Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-30-2014, 12:13 AM
jamescam jamescam is offline
Member
iPad mini 2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 36
Default Basic question about reserving a game name

I will be launching my 1st iOS game in about 45 days and I would like to start building buzz but have a basic question about my game's name. Is there a way to reserve the name in the iOS (and Android) stores to ensure I dont put a lot of effort behind the brand only to find someone else has taken the name i've been pushing and building assets against? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-30-2014, 12:23 AM
javamex javamex is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 145
Default In iOS, add your app

I don't know about Android, but in iOS, you can add an app as soon as you have the basic metadata, then upload the actual binary at your leisure (up to 6 months after registering the app, as far as I'm aware).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-30-2014, 02:38 AM
Destined Destined is online now
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 743
Default

There is of course nothing to stop someone using a similar name, or the same name with an extra bit.

For example

Joe Rules
does stop someone calling their game
Joe Rules!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-30-2014, 06:04 AM
OnlyJoe OnlyJoe is online now
Member
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 96
Default

Makes sure you have set up your app in itunes connect before you start to advertise it. Creating it in iTunes connect does stop someone using an identical name. But it won't prevent slight variations, just look at the "2048" game, this is like "2048!" and "2048!!" and so on.
Also make sure your name is going to be the first result when people search for that term, otherwise its a waste doing a big marketing push. I made a game called "Shapes" that was a bit of a mistake, because it was like number 40 or so when you searched "Shapes" and so even when I told people to get my game they just couldn't find it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-30-2014, 12:03 PM
jamescam jamescam is offline
Member
iPad mini 2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyJoe View Post
Makes sure you have set up your app in itunes connect before you start to advertise it. Creating it in iTunes connect does stop someone using an identical name. But it won't prevent slight variations, just look at the "2048" game, this is like "2048!" and "2048!!" and so on.
Also make sure your name is going to be the first result when people search for that term, otherwise its a waste doing a big marketing push. I made a game called "Shapes" that was a bit of a mistake, because it was like number 40 or so when you searched "Shapes" and so even when I told people to get my game they just couldn't find it.
Wow, that stinks. Do you know why it wasnt 1st when people searched for Shapes? Was it an SEO thing?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Destined Destined is online now
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescam View Post
Wow, that stinks. Do you know why it wasnt 1st when people searched for Shapes? Was it an SEO thing?
Shapes is a very common word. It is no surprise that the search would look for the most popular apps related to that key word.


The real answer is you can trademark your name, but that costs and well beyond little indie outfits.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-31-2014, 04:16 AM
Option4Studios Option4Studios is offline
Junior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: U.K
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
Shapes is a very common word. It is no surprise that the search would look for the most popular apps related to that key word.


The real answer is you can trademark your name, but that costs and well beyond little indie outfits.
I trademarked my game name for 150/$250 before we go to Kickstarter to raise investment. So I wouldn't say its beyond little indie outfits, it's just whether you're willing to sacrifice a holiday or something if you have no money
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-31-2014, 03:29 PM
Destined Destined is online now
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option4Studios View Post
I trademarked my game name for 150/$250 before we go to Kickstarter to raise investment. So I wouldn't say its beyond little indie outfits, it's just whether you're willing to sacrifice a holiday or something if you have no money
That is much less than I thought however you still have the cost of defending that trademark! But that is just a days work which isn't too bad.

I guess it would make it easier to remove copy cat apps from the store with the trademark allowing you take out ones which are close as well (like the candy saga)
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent