Banzai Bugs

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jonesy89, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonesy89

jonesy89 Member

Oct 4, 2009
    #1 jonesy89, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
    Hi Fellow touchArcadians,

Haven't been on the forums for a while as I have been working on what started out as a 48 hour gameplay blast.
    Since then (About 8 weeks ago), I have been working on Devilish Developments latest iPhone and iPod Touch release "Banzai Bugs".

I've got a blog going regarding some the issues I have had developing the game, for this game I outsourced the Art as well as used cocos2D for the first time. The previous game "BlockNRoll" was hand rolled code.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any constructive feedback on the preview video from you all, the game is at polish stage now and I will be looking to submit over the next week as long as my day job allows me and I don't come across any glaring bugs / issues!

Game Selling Points
    Simple Controls.
    Dynamic weather effects, based on gameplay.
    Challenge Modes give unlimited gameplay
    Game Center enabled
    Great music and Sound effects
    Cute main characters (Red, Green Yellow Bugs)
    Cute baddies (Snake, Spider and Bird)
    Local best score stored, for personal best comparisons.
    Achievements throughout the game, as well as various High score tables.

Cheers,

Steve
    Devilish Developments Inc.
    twitter: devilishdevelop
    blog: www.devilishdevelopments.com/wp

2. TouchHeartRo

TouchHeartRo Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    Seeing from your preview video, your game is easy to play. I'll wait for the later levels to challenge. Keep on going, guys.

3. Iljimae

Iljimae Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    So cute^^ I like how simple it is and gameplay as well. Keep it up!!

4. jonesy89

jonesy89 Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Thanks, and screenshots

Thank you Iljimae and TouchHeartRo for the feedback!

We shall keep polishing a little longer and updating this thread with info on the game.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the later "Belts", Black belt and Red Belt where there is all 3 of the baddies, the bird, snake and spider.

Screen shot 2011-05-26 at 11.11.03 PM.png Screen shot 2011-05-26 at 11.10.30 PM.png

Also later levels have 3 different coloured bugs, Red, Green and Yellow. Each of the bugs can only eat the same colour as itself, which makes gameplay much more difficult.

Also you can increase your score multiplier up to 5 by not letting you bug bounce on the floor.

Cheers,

Steve

5. jonesy89

jonesy89 Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Press pack available

I've created a press pack for the game, if any of you on the forum are in the press or are bloggers or reviewers, please take a look.

Also if other people have created press packs before and this one is missing something very obvious, I'd appreciate some feedback as well.

Press Pack Link

Cheers,

Steve

6. daniller

daniller Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    I feel relaxed with your music. "Chanllenges provide unlimited gameplay", it seems that I can get the challenges and excitement I want, not as simple as the trailer shows. Stay tuned for the surprises.

7. markomaksimovic

May 29, 2011
    Interesting app! Wish you luck!:)

8. SamJ

SamJ New Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Looks like fun! How far off is the game?

9. jonesy89

jonesy89 Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Heading for approval...

daniller: Thanks for the feedback, music took a long time to get the right track! I hope you like the game when it comes out, it gets pretty challenging in the later levels!

markomaksimovic: Thank you for the best wishes, it would be nice to know people like the app once they have played it. I'm always trying to find a nice gameplay mechanic.

SamJ: Thanks for the feedback and question. I'm sending the app to apple this weekend after one last profile and QA session. Might be a busy weekend, but should be fun!

Cheers,

10. jonesy89

jonesy89 Member

Oct 4, 2009
  11. jonesy89

jonesy89 Member

Oct 4, 2009
    E3 and putting an app in the store..

I've been wondering about this for a few days now and I can't decide what is better...

Releasing a game around E3, this could be a good thing as there are lots of people looking at the industry, so eye balls are all over everything. On the flip side the amount of press that it creates, means when I send emails to sites like touch arcade etc... I have very little chance of one of them going "sure we will feature your game, thanks for the press release".

Any other developers have thoughts on this? Should I hold back my game release, if / when it gets approved, until I can get sites like touchArcade to review?

Thanks for listening to me ramble...

12. jonesy89

jonesy89 Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Approved for the app store...

http://tinyurl.com/3um59k8

Just a quick update to say Banzai Bugs will be available on the iTunes App Store on the 24th of this month.

Currently working on the HD version as well as language translations.

Also any iPhone Game bloggers, journalists or reviewers, please get in contact and I'll provide a code for you to use to review the game.

13. TheCatsMeow

TheCatsMeow Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Cute game...but who is going to pay money for this game when you could buy foodies, same gameplay but with much more polish and fun?
    For the same price or less!

14. jonesy89

jonesy89 Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Hi CatsMeow,

Thanks for the candid feedback, it's a shame you think Banzai Bugs doesn't have as much fun as foodies. Looking at the gameplay footage of the game it actually plays differently to Banzai Bugs. It does look polished however and I will continue to improve and update Banzai Bugs (should it take on a reasonable following) until I get it to the same level of polish.