Worst thing about iOS gaming.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Metalhead980, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Metalhead980

Metalhead980 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    If you took away all the crappy website based java/flash games that are free normally and pawned off here for a buck we would have 100 games left on the app store.

To me that shows a lack of quality of games overall on the platform.
    For every awesome games like Nova2 or Deadspace we have 500 horrible endless runners or match 3 clones that flood our store that could be easily tried for free on a website...

Don't get me wrong I love my platform I just wished apple was better at quality control.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If that's the "worst thing" about iOS gaming then we're in good shape indeed.

3. Metalhead980

Metalhead980 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It would be a big issue if we didnt have great websites like this with an awesome community that helps people wade through the pile of crap on the app store...

Imagine if we only had the top 25 games listing to go by when looking for good games? That would be horrible!

4. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Hmm, i don't really think that having a huge amount of games available is necessarily a bad thing. Some people like endless runners and match-3 games, and can't get enough of them. They then sift through the crap (of which there's no denying that there is a lot) and then report on sites like this with the best of their findings, so that others can make informed decisions over what to buy. I personally can't see how it could get much better, really.

Also, the free flash game thing is a non-issue. With my ipod, I have a device that i can carry around in my pocket, which i can listen to my music whenever i want, which has decent battery life, and can then switch over to play games on demand. I cannot say the same for a laptop or even a netbook, which would be my only other options if i wanted to play some games that would be 'free normally'.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think its a great scene.

I only got into it about 3 months ago and now have about 300 games on my ipod !

I love it. Reminds me of the 80's when a bedroom coder could create a game alongside the huge industry veterans who work for a large company.

Yeah of course theres a ton of crap, back in the 80's you bought computer mags to see the reviews and decide what ones to buy (as there was also a lot of crap back then, not all rose tinted memories).

But now you can view videos on youtube, go to one of the many gaming sites for their review or listen to fellow users on forums.

As for 'only 100 decent games....' thats ridiculous. Theres many great games, all different types of games. Its easy to avoid the crap. Some games you hate others may love and vica versa. Theres a huge range for everyone.

And the best thing of all, you can pick up some great games for free or 59p or so. Amazing.

I'm so used to buying games for 20-30 quid and then getting bored of them easily. Now here you have SO many great games for 59p etc (but still people moaning !)

Shame about Flash but theres still a ton i do on my ipod...

- Plug it into the car so i can easily listen to podcasts/radio shows instead of having to cut a long file up into 3 cd's or so

- View graphic novels on my ipod

- Watch a lot of movies/tv shows

- Of course a ton of games as well !

Its a great scene right now with a great mix of games. I'm totally addicted to this gadget and its one of the best things in the last 30 years i've bought. As a kid in the 80's buying a single game on tape for £7.95 if you told me then what the future held i would be excited as anything. Quality games for 59p !! Result

6. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    The worst thing is all the whiners and haters and doubters.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yeah.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Clearly it's important to tell the apart the wheat from the chaff (which is where these sites come in). But it's great that there are games for pretty much every taste, and that buying the wrong game usually sets you back only a few dollars -- and gives you a chance to warn others.

9. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    2 Things:

First off, I totally agree about the horrendous plague of all things Flash on iOS. It's like I'm drowning in it. :p

Second, this user has obviously never visited the Android Marketplace.

10. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    exactly
    you think APPLE has bad quality control?
    android has NO quality control
    apps on the appstore are generally better than on the marketplace

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not so sure it's the worst thing... after all the internet is also awash with crap, but it's easy enough to find a good Flash game if you know where to look. I'd also put the number of decent games above 100, but you're right about the ratio, in comparison it's practically nothing.

12. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Since iphone doesnt have flash , developer that loved playing those games made them for iphone. Also what you consider crap , people love those quick play games. Plus you forgot to factor the part where people dont want to pay quality money for quality products. Its more on consumer than developers.

The only thing wrong with the appstore is the crying and moaning it allows. Its almost a joke at how many complainers there are in this world. So much bitching oh , this game doesnt have this or that feature. Even bloggers are worst with the crying and complaining. I never realizes how much spoiled brats actually existed until I came on this platform.

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Reading the reviews is incomparably the most painful/horrific/disturbing part of the AppStore.

14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yep, I totally agree. Thing is, it has so many things to offer which is so cool, and like any big store, you shop and get the things you want, and the variety insures that there's something for everyone's taste! Also, everyone gets a sweet deal all the time considering what you get!

15. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I was going to say the lack of a joystick+buttons, but I'll just +1 this instead.

I won't say this is the worst thing, but I dislike the fact that almost the entire industry has become cost-based. Other than a select few big name developers, the norm is to produce low-budget games for $1. Don't get me wrong. There are tons of $1 quick-play games that I like, but I also would like to see some medium or even high budget games in the mix. Of course, this result is the fault of the consumer base as a whole. When people prefer to spend their money on several pieces of junk rather than a single quality game, then all the developers will produce junk accordingly. Ok, rant's over, sorry about that.

16. dinoeggs777

Jan 24, 2011
    agreed
    that too
    people were all complaining about final fantasy 3
    when i told me parents i could get it here for 15 bucks instead of the 30 or so i would have to pay for the ds version, they were fine with it
    not everything has to be a dollar you know...
    its also partly the developer's fault
    i love sales, but gameloft having "dollar" sales just makes it harder for other large companies to compete with them, devalueing the experience in general

17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    What we need is a subforum with one clearly written additional rule: Complaining about prices = instaban, no exceptions. It sounds harsh and it is, but at least the topics would all be focusing purely on the games and not the controversy surrounding them. Anyone breaking the rule can't say they weren't warned, they had the rest of the forum to make annoying comments and get away with it.

18. dinoeggs777

Jan 24, 2011
    my bad
    it just kinda slipped out
    i rant a lot...
    i'll try to avoid it in the futre

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I wasn't talking about your post, just the people who ruin the games topics with pages of complaining :)

20. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    - Very few games worth playing and none that I actually play any more.
    - No buttons
    - Tiny screen
    - poor sound out of the speaker
    - Locked into iTunes
    - Gameloft
    - Game Centre is still useless.
    - None of my friends or anyone I know has an iPhone, they're all on Android.

Gonna get Android myself with the Galaxy S2 if it lives up to the promise. Flash and the bigger screen alone makes it worth it for me, also iTunes is the worst software I've used in a long time.