Just bought the air, now contemplating exchanging..

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by souskei, Nov 4, 2013.

1. souskei

souskei Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Hey guys..

Real quick, I just bought my ipad air, and I love it.. BUT.. Now I'm contemplating exchanging it for a mini retina when it comes out.

I use my ipad for like 60 percent gaming and everything else falls in the 40 percent (media, web, typing, etc...)

So I wanted to hear from people that has both the mini and the ipad or have some experience with birth in real life use when it comes to gaming and web and daily use..

You think I should exchange the air for a retina mini?
    How's the mini when gaming (losing those few inches)?

Thanks guys!

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    There is an ipad2 and iPad mini in my household and I much much prefer the mini, some games look better on the bigger screen but I prefer the portability the mini gives and it feels much more comfortable in my hands. When it's time to upgrade I'll be choosing a mini.
    On the other hand my husband and daughter prefer the bigger screen size. My husband hates the mini but he is a big beefy bloke and my mini looks so dainty and fragile in his chunky hands. Which is great for me as I get my mini all to myself without him pestering for a play lol.

3. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    iPad Air = BIGGER Hands
    iPad Mini = smaller Hands

Both have same battery life.

For me the screen size doesn't matter when it comes to gaming.

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I think you should try them both for yourself and make the decision once you've compared them directly, to be honest. ^_^

Personally, having had the good fortune to be able to play with both the Air and the Retina mini in advance, I much prefer the Air for both work and play. The Retina mini simply doesn't have the screen size required to display small details in games legibly even with the higher resolution screen (e.g. unzoomed card text in Ascension), and playing games like Baldur's Gate is simply more frustrating than fun on the smaller device.

Again, though, the best way to find out what suits you best is to test both of the actual devices out yourself.

5. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I have big hands and prefer the mini over the ipad for gaming every day of the week.

6. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    For me I went from using an iPhone to using the mini for gaming so the increase in screen size was awesome. But if you're already used to using an ipad then the reduction in screen size could be a deal breaker for ya. It's just all personal preference.

7. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    I honestly prefer the mini since it is more lighter and very sleek design

8. souskei

Sep 1, 2009
    Thanks guys!
    Yeah, i just bought this ipad, yesterday.. So I'll give it 2 weeks and return it and try the mini.. If I end up missing the screen real estate, I'll just return and switch back :)..

9. Foxshade

Foxshade Member

Sep 16, 2010
    I've owned an ipad 1, 3 and mini.
    sold my ipad 3 once i got the mini. Really like the weight and size alot.
    but.... if i already had an ipad air......?.... well... will you lose money in the process of selling it?... can you exchange it?
    I would keep the Air unless you are on the bus alot.

Cheers~!

10. souskei

Sep 1, 2009
    Thanks man!
    Yeah I still have 12 says to exchange it.
    I don't know if the mini will be out by then, but if not I'll just return the air for a gift card and wait for the mini to come out..

11. If you type alot, the air is much better cause you can use 10 fingers.

12. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Ah, but can you get a Mini with 128 GB?
    Think I'll stick with my iPad 4 then.

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The forthcoming Retina mini? Yes.

14. ToyRookGames

ToyRookGames Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Go with the mini! I love the size of the mini. In my opinion it's a lot easier to hold for long periods of time (not just because of the weight but the size as well). I want one with retina display when they come up.

15. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Mini all the way, no question about it. But beware, the stock will be super thin and they said 2/3 customers will not be able to get a mini. It's gonna be a huge demand item.

16. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    For me it's iPad Air all the way.
    Some games is not suitable for the smaller screen.
    If it's not a portability issue, I wouldn't switch.