Rejections: the weird and frustrating

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Flickitty, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #1 Flickitty, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
    I searched for a thread like this but couldn't find one.

The free version of our game was first submitted in September. Within a week, it came back 'Your App was REJECTED'.

The reason: We used the keyword 'Demo'. Free versions cannot be called a demo nor a trial version. We had build a new binary in order to resubmit, just so that we could change a single keyword.

We haven't had any problems since.

I'd like to hear experiences from other developers- I know there are some crazy rejections out there.

2. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Sounds logical being rejected on those grounds. And by logical, I mean Apple's definition of logical ;)

3. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Apparently it's a rule somewhere in the guidelines about the word "demo"

Stupid rule. I can see why Apple want to avoid a load of demos mixed in with the real apps. I guess 'lite' or 'free' does appear slightly better to customer perceptions.

4. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Probably because having lite versions looks better. Apple boasts about its 120,000 apps, or whatever, but they really couldn't claim that if half were called demos. "Lite version" sounds like a fully functional app, just with a few less features than the "pro version".

5. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    it might be because the words demo and trial are associated with other things like construction(demolition) and litigation a trail could also mean an ordeal or strugglesp some apps might have it in thier title or there might be apps that demonstrate some sort of yoga move karate kick to the groin martial art skill that some people might like to practice and master. apple might have started to disallow these words for trial version apps in an ongoing effort to to improve whatever it is blah blah blah im tired of typing you probably know what i mean

6. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    yep. we've had our share of issues - one of the first :)

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-rejected-app-store-game-over-keyword-disagreement-1055771/
    http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/apple-rejecting-apps-based-on-non-relevant-keywords-2009098/
    http://www.macplus.net/itrafik/depeche-48992-rejete-pour-un-mot-clef

we used the word "facebook" :) if you dig into the developer pages; they have a bunch of guidelines around keywords (now).. which you can read and get a good idea of what you should and should not do. it is very frustrating you need to resubmit a binary for this - they should just be removing the bad keywords for you and approving your application.

7. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Bingo. The apps have to be fully functional apps. That's why they don't allow you to show locked levels in your "lite" version(read the second half of this blog post for more info: http://gamesfromwithin.com/at-the-mercy-of-apples-whim) Annoying, but at least they're somewhat consistent.

8. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    For a lot of developers, I think getting rejected over a keyword would suck, just because you have to resubmit a new binary and start the process over.

That rejection actually helped us in the long run.

The original name of our game was simply called 'Flick'. Doing a google search for flick return a mess of irrelevant links. 'Flick' also closely resembles the f-word when capitalized. And then there are the mess of games titled 'Flick Bowling', 'Flick Fishing', which could cause confusion.

That extra week allowed us to rethink the title, and make the change to 'Flickitty' before resubmitting. It also bought us some time to update a few things that would have appeared in the first update. Flickitty never actually had a 1.0 version- we entered at 1.01.

At this point, I'm not sure the keywords actually do anything.

9. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Unless you're ngmoco, in which case you're even allowed to put a 'locked levels' screenshot as the game's #2 image in the App Store. Check out Star Defense Prelude. :mad::mad::mad:

10. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

11. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Fwish recently had a rejection for an app that allowed the user to make it seem like the iphone screen cracked. - Rejected on the grounds it might confuse users into thinking their screen was actually broken. :p

12. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev

I can just imagine the Apple Reviewer for that one: He starts up the app, and screams "AAAAAaaaahhh! This app just cracked my SCREEN! REJECT! REJECT!" as he pounds away at the Big Red Reject Button.

13. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

If you look on eBay, almost all the "for parts" iPhones are there because of cracked screens. I think Apple might be a bit sensitive on the subject ;)

14. #14 Broken Thumbs Apps, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
    Over the weekend, I wrote about our latest app being rejected for the same reason as our previous app (which we had fixed in our previous app, and which was also fixed in our initial submission of our latest app). After some back and forth, our latest app is now thankfully approved.

For reference, here are a couple related sites - they summarize a few of the rejection letters that have been made public, and, *EDIT: if you haven't already, =)* it's good to familiarize yourself with these sites before submitting an app to iTunes:

http://appreview.tumblr.com/
    http://www.mobileorchard.com/avoiding-iphone-app-rejection-from-apple/

15. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    We actually paid attention to other horror stories of rejection before we submitted our app. Prior knowledge of the process led us to a few changes and helped us to decide what to include in the free version.

While we knew we couldn't call it a 'demo' on the splash screen or icon, we didn't think it would conflict as a keyword/tag. Other games seem to have used it. But now we know.

16. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    #16 lukeca, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  17. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    this guy should be shot. what an ass. specifically:

"I should have let it sit for a week, I know, but I couldn’t help myself."

what type of reviewer is this? this is crazy. if this is real; it should really be brought to the attention of apple - this isn't reviewing content; it's like he has a quota on how many apps he must reject.

18. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's just a joke... I doubt any real app reviewers are allowed to publicly talk about any part of the process

19. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I'm not sure how I feel about that guy. On one hand, it is kind of funny because I know a lot of developers that are just complete asses themselves.

On the other hand, I know a lot of developers that are honest and hard-working, and they deserve to be treated better than that.

20. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA