Which ICON is better? Need HELP here.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TapMad_D, May 29, 2013.

1. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    hi guys,

we are now working on our new title zombie commando, a retro pixel style action game. the development will be finished soon. we also have a thread in the upcoming column. if you are interested in our game, please check:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=190243

i wrote this thread because we are not sure about the icons. we made 2 versions based on the same desgin, but in different art styles. if you guys can help on deciding which one to use, i will REALLY REALLY appreciate!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    The top icon. The one that's not pixelated is the better one. :)

3. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I agree with harry.
    Your gameart is smooth and not too pixelated.
    The icon on top matches it very nicely.

4. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    thanks for the quick feedback!

ummm, you guys made your points.

the thing that concerns me most is that the game is in pixel style. will viewers of appstore take this as a cheating? a pixelized game with non-pixel icon?

5. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    It's a pixel game made out of pixel art preying upon the pixel nostalgia of nerds like myself. Pixel icon.

Now if the question is "which one of these icons do you think will attract more buyers browsing the app store?" That's a tougher call. This game seems destined for cult status, so I think you'll be fine either way.

6. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    Rarely is the icon for a game app a 100% truthful representation of what the game is/looks like. Nobody is buying an app based entirely on the icon without looking at the description/images first, so nobody will actually feel cheated. Basically, feel free to make the icon whatever you want as long as it's relative.

While I still side with the pixel icon, I think the casual, broader audience would pick the first one. Purely because it's cleaner looking and by standard logic is more aesthetically pleasing, and also because the casual market doesn't even care to differentiate between game art styles. To them it's whatever looks cool. But me, I get what you guys are doing, and I love the art style. Whatever icon you pick, the game itself still looks good.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The bottom one is better. That's one nice bit of pixel work there, the amount of detail for the size of the icon is awesome. They both look great but the bottom one matches the game and makes more sense.

Tiny Tower and Pixel People are proof that people don't shy away from pixel art in icons.

8. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    It really is well done. To fit that much detail in that style into something so tiny without it turning into mush. Pretty impressive.

9. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    thank you SO MUCH, @nodoctors. i feel flattered.

your point is loud and clear, so as other fellows'.
    we will keep collecting feedbacks, from you guys, from friends and families as well, then we make the decision. of course, i will let you people know what the final decision is, in case you cannot find the game in appstore.

yeah, the pixelized icon took us much time to make.