Universal Batman: Arkham Underworld

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Wizard_Mike, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I didn't look like there was a forum thread on this yet (even though there was an article on the front page about it a while back) so I figured I would start one.

Here's the official site: [URL="http://www.arkhamunderworld.com]www.arkhamunderworld.com[/URL]

I was wondering if anyone here had gotten into the beta or heard any rumored release dates.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more news on this. I figured it would be released pretty close to the release of Arkham Knight (which is next week), but maybe not?

2. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    [​IMG]

3. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Clash of clans is the best 'backyard monsters' clone ever. The monetization is awesome, and if you want you could spend no money at all. Plus it's fun building and defending bases.

4. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    No, no. It's both freemium and popular, therefore we aren't allowed to like it, or anything even remotely similar to it.

Oh, and if a game like that contains popular characters or themes that we ARE allowed to like, then we have to hate it even more because it ruins our childhoods or something along those lines.

5. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    #5 Kenan2000, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    When will players realize that it is NOT fun to play copies of other shitty free2play games?Can't they be satisfied with CoC?Just look at this - Activision releases CoD CoC ripoff,now this...I sincerely hope that someday these greedy kids will find out about appnana or featurepoints or something like that.

6. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    #6 Elsa, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    This. It's not that I hate CoC (well, maybe I do), but we are getting so many piggy back ride games lately that it's becoming quite absurd, even from big companies.

Step 1: Have a well known IP
    Step 2: Decide which popular game you're gonna re-skin (even if it's your own)
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit

7. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas

Here's some steps you can take in response.

Step 1: Learn about the new game that is a re-skin of a popular game and decide you don't like it.
    Step 2: Ignore it and move on, and don't begrudge those who enjoy it.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Everyone profits. :)

I really don't get the point of people griping about games they don't play. I don't like first person shooters, and I have my own negative opinions about the genre in general, but I would never consider even reading a thread on a first person shooter, let alone posting something in it.

I understand the negative opinions around Clash of Clans and similar games. I even have a lot of those opinions, myself. I just don't understand the compulsion to bring those negative opinions up every time something even slightly related is being discussed.

Life is too short to waste time discussing the shortcomings of a game in a thread you'll never even play. ;)

8. Kenan2000

Nov 25, 2013
    These who enjoy such games too much (whales and "FREE PLUZZZZ"kids) make developers create more and more crappy energy,timer games and make less premium games on ios just for the sake of cash.

Of course we will begrudge them,how can we just ignore these when they are LITERALLY everywhere?

9. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    Right on the spot again.

@Wizard_Mike Funny how you don't see replying to me as a waste of time as well.

10. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    So are Starbucks, McDonalds, Wal-Marts, cheesy pop bands, reality tv shows, etc. That's the nature of business. It's supply and demand. If you don't like what's in supply, don't sit around gripping about it. Create a new demand for something different.

All that you show to the makers of the games you complain about is that you aren't part of the demographic that the game is being marketed to. What you need to show is that there is another demographic that is worth marketing to. Just saying you hate freemium game models and the whales that support them doesn't produce the demand for something different or give the devs anything to work with.

The game industry is a business. Business is driven by money. Right now, the money is largely in freemium games. Would you go to your job for less pay, just because someone wanted you to? Nope. So you have to somehow show that there can be just as much money in premium games. Complaining about freemium games only tells the devs how you are NOT going to give them money. They need to know how you WOULD give them money, and that it would be worth the effort. Just saying that you only want to drop a dollar or two power game isn't going to be very compelling. A few voices in the crowd saying they would spend $30-$40 per game isn't going to be very compelling, either.

Don't waste time stewing over the problem. Focus on the solution. :)

11. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Of course not. I started the discussion. This was the direction it turned. I didn't bring you to this thread, you came to it.

My replies to things posted in here are not hypocritical, as you seem to think. There's a big difference from responding to comments in a discussion that I started to going into a thread about a topic I don't care for and complaining about it. ;)

12. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    Why do you assume I don't care about things I don't like?

13. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    #13 Wizard_Mike, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    By "topics you don't care for", in this context, I mean discussions on games you don't care to play.

It's like those people who have some conviction about something other people like and they just have to interrupt and proclaim their disapproval. Like hearing someone talking about a new menu item at McDonald's and butting in to educate them on how unhealthy the fast food chain is and how fat they are making everyone. Or seeing some guys checking out their new iPhones and telling them about the horrible labor practices the company uses overseas to produce the devices. I could go on with plenty of examples.

It's not that your opinion is invalid (it's very valid), or even that your opinion is different (in fact, as I stated earlier, I share many of the same negative opinions about Clash of Clans and other similar freemium games as you). The point is that this wasn't the topic to discuss those opinions.

Imagine this scenario, maybe it will help you understand my point. You're at a family gathering and you overhear some of your relatives asking each other what they thought of the latest episode of some crappy reality tv show that you have never even watched. You immediately walk over and school them on how stupid and mindless shows like that are and how people like them who watch those kinds of shows keep the tv producers making more and more of them. Those relatives would not likely be very appreciative of such an interjection. It's not that you're wrong, but that it just wasn't the right time to share those opinions.

Hopefully that helps you understand where I'm coming from.

14. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    You know this is a hipster site, because The majority of people here have PS3s/Vitas and use Apple products-- that's probably why they go against the popular games.

I haven't seen any footage yet, but if this game monetizes like CoC I'll be playing( especially if Deathstroke is in here)

15. Kenan2000

Nov 25, 2013
    Thing is that I'm one of these people,I've been also saying to make a free2play AND a premium version of the same game,that is my only idea,I don't see free2play as an actual gaming model.

16. JhongJil

JhongJil New Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Batman: Arkham Underworld

I seem to have an E-mail received from WB Games pertaining to this particular app. It is available to Philippines app store as of now though.

17. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I had figured that they would try to release this alongside Arkham Knight, but that apparently wasn't the plan. When is this ever coming out of soft launch?

18. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    To add to the anti F2P discussion I didn't like F2P at first and then I got a Japan App Store account and now at least for their games it's fine with me. The typical Japanesw F2P gives you 14 gifts right away and tend to give you more on a regular basis than others I have played. I am now not as much against it as I was before but my being against has nothing to do with hipsters :) hipster phase has pretty much been declared dead at this point sure there are a few hanger ons but it will soon be like the dinsaurs and go extinct. At least I hope so for humanity sake :)

19. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Looking forward to this. Any news?

And great replies Wizard Mike. Nice reading!

20. Maelwolf

Maelwolf Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    It's out, doesn't seem to be a lot of advertising though as it was pure chance I came across it.