amazing. I'm a fan of JRPGs as well and there's a lot of good stuff on that front. Tales of the Abyss, Etrian Odyssey IV / Untold, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and I'm liking the Bravely Default demo as well.

And that's just the 3DS stuff. Dig around in the DS back catalog and you're good to go for years.

(Also, I didn't expect to turn into such a StreetPass junkie, but here we are)

17. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Personally, my favorite 3DS games have been:

Fire Emblem - I'm not a huge fan of Strategy/rpg type games, but this one sucked me in until the end. Put at least 100 hours into it and worth every moment
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 - I'm still a sucker for Mario Platformer's and this was fun.
    Super Mario 3D Land - I enjoyed the more open feel of the worlds, it reminded me of the spirit of Super Mario 64. It's a fairly easy game, but definitely fun IMO.
    Mario Kart 7 - I still play this game to this day in between other titles. Great Kart racer if this genre appeals to you
    Luigi's Mansion - A really fun game with some decent puzzles and good humor

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Steamworld Dig

19. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    yes!! Best eshop game!!

20. Love that people are giving great comments and keep them coming ... I've bought a few of them based on this.