Universal Poptile (by 1Button)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by 1Button, Jul 18, 2014.

1. 1Button

1Button Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    Hello!

We are releasing a new game next Thursday: Poptile

[​IMG]

Full video: https://vimeo.com/101079575

This game is all about popping tiles :)

It's very easy to play: all you have to do is to tap the group of tiles you want to destroy. But be careful, a new line is added after each tap so you must find the best moves in order to prevent the tiles from filling the screen.

Don't worry, you can easily trigger big chain reactions and there are power-ups to help you.

There is no timer, so you can take your time to think before playing if you need to.

Poptile will be free with an optional iap to unlock 20 colorful themes.

As usual, if you want to try it out before its release, send me a PM :)

2. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    This looks rad!

3. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    The game play reminds me of a cross between Tetris and Threes. You have to watch the top to make sure you don't get too high like in Tetris, but it also has that one in/one out rule like Threes forcing you to figure out the best move to make to eliminate rows with each move you make. If you are clever enough you will be able to set up eliminations to help you with future eliminations. It's all about seeing what's coming down the line. I like how clean and polished everything is although I did notice the word "to" was missing in one line of the tutorial dialogue. The themes are a nice addition and I did play with the flappy theme for a little while and that was fun. Maybe include a few more fun themes that reference other games? I will play more and see what other impressions come to light.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Awesome, you guys at 1Button always manage to delight me ;)

5. Testopi

Testopi Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Thanks! I like the Game very much. Maybe include a Reverse Mode, from Top to Bottom. The Game-Center Screen is one of the best i ever seen.

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Awesome I think my dad will love this one. He cannot do games with any kind of time factor. Except Tetris for some reason. I was finally able to teach him threes. It took me over an hour!

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I knew without playing that I would love this, there hasn't been a single game from you guys that I haven't loved.
    Art in this ones reminds me of style of mr flap. I'm short on time and waiting for my gameplay vid to upload so will pop back in an hour or so with proper impressions.

8. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks for the code! Simple single-tap game mechanic with beautiful eye-candy reminiscent of Puzzlejuice...a complement, in my book. Definitely a cool time-waster for those short, entertaining diversions. Who needs a KitKat when you have Poptile?

I have one minor niggle: once the themes are enabled, they only apply to the single device it was launched on. However, while the game simultaneously downloaded on both my Air and iPhone 5, the theme downloaded on the former, but not the latter, requiring an additional purchase. IOW, the end-user could end up paying twice for the theme if he chooses to have the game on multiple devices.

9. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk

At first Poptile looks like a simple match three clear the board type game, which it is but after playing for several hours I discovered it's much more than that, you start with a bunch of colours and you've gotta tap tiles to destroy them, you can destroy individual tiles but the points come when there's three or more tiles of the same colour vertical or horizontal touching. Each time a tile is removed a new row if colours are added, you've got to keep removing tiles until the rows hit the top of the screen and it's game over.
    At first I was clearing tiles at random and it's very easy to concentrate on one side if the board without realising the other side has risen up and hit the top.
    To gain a decent score though you got to plan ahead and try to remive tiles so that the ones left behind drop and trigger combos, all while keeping an eye on the height, so while it can be a casual game it's very much like threes in that to get high scores you've goat use some strategy. One game lasted me over half and hour yesterday as I was trying to figure out the reaction if moving specific tiles.
    There's three power ups to help you, one clears three rows, one stops the rows from rising for a few turns and the other removes all tiles of a chosen colour from the board. I'm really happy to see that these are earned as you play and not via Iap, whilst they can help you get out of a tricky spot, they in no way make the game easy, they just give you a welcomed bit of breathing space for a turns.

The thems are adorable and I was happy to see the mr flap one free. Simple sound effects when tapping tiles and an alert when your rows are one away from hitting the top fit in well with the minimal style, but can also be removed.

I'll be unlocking some themes to support 1button and this game will be going in my puzzle folder along with pile,seq and bicolor, all of which are worth every penny.

10. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    Thanks all for your feedbacks!

:( Thank you! We'll fix this typo asap.

If you had paid for the themes (regular iap), you'd be able to restore your purchase on your other device. Even if you'd tried to buy the themes a second time, it'd tell you that you already bought that item.
    Here you used our home-made "magic link" system to unlock the themes, which works for one device only (as we are currently not using iCloud sync for this game). I'll send you another link for your iPhone :)

Thanks Cloudpuff for the detailed review :)
    The video doesn't work btw.

11. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #11 coolpepper43, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    The video is working for me. I think I now understand the game play. If you can tap a single block than how could this game be at all challenging? Maybe I'm missing something?
    Edit, I get it now. Since each move creates another row of tiles it doesn't matter if you can tap a single tile. You would hit the top in several moves if you don't choose carefully.

12. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Yeah, the hitting one tile is useful for bringing lots of smaller clusters together to make a bigger one but would get you game over quickly if you did it all the time.
    The more I play this the more I love it.

13. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    Yes, Poptile shares several general rules with Threes and that's why it feels similar! Here are the elements we wanted Poptile to feature:
    • Simple game mechanics
    • Small/restricted game area
    • A penalty after each turn to require strategy and optimal moves to succeed in the game

We were also interested in creating a game that makes use of the vertical height of the screen.

14. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    Is there anyone else who would like to try the game before it is out?

15. Geertyy

Geertyy Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Thank you for the code. I just played my first game. My first impression is that this is another simple but good game, which is typical for 1Button games. I like it and I'll have to play some more to be able to come up with certain strategies etc. but I already enjoyed my first game. I didn't really understand when a chain would get triggered though. Sometimes I put 3 or more tiles together by removing other tiles, but it wouldn't trigger them, where other times it would.

16. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    #16 1Button, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    When you line up 3 or more tiles, they disappear, for example:

[x][x][x]
    [y][y][x]
    =>all the Xs disappear

[x][y][z]
    [x][y][z]
    [x][x][y]
    => all the Xs disappear as well

Here they do not disappear:

[y][z][y]
    [x][z][z]
    [x][x][z]

I hope it is clearer now :) But after a few games it becomes natural and you start improving your score!

17. Geertyy

Geertyy Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    I understand now, thank you for explaining!