iPad Real Racing 2 - (by Firemint)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 15, 2010.

1. glowAndy

glowAndy Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is intentional or not but on the 3gs the foreground has almost a speed blur too it. It looks really beautiful.

2. SstakK

SstakK Active Member

Mar 22, 2010
    i think that you can't even compare this with real racing 1. just because this one is actually a sim racer and it also feels that way. while real racing 1 was so arcady that you could take very sharp corners at 200+ kmh.

and the sense of speed is also much improved imo. At RR1 it felt like you were in some rocketcar. even when you were driving with a hatchback that went 190 kmh it felt like you were going 200+ at least. not saying it's a bad thing. as i like the fast feeling :D . if real racing 1 wasn't called real racing you probably wouldnt even mention/compare it.

3. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    why is it that even when I hit a racer straight on from behind my car suddenly flips sideways

4. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Well, maybe we are in the minority, but I also think the changes in RR2 are an improvement. And yes, this one is definitely more of a sim.

I guess the lesson is that you can't please all the people all the time. But I am happy Firemint came into this game with more of an emphasis on the "Real" in the title.

Also, it's kinda nice that this game doesn't make RR1 obsolete since they're so different from each other. I was expecting I'd just delete RR1 from my device after getting RR2, but after playing them both back-to-back I can see how RR1 will still have a spot on my device, even though I much prefer RR2. :)

5. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Such fun and so great to look at!

IMG_1152.png

IMG_1157.png

IMG_1166.png

6. Juicebox_R

Juicebox_R Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Is anybody else experiencing having no sound at all? I'm on a Iphone 4, not jailbroken. For me the intro has sound but the actual game has none at all.

7. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I had this problem on first boot but after quitting out and playing again it was fine, I did also turn on the skip intro option so the game boots directly to the game menu now, that might help you.

8. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I'm away at work at the moment. Just wondering if the drift thing is really an issue, or it's just you guys trying to drift with all the assists on? What happens if you turn off all assists?

And now that you mention it, the AI does seem scripted, instead of "real" AI.

9. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Am I missing something? IMO, the sense of speed is just right. I have every assist turned off and the game just... clicks.

As far as hitting other cars and nothing happens, I experienced a race last night where I rammed a car hard from behind and it spun out like crazy. I have never laughed out loud at a racing game happening ever, I don't think.

The AI is a bit scripted, but it's not a bad thing, IMO.

As far as drifting, I think you can do it if done properly. But I don't even like to spin out even a little bit, so I wouldn't know.

All in all, with the exception of a somewhat jittery frame rate and some off sound cues, this game is leaps and bounds better than its predecessor.

10. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    For everyone who's wondering why drifting isn't a key part of the game, it's because this game is about pure racing.
    You brake as you go into the corner and accelerate as you come out, just like in real life.
    If you want to drift then I suggest you buy one of the many arcade racers available such as NFS: Undercover/Shift, Asphalt 5 or Ridge Racer.

11. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    aside from the annoying sound bug (sound also disappears when a pop-up pops up) there's also one with the qualifiers..if you finish one and then select Retry instead of Continue it puts you at the 16th spot and you waste 5 seconds getting up to the start line before you start your lap

12. helmania

helmania Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Ok Firemint, Im just ready to delete this POS you are trying to pass as RR2 when it's in fact a completely different game. There's just way to many things that wrong with this game to label it RR2.

1. SLOW, very SLOW performance. The sense of speed in RR1 is missing gravely here. Driving a BMW in RR2 makes no difference. Looks like the entire game engine has been slowed down. A BMW feels the same as a ford focus.

2. I bump into an AI at 100MPH, I hear NO SOUND. But of course my car drastically slows down while the AI's car seems unaffected. They can drive off course as they please and suffer no lost in speed.

3. Drifting is now USELESS. An AI is 20 feet in front of you, your car slightly drifts in a corner, boom, now you can barely see the AI car. That doesn't only make the game boring, but sometimes in real life drifting if done right at the right angle, CAN help you take a corner more efficiently without having to slow down before hand. Why make it useless in this game?

4. I won't even talk about the ridiculous online here. Let's say I've been having a whole lot more fun playing the fast pace RR1 online than this 16 player lag and teleport infested crap.

5. I used to love the way the Ai would battle bump my car in RR1. That really kept me on my toes and sometimes I looked forward to be aggressive against the Ai. In RR2, no such thing, just a boring race over and over and over.

Words cant express how dissapointed I am. I hope an update will fix teh above and turn this into a true RR2 sequel.

13. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Drifting? This ain't The Fast and the Furious.

14. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    The thing is, just because a drift happens, it doesn't mean it's intentional. Any loss of traction is considered "a drift", and it occurs in brief intervals throughout sim racing. The difference between an iPhone game and your everyday sim racer is force feedback. Most play sims with a wheel, and with a wheel, you can feel right when the tyres are about to give and what the exact limit of grip is, and correct it through countersteering. There's none of that here.

A minor drift doesn't slow you down that much. I pulled a 2 second drift off a ramp on I-10 (not on purpose of course, but my car just lost traction). I'd be scared shitless if the car slowed down from 65 -> 30, but it was a very gradual loss of speed (caused in part due to my lifting). Drifting should be penalized, and should be the slower way around a corner, but it shouldn't be unrealistically handled. I can see why grass/dirt heavily punishes the player, because cutting corners is a quicker, cheating alternative around a track (there are rules in real life about 3 tyre contact). Drifting happens.

15. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    I really like this game to be more realistic, because Real Racing 1 was very arcadish...

I didn't buy it yet, so I can't post impressions.

16. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    wtfpos

17. Toad In The Hole

Toad In The Hole Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    **** All
    In A Hole
  18. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    having my car just flip sideways when I graze walls at speeds as low as 50mph (yeah it would probably kill a car in real life but 50 feels slow as a crawl in this game) is really pissing me off
    this game make me mad

19. HyphyCus

HyphyCus Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    No. Cali, US
    The game does feel slower. My main thing is using the controls where you tap the left and right of the screen to turn and the middle to brake. The middle to brake seems so very small. I'm constantly trying to brake when it turns me. The braking needs to be wider on the screen, so I'm not turning all the time.

THIS BUGS ME!!!!

20. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Well if you enter the corner correctly and lay off the gas or use the brakes before you enter the corner then it's easy to avoid drifting. I could probably win a 20 lap race on normal difficulty without drifting at all.