Cantor 2.99->FREE (for TA's resident musicians and electronica fans)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Greyskull, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    #1 Greyskull, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    I'm posting this because there is a somewhat sizable number of synth users, musicians, and electronic BLEEPBOOPBEEPers(tm) on TA. This is a pretty powerful little app if you know how to use it.

Please read the description before you start breathlessly complaining that I posted a link for a broken app. It works fine; I have Garageband and OSC Thumbjam installed on my device. Audio paste into Garageband or send the midi signals to Thumbjam (or another app) if you intend to actually get use from this. I'm sure the high-end Korg, Yamaha, Nanostudio, etc. apps can be used as well. you can also combine both methods: open up the proper midi channels in an app such as Thumbjam; export via audio copypasta into your recording/post effect app. Now then:

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. timmis6010

timmis6010 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    #2 timmis6010, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    Cool, thanks for sharing. I am a "bleepboopbeeper" and will def try this out! :D

3. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I Bleep like a Speak & Spell, Bloop like Kraftwerk, and beep to the bop of the boo doo wop do wop.

4. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    #4 ninjackid, Nov 5, 2012
    Cantor?? Hardly know her!

*BA DUM PISH*

Lol but seriously,dude, this looks sweet. I am also a fellow bleepbloopbeepblooper anxious to try this out!

5. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    another fellow bleepboopbeeper here....willing to try this...looks a bit obscure as far as the UI and next to the propellerheads "figure" will probebly be a bit more hard to use....but thats waht being a true bleepboopbeeper is all about...right?

we should most def start a bleepboopbeeper group on here...where we introduce ourselves,musical tastes and tracks.....would all you guys join?

6. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    +1 for the group!
    Boing-boom-tchak :)

7. timmis6010

timmis6010 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yes, i'd join.

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    BeepBeepBoBeepBopBoBOOP! ;)

9. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    When I posted that, I was thinking of the album Speak and Spell by Depeche Mode, which really is mostly bleeps, beeps, tings, and boops. I rhink that it was the first electonica-heavy album I listened too (not first stynth, of course, that might have been a Who album).

10. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Is this just like a midi controller or what?

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    And another fellow bleepboopbeeper here! Agreed! But who can create it?

12. repapermunky

Aug 29, 2012
    #12 repapermunky, Nov 5, 2012
    I would absolutely join. Music is great.

PS Someone answer my question! Even after reading the description and other posts I'm still confused. Is it just a midi controller or is there something special about it that sets it apart? (besides the free price :p )

13. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    #13 Greyskull, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    It isn't a midi control at all, you need to SEND the midi signals to be processed in another app. It's a bit experimental, so a bit hard to explain.

EDIT: ooohhh... I guess it is a midi controller. I'm still learning myself. I'm a reformed bass guitarist, and you know we're not too bright ;)

14. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I'll admit, it's a bit hard to grasp the concept of this app, since the internal engine is driven by its output, which sounds a bit contradictory.

My advice? Watch the tutorials. Search for it on youtube. And don't attempt to figure it out if you have no other midi-capable apps. I'm lucky my GF has an iPad with a 30 pin connector...I picked up the ipad camera kit, which allows you to send midi via USB. I would buy a whatchamacallit...iMidi rig?...but the 30 pin connector will be dead in the future and I'm not sure there's any workaround. Supposedly Thunderbolt, including when used with 30 pin adaptors, can't or won't send out an analog audio signal. The 30 pin connector COULD. Damn you Apple. /rant <-most of my posts should have this disclaimer now adays. I think I've become a grumpy old man in the course of 6 months.

15. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #15 chris1a, Nov 5, 2012
    It is a midi controller (just like any midi keyboard/controller). You controll other synths/samplers/whatever via MIDI messages sent from this app. If you learn it it can do som expressive stuff if the sound source on the other end can receive continuous MIDI for example. Personally I haven't played around with all these controllers to much. Jordan Rudess company WizWhatever did a collab with the above dev on GeoSynth which uses the same technique as Cantor.

(it does have an internal audio source, but that's more for testing things out..)

16. repapermunky

Aug 29, 2012
    #16 repapermunky, Nov 5, 2012
    Hey guys, thanks for explaining it, I understand it a lot more now! Much appreciation! Anyways, I downloaded it and I've been playing around with it and it's pretty cool. Here's a tip: I went to robs appspot site that's in the cantor app, if you go you can get a free custom build of GeoSynth directly from Rob himself. It's like Cantor x2! Go try it out guys!

He's also got an experimental synth app called sweep that is just a black screen. It's pretty interesting. Looking at the video of him doing it, I am unable to make the same sounds with sweep as he did, if anyone figures it out lemme know :p

17. repapermunky

Aug 29, 2012
    Midi connect over wifi...? You can do it with many apps e.g. Lemur. Unless that isn't true midi... I'm not too experienced.